Frame of Mind

RedSeven*

I know this year was disappointing but I look at the future of the franchise I have to be pretty pumped. We are trending in the right direction with the players in our system and at the end of the day only one team wins the cup and all you need is one year. Look at Carolina. A small step back this year could be a blessing in disguise.

It's better to see the truth now and fix the issues so we can grow than blindly pretend everything is good.

Alfie, he was here for 17 years and he left his mark on the the team and the players he played with. As such a great leader, do you not think that maybe he taught Jason something about leadership? The guy gave Jason the ringing endorsement for Captaincy even before he left, a guy he played 10 full seasons for and got to know quite well. Jason has only bled for one team, he bleeds Senator RED, he wanted the Captaincy, he's been incredible with the media and taken criticism with his head held high and like a man with character and integrity.

Do you really want him to take all the hard work, sacrifice, experience and help another team. Jason seem's to be pretty popular with the younger players. The way Bishop even talks about Jason you can tell young players really respect him.

I see this as the new beginning. A beginning where Jason can continue to grow as Captain here bring us back to the finals.

We cannot just go with young players. The amount of pressure on our young players including Karlsson will be way too much. And, do you really want a bunch of those fans looking for a scapegoat start hating on our younger players? Because that's what will happen.

We do not want to become the Edmonton Oilers. We need veteran guys like Jason with thick skin who can deliver under pressure while our young guys like Zibanejad and Turris and Lazar and Cody Ceci et all develop.

I see a very good SENS team for a long long long time. Our veteran's in our core are 30 and 26.

I mean Karlsson is only 23 and Lehner is 22. These guys are going to win us a CUP. Yes they are young but man, when those two are in their prime this team is going to be set up nicely.

We have an AWESOME group of young guys coming up.

Size, Speed and a generational talent in Karlsson. I am also looking forward to the day, when everyone is trying to tell us that Lehner not Karlsson is our best player.

I of course will likely disagree.

Happy Easter.

GO SENS GO

Last edited by a moderator:

The Fuhr*

I agree we need vets to help guide the youth, I just hope this team can afford them after this season when big raises are expected everywhere.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I really hope they keep Spezza but I think he's done in this city.

Bye to the most talented player this organization has ever had.

It's mind boggling to see just how many great players we don;t have anymore

Hossa
Havlat
Chara
Vermette
Fisher
Hossa
Kelly
Spezza

Every single one of those players except is still a significant player in this league

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I agree we need vets to help guide the youth, I just hope this team can afford them after this season when big raises are expected everywhere.

A valid point that sidesteps the point of the thread. We might have seasons where we dont go all in and arent the most competitive team, but we are well set up and we have all the tools and pieces to be a highly successful team. A lot of teams cannot say that.

The Fuhr*

A valid point that sidesteps the point of the thread. We might have seasons where we dont go all in and arent the most competitive team, but we are well set up and we have all the tools and pieces to be a highly successful team. A lot of teams cannot say that.

Money could easily stop this team from having
- PPG center
- Number 1 winger
- Number 2 winger
- Number 2D
- Number 1G

A year from now we could lose all those pieces because of $$$

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
- PPG center
- Number 1 winger
- Number 2 winger
- Number 2D
- Number 1G

We could, but thats extremely unlikely and entirely unpredictable.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
- PPG center
- Number 1 winger
- Number 2 winger
- Number 2D
- Number 1G

A lot of things can happen between now and then, how about we wait until the off-season and see what happens before we push the panic button.

The Fuhr*

We could, but thats extremely unlikely and entirely unpredictable.

Just the other day the Sens budget was released at 56-57 million

That's fine this year but in order to just keep the team together ownership will need to spend 65ish soon.

I hope contract extensions happen this summer even with the budget... Worried the team will go into the season with the 5UFAs to be unsigned

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Just the other day the Sens budget was released at 56-57 million

That's fine this year but in order to just keep the team together ownership will need to spend 65ish soon.

I hope contract extensions happen this summer even with the budget... Worried the team will go into the season with the 5UFAs to be unsigned

I dont think its as huge a deal as your making it out to be.

Anderson needs to prove he deserves an extension, or Lehner needs to prove he can handle the starting job. Thats good competition.

Ryan is coming off a career low in points and he's only played one season on our club. No reason for him to resign for a discount and no reason for us to give him more than 5.5 or 6 mil. Methot is in a similar boat. He fell slightly out of favor with the organization this year, and he has a lot to prove.

Spezza, theyve likely already reached a decision on.

MacArthur, should we really commit and pay him like a 60 point player? There's a lot up in the air, and we ended the season 5 days ago. They will retain the guys they want.

The Fuhr*

I dont think its as huge a deal as your making it out to be.

Anderson needs to prove he deserves an extension, or Lehner needs to prove he can handle the starting job. Thats good competition.

Ryan is coming off a career low in points and he's only played one season on our club. No reason for him to resign for a discount and no reason for us to give him more than 5.5 or 6 mil. Methot is in a similar boat. He fell slightly out of favor with the organization this year, and he has a lot to prove.

Spezza, theyve likely already reached a decision on.

MacArthur, should we really commit and pay him like a 60 point player? There's a lot up in the air, and we ended the season 5 days ago. They will retain the guys they want.

A slow start and none of them signed ... Rental prices were brutal this year, want to avoid that situation.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
A slow start and none of them signed ... Rental prices were brutal this year, want to avoid that situation.

Rental prices were brutal due to an unnatural reduction in the cap without rollback salaries. There is no indication that this will be the case again, and all signs point to the market evening out next year as the cap bumps up a bit.

Not to mention, were rental prices really that brutal? I saw David Legwand, Vanek (1st trade), Moulson, Miller and Callahan all get fantastic returns.

The Fuhr*

Rental prices were brutal due to an unnatural reduction in the cap without rollback salaries. There is no indication that this will be the case again, and all signs point to the market evening out next year as the cap bumps up a bit.

Not to mention, were rental prices really that brutal? I saw David Legwand, Vanek (1st trade), Moulson, Miller and Callahan all get fantastic returns.

Callahan + 1 + 2 for MSL
Moulson for plug + 2 2nds
Vanek for. 2nd + b prospect

Fantastic returns? Not from my point of view

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Callahan + 1 + 2 for MSL

Maybe Callahan, Moulson, and Vanek are overrated, rather than the return is something we should underrate?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
meh...even if we spend to the cap, the league won't let us win a Cup. They'll do like they did last time against Anaheim and drastically change the officiating standards to benefit whoever is playing against us.

Just enjoy watching the kids for a while and hope we can spoil the day of some of the big and favored teams out there when we can.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Callahan + 1 + 2 for MSL

Vanek returned Moulson + 1st + 2nd in the first trade.

If we dealt Spezza + late 1st + late 2nd for a BETTER player signed for longer, you'd be upset?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I know this year was disappointing but I look at the future of the franchise I have to be pretty pumped. We are trending in the right direction with the players in our system and at the end of the day only one team wins the cup and all you need is one year. Look at Carolina. A small step back this year could be a blessing in disguise.

It's better to see the truth now and fix the issues so we can grow than blindly pretend everything is good.

Alfie, he was here for 17 years and he left his mark on the the team and the players he played with. As such a great leader, do you not think that maybe he taught Jason something about leadership? The guy gave Jason the ringing endorsement for Captaincy even before he left, a guy he played 10 full seasons for and got to know quite well. Jason has only bled for one team, he bleeds Senator RED, he wanted the Captaincy, he's been incredible with the media and taken criticism with his head held high and like a man with character and integrity.

Do you really want him to take all the hard work, sacrifice, experience and help another team. Jason seem's to be pretty popular with the younger players. The way Bishop even talks about Jason you can tell young players really respect him.

I see this as the new beginning. A beginning where Jason can continue to grow as Captain here bring us back to the finals.

We cannot just go with young players. The amount of pressure on our young players including Karlsson will be way too much. And, do you really want a bunch of those fans looking for a scapegoat start hating on our younger players? Because that's what will happen.

We do not want to become the Edmonton Oilers. We need veteran guys like Jason with thick skin who can deliver under pressure while our young guys like Zibanejad and Turris and Lazar and Cody Ceci et all develop.

I see a very good SENS team for a long long long time. Our veteran's in our core are 30 and 26.

I mean Karlsson is only 23 and Lehner is 22. These guys are going to win us a CUP. Yes they are young but man, when those two are in their prime this team is going to be set up nicely.

We have an AWESOME group of young guys coming up.

Size, Speed and a generational talent in Karlsson. I am also looking forward to the day, when everyone is trying to tell us that Lehner not Karlsson is our best player.

I of course will likely disagree.

Happy Easter.

GO SENS GO

I worry about turning into The Oilers too, which is why people here who want to gut the team for youth probably don't realize that you need a lot of ingredients to make a team.

By the way, I think this may be your first post that doesn't include firing MacLean!:laugh:

John Holmes*

I'm a proponent of going with a youth movement, and I lived through the expansion years.

Sure we need vets. How about vets that don't suck though?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad