Franchise Hockey Manager 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Here's the latest update on the new hockey game from the developers of OOTP Baseball. Taken from their official forum:

Since we added a few things for the historical mode into the second pre-beta version I can talk about it a bit:

First of all, the modern game has absolute priority for us in version 1. That said, right now I would say that changes are good to have at least a basic form of historical play.

As others already wrote, with hockey it is much harder to have a historical mode comparable with OOTP. We can't generate ratings from stats, the NHL player database we use is less detailed then the Lahman DB for baseball, we do not have Play by Play data for old seasons.

So what can you (realistically) expect from us in version 1: a database with all NHL teams and players (with bio data and basic career stats). We found a way to rate player without rating them for every year they played in the NHL: basically, each player will get ability ratings for 5 points in his career (start, pre-prime, prime, post-prime, end) and a pre-defined template that describes him best so we can generate plausible skills for every year he played. It will be possible for the researcher to rate prominent player in more detail if the templates are not enough.

So what you most likely can expect from version 1 is the ability to start the NHL in the past, continue through the years, rookies will show up in the draft pool (or assigned to the real teams, your choice), finances will be modified to reflect the time and stats will reflect the years as well (at least stuff we have data for: scoring level, penalties).

I don't want to promise more, time will tell how much resources we can use for historical mode. But hey, even with "just" basic possibilities it is more then most other hockey games offer.

Historical play..:bow::bow::bow:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Sweet. I haven't played OOTP, but I've heard tons of great things and it always seems to get rave reviews.

If it's coming out later this year, it's a must-buy for me when it goes on sale during Steam's holiday sales. If not, then next year's summer sale (NHL 13's BAGM mode is a huge improvement over last year's, so that should tide me over).

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Been six years since we've gotten a truly detailed GM game. Lots of eager beavers out there.

I will definitely be following this.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
a possible historical mode makes me really happy.

If only it would have historical random debut in it :) hopefully if it sells well they can continue to up the ante like OOTP does!

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
How much does something like this cost? and can you do it online against other real people or is it solely an offline manager?

Zeroknowledge*

Whatever this costs, I will pay it.

same here, I have no restrictions, I will probably play this for hundreds of hours.

This will make NHL EHM 07 look like NHL 97 compared to NHL 13

Zeroknowledge*

Really looking forward to this, the OOTP games haven't dissapointed me since god knows when... And with the amount of editable content even one version could last us years, although I would buy it if they release a new version yearly without hesitation.

The main thing that pissed me off in EHM was the high scoring and how 50 players would be ppg players every year, that will most likely be editable in FHM. Another thing that I love about the OOTP series which I hope this game will have is those rare late round gems that can sometimes become superstars through an improved progression after being drafted.

As long as they get realistic scoring, a good scouting and drafting system and good player progression then I'm a happy camper.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Oh man... my loyalty to EHM 2007 might become questionable with this game coming out. For sure going to drop the $40 or however much it costs to check it out.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I was really surprised when I saw the provisional release date. It's been so long since EHM went under and there have been so many pretenders that a wait of a few months seems almost too good to be true.

EDIT: I have been following WTHM now FHM, but I hadn't seen this quote from Habsfan18:
"That said, let's start with the basics: the game will let you pick a season and play from there - if you want to start in 1955, you get the teams and rosters that actually existed then. Every year, the new rookies will be added, and depending on your preferences, you can have them either show up on their historical teams or be available for drafting and signing. Hate that your team traded away a future Hall of Famer for a guy that broke down a couple of years later? Now you can avoid the mistake. Were they ruined by year after year of incompetent drafting? Well, do it yourself and see if you can make better picks. Been waiting four-plus decades for a cup? Go win one yourself."

I thought this was still a 'maybe next time' kind of thing. As a Canucks fan, this pleases me greatly. So much botched history.

Zeroknowledge*

I was really surprised when I saw the provisional release date. It's been so long since EHM went under and there have been so many pretenders that a wait of a few months seems almost too good to be true.

EDIT: I have been following WTHM now FHM, but I hadn't seen this quote from Habsfan18:

I thought this was still a 'maybe next time' kind of thing. As a Canucks fan, this pleases me greatly. So much botched history.

Leafs fans will have a blast then

:sarcasm:

SkepticalDougO

Jul 8, 2010
Louisiana
Played OOTP a few years ago (great game, just not a baseball fan) and am really looking forward to this. OOTP is a great game, and if they can get this on par with OOTP from a few years ago it'll be a great game as well. I am a text sim geek so this is huge we're finally getting another hockey game. Now just need to get a new football / college football- waiting for Front Office Football to get an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad