Ducksgo*

How about this?

To NJD:
Cam Fowler

To ANA:
Devante Smith-Pelly
Joseph Blandisi
Jon Merrill
2017 1st (lottery protected - If its a top 3 pick, push it to 2018)

Pass another quantity for quality trade and Anaheim gets nothing solid absolutely nothing.

Eventually HF we Gotta stop seeing these type of proposals

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
How about this?

To NJD:
Cam Fowler

To ANA:
Devante Smith-Pelly
Joseph Blandisi
Jon Merrill
2017 1st (lottery protected - If its a top 3 pick, push it to 2018)
Stop with your crazy proposals. NJ is still not in a position to be giving up that many assets. You do realize Shero has traded for Hall DSP Palmieri and Bennett and all he traded for all of that was this...

Larsson
2nd
3rd
Matteau

What you just offered is worth more than that and its just for Fowler...who isn't all of that great to be quite honest.

mytduxfan*

Stop with your crazy proposals. NJ is still not in a position to be giving up that many assets. You do realize Shero has traded for Hall DSP Palmieri and Bennett and all he traded for all of that was this...

Larsson
2nd
3rd
Matteau

What you just offered is worth more than that and its just for Fowler...who isn't all of that great to be quite honest.

It's really not. Top pairing D-men go for much more.

mytduxfan*

In our situation it is because we are still in no position to be giving up that many assets.

Fine, but that doesn't mean Fowler "isn't all that great" and that the offer made was "worth more than" Fowler.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
It's really not. Top pairing D-men go for much more.

After the trades Shero has pulled off so far, I have no reason to believe we're going to have to pay market value to get what we need. Whether it's Fowler or someone else, we'll make out like bandits. Again.

mytduxfan*

After the trades Shero has pulled off so far, I have no reason to believe we're going to have to pay market value to get what we need. Whether it's Fowler or someone else, we'll make out like bandits. Again.

"Meh", I wouldn't class Shero as some trade genius personally. He got Palms for less than his worth at the time, but not significantly cheaper (2 x 2nds instead of 2nd + 3rd would have been about right IMO). The fact that Palms exploded into a 30 goalscorer this passed season really had nothing to with Shero. As far as the Hall trade, I'm not even convinced NJ comes out on top. I mean, "sure", you get the best guy in the deal, but your D is decimated. What's the point in having a tonne of offence if you've got no D to stop pucks going in the other way? As far as the rest of Shero's track record, it's all pretty standard stuff really.

Don't get me wrong, Shero's done well for you guys, but he's no Jim Nill when it comes to taking the opposing team's GM to the cleaners ;)

IMO, Fowler ends up in DET and Shero ends up plugging the hole left by Larsson.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
i think people are really underrating Joe Blandisi.....

The guy just had 17 points in 41 games - 34 point pace - and he's only 21!! he's gonna be a 45+ point player..

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
"Meh", I wouldn't class Shero as some trade genius personally. He got Palms for less than his worth at the time, but not significantly cheaper (2 x 2nds instead of 2nd + 3rd would have been about right IMO). The fact that Palms exploded into a 30 goalscorer this passed season really had nothing to with Shero. As far as the Hall trade, I'm not even convinced NJ comes out on top. I mean, "sure", you get the best guy in the deal, but your D is decimated. What's the point in having a tonne of offence if you've got no D to stop pucks going in the other way? As far as the rest of Shero's track record, it's all pretty standard stuff really.

Don't get me wrong, Shero's done well for you guys, but he's no Jim Nill when it comes to taking the opposing team's GM to the cleaners ;)

IMO, Fowler ends up in DET and Shero ends up plugging the hole left by Larsson.

Smith-Pelley for Mattaeu (who will probably be waived at end of camp)
Gelinas for a third (he should of been waived)
The return for Palms, not so much what palms did
Hall trade should have been at least a rostered young player with upside, Edm fans expected a first

If that is not your idea of genius not sure what to say
And your GM let's Hags go to so I don't see how you have much to say about shero

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Hall trade should have been at least a rostered young player with upside, Edm fans expected a first

And your GM let's Hags go to so I don't see how you have much to say about shero

He let hagelin go because he was useless in the western conference and with the ducks style of play

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Before we enshrine Shero into the HHOF let's see what his team does this year. Unless they significantly upgrade their defense they are a lottery team.

Now back to discussing why the Ducks and NJ are bad trading partners...

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Before we enshrine Shero into the HHOF let's see what his team does this year. Unless they significantly upgrade their defense they are a lottery team.

I don't think you realize how much different our forward corps will be this year

the Devils bottom 6 (comprised of 12 or so players total for the entire season) scored like 30 goals TOTAL combined. that is so, so bad.

am I happy with the state of the D right now? no, I think it can be improved. but the forwards are going to be SO much better than last year it will make up for any downgrade in D play

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Shero is building a team for the future and it might take a year or two for the entire thing to mesh but lottery team, we are not.

With a elite goaltender and a new and improved offence, we'll be battling for a wildcard spot but I do agree that we have to upgrade our blueline if we want to make some noise.

mytduxfan*

Jim Nill took:

Loui Eriksson
Reilly Smith
Matt Fraser
Joe Morrow
Alex Chiasson
Alex Guptill
Nicolas Paul
a 2015 second-round pick

... and turned it into

Tyler Seguin
Rich Peverley
Ryan Button
Jason Spezza
Ludwig Karlsson

That's a trading genius.

I never said BM was a trading genius. Drafting D-men, signing RFAs and not wasting assets on rentals is where BM excels. As far as trading, BM is always very active, but rarely in big deals. Usually, we've come out on top. However, yeah, last season was a bad one for him.

As far as the Palms trade. Palms wasn't a 30 goal scorer when he was traded. He was a streaky 15-15 guy with consistency issues and someone coming off an absolutely terrible playoff showing in what was ultimately a disappointing cup run. He was worth maybe 2 x 2nds. Shero did well and got him for a 2nd and a 3rd. That's not a genius trade and the fact that Palms is worth a tonne more now doesn't change that.

As far as DSP for Matteau, that deal wasn't that genius. BM traded Sekac, a player who spent most of the year on the bench, for Garbutt, a very useful player down the stretch. Those types of deals happen all the time.

Gelinas for a third. Another deal that happens pretty regularly. A real genius deal was Benning getting a 2nd for Bieksa.

The Hall trade? Let's see on that one. The point of making trades is to win hockey games. NJ is now extremely front-heavy. We'll see whether that translates into more wins.

Anyway, the main point of this post is that I don't think Shero is somehow going to swindle Fowler out from underneath BM in some totally lopsided deal in which we only end up with prospects and picks. Shero is a good GM, but I don't think he's that good of a trader to pull that one off.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Jim Nill took:

Loui Eriksson
Reilly Smith
Matt Fraser
Joe Morrow
Alex Chiasson
Alex Guptill
Nicolas Paul
a 2015 second-round pick

... and turned it into

Tyler Seguin
Rich Peverley
Ryan Button
Jason Spezza
Ludwig Karlsson

That's a trading genius.

I never said BM was a trading genius. Drafting D-men, signing RFAs and not wasting assets on rentals is where BM excels. As far as trading, BM is always very active, but rarely in big deals. Usually, we've come out on top. However, yeah, last season was a bad one for him.

As far as the Palms trade. Palms wasn't a 30 goal scorer when he was traded. He was a streaky 15-15 guy with consistency issues and someone coming off an absolutely terrible playoff showing in what was ultimately a disappointing cup run. He was worth maybe 2 x 2nds. Shero did well and got him for a 2nd and a 3rd. That's not a genius trade and the fact that Palms is worth a tonne more now doesn't change that.

As far as DSP for Matteau, that deal wasn't that genius. BM traded Sekac, a player who spent most of the year on the bench, for Garbutt, a very useful player down the stretch. Those types of deals happen all the time.

Gelinas for a third. Another deal that happens pretty regularly. A real genius deal was Benning getting a 2nd for Bieksa.

The Hall trade? Let's see on that one. The point of making trades is to win hockey games. NJ is now extremely front-heavy. We'll see whether that translates into more wins.

Anyway, the main point of this post is that I don't think Shero is somehow going to swindle Fowler out from underneath BM in some totally lopsided deal in which we only end up with prospects and picks. Shero is a good GM, but I don't think he's that good of a trader to pull that one off.

The upgrade to our D doesn't have to come from the Ducks.

And the Palmieri trade was genius because Shero knew Palmieri was this kind of player. If you look at his points/60 on the Ducks, it's pretty easy to predict that this is the kind of impact he was going to have if he was given more ice time.

Shero makes mistakes like anyone, but he's amazing when it comes to identifying talent. That's our saving grace here. We don't need to pay a premium for the biggest names if our GM can see things in players other GMs can't.

There's no reason for Devils fans to be anything other than overwhelmingly optimistic about the future of our team. We're not in a position where we have to take whatever deal we can get to improve our D immediately. I think we've got a shot at the playoffs this year, but Shero's not going to have a knee jerk reaction if that's not the case. We're playing the long game.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Pretty sure Whiskey just likes making terrible proposals to watch people argue with eachother.

This makes no sense for either team.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
too much for new jersey to give up for a guy that may be a #2, but also may be a #3.

dont buy the whole best player on the best team argument. fowlers advanced stats are atrocious and most would agree lindholm is better.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't see a deal working out, especially not on here.

It's definitely very interesting, because they seem like good trading partners. NJ has an overload of LWs which Anaheim could use, but I don't think they'd be willing to deal any of them right now.

A deal around Cammalleri for Fowler seems like it could work for Anaheim as they are in a win-now mode, but it doesn't clear the salary space they're looking for when they're dealing Fowler. I also don't foresee the Devils being ready to trade Cammalleri right now until the kids are ready.

A deal around Boucher or Blandisi where the Devils are adding is ideal for the Devils but the Ducks have no incentive there. They would be taking a massive risk on those kids to fit in on their team and make a viable impact. Plus, that would likely be a quantity over quality move.

Honestly, I think there is something there between Cammalleri and Fowler. It's a very unique trade though and very risky one for both sides, for various reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad