Four head coaches from players on '99-'00 Flyers

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Came across this the other day while I was going down the rabbit hole on HockeyDB.

Four players from the roster are/were NHL head coaches at some time in the 23-24 season:
Rod Brind'Amour
Luke Richardson
Rick Tocchet
Craig Berube

One President of Hockey Ops:
Keith Jones

Bonus: one assistant coach - Mark Recchi
Player photos for the 1999-00 Philadelphia Flyers at hockeydb.com

Any other teams that spawned so many coaches? In this an anomaly, or are there other teams that have done something similar?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Came across this the other day while I was going down the rabbit hole on HockeyDB.

Four players from the roster are/were NHL head coaches at some time in the 23-24 season:
Rod Brind'Amour
Luke Richardson
Rick Tocchet
Craig Berube

One President of Hockey Ops:
Keith Jones

Bonus: one assistant coach - Mark Recchi
Player photos for the 1999-00 Philadelphia Flyers at hockeydb.com

Any other teams that spawned so many coaches? In this an anomaly, or are there other teams that have done something similar?

The 1978-79 Montreal Canadiens had Serge Savard, who would go on to become the General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens, Bob Gainey, who coached the Minnesota North Stars and was the Stars and Habs General Manager and they had Ken Dryden, who woud later become the Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager and they also had Rejean Houle, who became the Canadiens General Manager, plus Doug Risebrough who was the General Manager of the Calgary Flames. So that's five GM's on the roster.

In terms of Head Coaches, other than Bob Gainey, they also had Mario Tremblay, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson and they aforementioned Riseborough who all served as NHL head coaches. So that's five head coaches.

Then there are the assistant coaches. Steve Shutt, Guy Lapointe, Doug Jarvis and Yvon Cournoyer were all assistant coaches at the NHL level.

That means 12 players from that Stanley Cup winning roster went on to coach or manage at the NHL level.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
On top of my head, the 1970-1971 have had 6 NHL Head Coaches at NHL level : Jacques Lemaire, Larry Pleau, Rogatien Vachon, Bob Murdoch, Guy Charron and John Ferguson.

EDIT ... and a 7th, since Jacques Laperrière head coached the Habs between Jacques Demers and Mario Tremblay.

EDIT 2 : Just looked on H-R and there were also 7 HC from the Habs team of 71-72, and of the 74-75 team. Jimmy Roberts, Glen Sather joining the squad, on top of some of the players already named in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Look Up

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
I think the Hartford Whalers roster from ~1989 had a number of eventual coaches on it:
Joel Quenneville
Dave TIppett
Dean Evason
John Anderson
Kevin Dineen

Brian Lawton - become a GM
Ron Francis - became a GM
Pat Verbeek - became a GM

Impressive.

Player photos for the 1989-90 Hartford Whalers at hockeydb.com

That roster also had one more head coach, Randy Cunneyworth served as interim in 2011-12 with Montreal - some may remember him for not being a French speaker and thus triggering a boycott of Molson by Quebec nationalist groups.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I think the Hartford Whalers roster from ~1989 had a number of eventual coaches on it:
Joel Quenneville
Dave TIppett
Dean Evason
John Anderson
Kevin Dineen

I had a post on the the 1989-90 Whalers, which seems to have been lost in the move, and some others. See my post from 2015 below (the original post had Whalers names):

Asked this question myself many years ago, and the top results posted were:

1988-89 Hartford Whalers (36 players suited up for at least one game, and at least 16 ended up in the NHL in some sort of coaching/executive capacity, with a further 3 outside the NHL (this may be a higher number, I haven't updated it), for a total of 19 former Whalers involved).

1981-82 Vancouver Canucks (11 involved in the NHL, including 4 coaches and oddly enough two former coaches of the Belarusian national team).

1976-77 Montreal Canadiens (14 of 22 players had a coaching/executive career, including 6 head coaches and 4 general managers (though 2 of them were of the Canadiens)).

1985-86 Edmonton Oilers (14 in the NHL, several more outside of it).

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The 1974-75 Montreal Canadiens trump the 78-79 squad I mentioned earlier.

It doesn't have Houle, so it's down one GM, but it has many additions.

So you still have GM's-to-be Serge Savard, Ken Dryden, Bob Gainey and Doug Risebrough, but you also have Hall of Fame General Manager Glen Sather. So Five NHL GM's.

For coaches, you have Jacques Lemaire, Glen Sather, Bob Gainey, Larry Robinson, Mario Tremblay, Doug Risebrough and Jim Roberts giving them seven different guys who became NHL head coaches!

Then there are the assistant coaches, Yvon Cournoyer, Steve Shutt, Guy Lapointe, John Van Boxmeer and Claude Larose for five assistant coaches.

This roster has a whopping Five NHL GM's, Seven NHL coaches and five NHL assistant coaches!

Fourteen different guys went on to become NHL coaches or GM's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Joel Quenneville
Dave TIppett
Dean Evason
John Anderson
Kevin Dineen

if you go a couple years later, there’s also brad shaw (briefly coached the islanders), as mentioned upthread cunneyworthy (briefly coached the habs), todd richards (wild and bluejackets), and john stevens (flyers and kings)

plus marc bergevin (habs GM)

and numerous guys who were/are longtime coaches in the minors or NCAA, and numerous others who have assistant coached in the NHL

...and the turn of the decade whalers also had successful agent mike liut and, although it’s not an uncommon post-playing career profession, several especially well-known future broadcasters, ray ferraro and daryl reaugh

Last edited:

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
The Leafs of the late '70s and early '80s had several well-known future NHL coaches.

Bruce Boudreau
Randy Carlyle
Dan Maloney
Ron Wilson
Joel Quenneville
Barry Melrose

Plus, Jim Rutherford and Jim Benning.

Last edited:

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
81-82 canucks

Curt Fraser. HC
Harold Snrpsts AC

Kevin Macarthy Co-head coach
Stan Smyl GM
Marc Crawford HC
Ivan Hlinka HC
Glen Hanlon HC
Jim Nill GM
Colin Campbell HC

Reactions: Look Up

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
The great 1939-40 Rangers team were remembered as a team that produced many coaches.

5 of the 18 roster players became NHL head coaches, in an era where there were only 6 head coaching positions available. Phil Watson, Lynn Patrick, Muzz Patrick, Alf Pike, and Neil Colville.

5 more of the players were head coaches in the PCHL. Alex Shibicky, Mac Colville, Dutch Hiller, Babe Pratt, and John Polich. And Clint Smith and Ott Heller were head coaches in the AHL.

As far as I can tell, their only players who did not become head coaches in pro hockey were Bryan Hextall Sr, Art Coulter, Dave Kerr, Kilby MacDonald, Stan Smith, and Cliff Barton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad