Foy's having an unreal preseason game...

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by thestonedkoala, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. It makes sense that the Wild would pair up Foy with Bouchard, who has similiar skills, albet a little better to a lot better skills than Locke. He has two goals, two assists for four points against the Rangers tonight :D.

2. Draft Guru

Draft Guru Registered User

Please note the Rangers defense for this game:

Boris Mironov
    Dale Purinton
    Bryce Lampman
    Craig Weller
    Lawrence Nycholat
    John Jakopin

Not to mention it was the Rangers' third road game in three nights, after stops in Dallas and Detroit. Many players were scratched for this one. Let's take this game with a grain of salt, considering the circumstances. As much as you like Foy, he is NOT god and just because he put up 4 points in a meaningless game won't change that.

:teach:

:D

3. Hossa

Hossa Registered User

Student of the Game
    Home Page:
    Man, I could skate faster than half those guys. Although I once met and hung out with John Jakopin, so I like him.

4. Jamie

Jamie Registered User

Home Page:
    No matter how you look it at it's still good. It could be AHL players completely on defense and it still would be a decent feat. Good for Foy, hopefully he can break the Wild this year and have a good rookie season and continue to a good career as I think he will.

5. Kritty

Kritty Registered User

Home Page:
    And it starts with Foy already. One game and here we go.

6. Aaron Vickers

Aaron Vickers FC Hockey

Managing Editor, FC Hockey
    Home Page:
    Great.

Now Foy >>> Crosby

Screw Ovechkin vs. Crosby, a new rivalry is a brewin'...

Stay tuned to hear how Crosby answers Foy's 4 point night!

7. aylib

aylib User and abuser

Home Page:
    Whoever said anything about Crosby?

8. Bookman

Bookman Registered User

Home Page:
    Sure it's only preseason, and sure the Rangers suited up an AHL worthy defense, and sure it was the Rangers 3rd game in 3 nights, but 4 points is nothing to sneeze at. If it was so easy, why doesn't every hot prospect light it up, eh smart guys?

9. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    I agree that although it is preseason, a 4 point night against even an AHL blueline is decent. No, he isn't going to score 320 points in the NHL this year. But for the offense starved Wild, he could definitely become an asset.

10. Also if you look at the lineup for the Wild, they don't look that great. Foy was also out for a bit with a tweaked groin, so it's a big accomplishment to come back from an injury like that (tweaking your groin is never fun) and score 4 points.

Foy is going to be solid, especially since he'll have a similiar center to Locke in Bouchard, but he's going to take a couple seasons to get there.

You also have to admit for a 6th round pick that's pretty damn good :D

And add the fact that most of the Wild players are from Europe, have never really played in the NHL or are cast-offs, rejects, and AHLers themselves..that's pretty good.

11. Kritty

Kritty Registered User

Home Page:
    You can go and spin the situation however you want to, bottom line, it's the preseason. End of story. When he contributes during the regular schedule then you can say something.

12. mole

mole Registered User

Home Page:
    Justin Papineau had a 5 goal game last pre-season. Ho hum.

13. GaborikRules10!!!

GaborikRules10!!! Registered User

Home Page:
    Yea, Foy was great last night against the Rags. He looked like he was ready, but will see what happens. The Staff has alot of tough decisons to make for the opening night roster.

14. MN_Gopher

MN_Gopher Registered User

medical
    Home Page:
    I read these boards and some people have Overchin and Crosby in the hall of fame and they are not even out playing AHLers yet. Yeah it is pre season, but what more do you want from the guy. He has not disapointed. He is playing well at the level put in front of him, wait he is out playing the level of compition put in front of him. And in some rare cases it translates to the next level, Thats how progressions work. He may or may not even make the team. But dont down play him because he puts up numbers.

15. tk421

tk421 Registered User

Home Page:
    The goals he got were from hard work. It wasn't some 18 year old kids from the OHL he out worked either. One game does not make a great player, but this isn't his only good game of his career. He's a consistent scorer, and no game in the NHL is meaningless except the all-star game.

16. Kritty

Kritty Registered User

Home Page:
    Is that so? When is the last time the NHL handed out the Stanley Cup, Hart Trophy and Art Ross trophy after the preseason? Do preseason points count in any single way whatsoever? No they don't. The preseason is 100% meaningless.

17. V for Voodoo

V for Voodoo Registered User

Self-Employed
    Home Page:
    I disagree.
    The Pre-Season is a modest indicator of a players abilities, and in the case of young players, it is a better indicator of wether or not they are ready to play in the NHL. Does one good game make him a good player, or a lock for rookie of the year, clearly no. However, would you rather see him look lost out there, or score four points in a game? The games are not meaningless, they serve a purpose, or else they wouldnt be played.
    Foy is off to a good start, let's see if he can keep it up.

18. The Mars Volchenkov

The Mars Volchenkov Registered User

I'm sure guys trying to make it to the NHL would definately disagree with you.

19. ceber

ceber Registered User

Ah, I see. Still, you gotta wonder why Lemaire keeps talking about skating young guys in preseason games so he can get an idea of where they're at in their development.

But after all, he's just another NHL coach, I mean, what's he posted here lately?

20. tk421

tk421 Registered User

Home Page:
    Its relative. Its meaningless to you, but to the guys trying to crack the team it has significant importance. So bottom line, the post I was replying to about Foy not playing against top line defensemen would be that those guys trying to make the squad would probably try harder than the veterans.

If these games, which might be the last NHL look a prospect gets for a while are meaningless to you, then why are you in the prospects topic on a message board for a site dedicated to prospects? For fans like me, these games are far from meaningless.

These games might be the only litmus test you'll have of how some of these prospects can play against upper echelon talent.

So retract the claws and realize there are more to games than wins and loses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.