Kings News: Four Kings Elect Arbitration

Captain Mittens*

New quote from The Mayor

“It gets closer every day, it’s whether it’s close enough,” Lombardi quipped. “I don’t think with all these guys we’re far apart. But, as we find out more and more as we get into this, unfortunately, every hundred-grand is…particularly when we’re a cap team, and the cap is coming down as we try and regroup. So, unlike in the past, it’s not as easy to say ‘Alright, let’s throw another hundred-grand on there and get ‘er done. Every nickel counts.”

http://mayorsmanor.com/2013/07/lombardi-on-contracts-hes-working-on-every-nickel-counts/

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Holden, what are the rules as far as the contracts being one-way or two-way via arbitration? Are these players guaranteed a one-way deal?

Did a quick review and I cannot find anything about that. I am 90% sure that all arbitration awards are one-way deals, but I'll see if I can dig anything up later today.

Dug this up. I'm wrong.

(n) Salary Arbitration Decision.
(ii) The decision of the Salary Arbitrator shall establish:
(C) the inclusion or otherwise of a Minor League clause (or clauses)
and the amount of Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary to be paid
under each of the season(s) in respect to which the salary
arbitration is requested;

Looks like it is arbitrator decision whether it is one-way or two-way deal.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Did a quick review and I cannot find anything about that. I am 90% sure that all arbitration awards are one-way deals, but I'll see if I can dig anything up later today.

If there isn't any actual stated standard, I wonder if it'd be fair to say that whatever contract the player had last time would be used. IE if a player was coming off a two-way deal, arbitration would see him get a two-way deal again.

That all said, I'd assume it is guaranteed one-way as I don't recall hearing of two way deals via arbitration. If so, it'd make total sense for these guys to file for arbitration, thus ensuring they get a one-way deal since DL can't just walk away from it.

Any arbitration award of over $925,000 then becomes huge, since any dollar over that amount counts against a team cap even if the player is in the minors.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Dug this up. I'm wrong.

Looks like it is arbitrator decision whether it is one-way or two-way deal.

Very interesting. Thanks for digging that up Holden.

Btw, is there a full copy of the new CBA released yet that I can review? I haven't seen it yet, just heard snippits here and there.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
So Trevor's date is August 2nd. He's the last arbitration eligible RFA for us, I hope DL wraps it up this week. He always picks it up in the playoffs and is a bigger piece of the puzzle than most give him credit for.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Lombardi loves him. Sitter loves him. Drew loves him. I can't see it not happening as he's a vital part of our team and if things were to go sour with Lewis that could affect team chemistry.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Lombardi loves him. Sitter loves him. Drew loves him. I can't see it not happening as he's a vital part of our team and if things were to go sour with Lewis that could affect team chemistry.

Agreed. If they can only keep one with the 1.5 they have left, it'll be Lewis. And Carcillo being signed more or less was that decision making Clifford expendable.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Lewis was one of those guys that we were ready to ship out without letting him enough time to grow... a la Steckel, Moller, Boyle, Moulson, and Purcell... seems like the clock is ticking on Clifford now...

but glad to see we were at least patient with Lewis, i love this guy

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

The only way it won't happen is if we trade him. In arbitration, a team is not allowed to walk away from an award of $3.5 million or less, and no way Lewis gets awarded more than that.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
The only way it won't happen is if we trade him. In arbitration, a team is not allowed to walk away from an award of $3.5 million or less, and no way Lewis gets awarded more than that.

I doubt seriously that Lewis will be moved. To many fans of his in coaching and mgt for him to be moved over a few 100k. They'll get it done and I'm guessing it will be a multi year contract, 3-4 yrs 5-7 mil is my guess.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I doubt seriously that Lewis will be moved. To many fans of his in coaching and mgt for him to be moved over a few 100k. They'll get it done and I'm guessing it will be a multi year contract, 3-4 yrs 5-7 mil is my guess.

I 100% agree. Lewis will get about the same as Martinez, maybe a touch higher, and we'll move on.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'd think that the max Lewis gets is $1.5M per. He's one of the hardest working forwards on the team, but he still has to do more on the offensive side. On the plus side, Lewis did post career high numbers in a shortened season with 5 goals and 14 points. Previous to that, his career high was 3 goals, which he did twice in 72 games in 2011 and in 2012. They need more contribution from the bottom six, especially Lewis. He can't be paid like a third liner and expect to get fourth line production out of him.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Agreed. If they can only keep one with the 1.5 they have left, it'll be Lewis. And Carcillo being signed more or less was that decision making Clifford expendable.

We can keep both of them. The $1.5 figure on capgeek includes the salaries for 23 players already signed, including 9 D-men. Clifford and Lewis can both be signed and two players will be waived or traded in camp.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
We can keep both of them. The $1.5 figure on capgeek includes the salaries for 23 players already signed, including 9 D-men. Clifford and Lewis can both be signed and two players will be waived or traded in camp.

this,

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
I'd think that the max Lewis gets is $1.5M per. He's one of the hardest working forwards on the team, but he still has to do more on the offensive side. On the plus side, Lewis did post career high numbers in a shortened season with 5 goals and 14 points. Previous to that, his career high was 3 goals, which he did twice in 72 games in 2011 and in 2012. They need more contribution from the bottom six, especially Lewis. He can't be paid like a third liner and expect to get fourth line production out of him.

@DarrenDreger 56s

Trevor Lewis and Kings avoid salary arb and settle on 1 year deal @ $1.325 mil.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad