WC: France at the 2010 World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagger Bomb

Jul 7, 2008
I was just looking over the pools for the upcoming World Championships and one team comes to mind as a striking surprise... Team France qualified for the top level tournament. When was the last time France competed in the top level? I know their World Junior squad made it once or twice, but what about at the senior level? Is this a first in some time?

Group A: Russia, Belarus, Slovakia, Kazakhstan
Group B: Canada, Switzerland, Latvia, Italy
Group C: Sweden, Czech Republic, Norway, France.
Group D: Finland, USA, Germany, Denmark.

Any notable French players to keep an eye on throughout the tournament?

Jagger Bomb

Jul 7, 2008
Wow.. pardon my ignorance, t'was a long night. On a side note, since I was digging all that up I noticed Australia made it to Div 1 last year, they've since been relegated but still impressive to see they are making strides

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
I could be wrong, but isn't Patrice Brisebois eligible to play for France?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
I could be wrong, but isn't Patrice Brisebois eligible to play for France?
Has he played the mandatory 2 seasons in France? No? He's not eligible then (I'm assuming he is a Canadian citizen).

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
France actually has more registered hockey players than Norway, Slovakia, Latvia, Belarus and Denmark.

I think the quality of hockey in France is not that good though. They do like hockey and have produced at least one NHLer. I've seen some younger players have started to come over to the Qmjhl to play hockey also.

Another potential NHL player is 20 year old Stephan Da Costa who is in college playing for Merrimack. He has 44 points in 31 games in his freshman season. Pretty impressive.

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14394

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Huet's the only notable, and he's not really that much of a notable. If the Hawks get swept we'll see him play..maybe..

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
I remember when Brisebois had a falling out with the Habs a few years ago when he was supposedly injured and spend his "rehab time" in France for some reason. I can't remember him representing Team Canada, so he wouldn't have to play 4 years there to become eligible if he does have French citizenship.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
I remember when Brisebois had a falling out with the Habs a few years ago when he was supposedly injured and spend his "rehab time" in France for some reason. I can't remember him representing Team Canada, so he wouldn't have to play 4 years there to become eligible if he does have French citizenship.
Not four, but he would still have to play two.

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
The rule is 4 years and only if you've represented another national team from the age of 18 and up (I believe that is the age). If Brisebois hasn't represented Canada over that age, and if he has French citizenship, he would be eligible.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
The rule is 4 years and only if you've represented another national team from the age of 18 and up (I believe that is the age). If Brisebois hasn't represented Canada over that age, and if he has French citizenship, he would be eligible.
No he would not. He would still have to play 2 seasons in France. The rule is 4 years if you have played for another country, 2 years if you haven't.

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
Bozon and Huet are the only two French-born players to have played in the NHL.

And yeah, people like to rag on Huet, but he's easily the best French-born player to have ever played the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad