Found out how desperate EB games is for a sale

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
No. Buying physical copies are ridiculous. That trade in value argument is just dumb because all you ever get is a few bucks. Meanwhile you don't even pay for taxes on the ps4 store. IT ALL EVENS OUT, plus more money saved online.

You get a couple bucks if the game is older. If it's relatively new, you can get $30-35 at EB Games....sometimes more if you get a bonus.

ever seen a ps4 store flash sale? Where da hell can you find that in a store?

Flash sales are great, but you have to wait for them. If you wait long enough, you can get any game for pretty cheap.

In store, games also tend to go bargain bin faster than price drops on PSN.

If you're playing the "wait for cheap" game, it makes sense to go for whichever medium the sale/price drop happens for first.

Have you guys ever tried ps4 game sharing? Do you realize how much money you can save?

You do realize you can share physical copies as well, yes?

Last edited by a moderator:

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
A very small minority will ever get 30-35 bucks back. Stop trying to argue with things that rarely happen. These are the serious gamers who buy day 1, rush through it, and forget about the replay value. What casual gamer does that?

Game sharing is much better online. You BOTH have a copy. You BOTH can play each other online with only 1 copy purchased.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
No. Buying physical copies are ridiculous. That trade in value argument is just dumb because all you ever get is a few bucks. Meanwhile you don't even pay for taxes on the ps4 store. IT ALL EVENS OUT, plus more money saved online.

Have you physical buying idiots ever seen a ps4 store flash sale? Where da hell can you find that in a store?

Have you guys ever tried ps4 game sharing? Do you realize how much money you can save?

Physical media is on its way out. Get with the times. You guys simple don't like change. That's it.

Now are you talking about the PS4 SharePlay feature that requires to to allow that friend to access your game then act as a host while the do so and still only allows a 60 minute session. Or are you talking about the method where you exchange PSN account info, do all the messing around with primary and secondary accounts all to try and trick the system into thinking that you are playing your friends system because that is a breach of the TOS for your PSN and if you get caught they can ban your account (and potentially your system because it is registered) and you lose your entire library.

I would rather not and keep my games where they cant block them and not have my ps4 turn into an off line brick.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
A very small minority will ever get 30-35 bucks back. Stop trying to argue with things that rarely happen. These are the serious gamers who buy day 1, rush through it, and forget about the replay value. What casual gamer
does that?

Don't even really need to rush through it, you just need to play it within a couple months. It also doesn't drop from $35 to $5 instantly, either, so there's a long while in there with which to play the game where you still get a good chunk of your money back...especially if you sell it rather than trade it in (more work though).

It's almost like there are many scenarios to consider, isn't it? And each person might do things differently based on their scenario?

Game sharing is much better online. You BOTH have a copy. You BOTH can play each other online with only 1 copy purchased.

True, works better for multiplayer games. Also technically against the terms of service, if I recall correctly.

For single player games, both people can play and you still get resell value. Not bad.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
Dark Souls 3 (came out 3/24/16) has a trade in credit of $22.00-$24.20 USD depending on if you have pro or not at GS fwiw.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
ever seen a ps4 store flash sale? Where da hell can you find that in a store?

Physical media is on its way out. Get with the times. You guys simple don't like change. That's it.
I really have no dog in this arguement. I do both sometimes I buy physical sometimes I buy online, depends on the size of the game and if I feel like going to the store. But I recently bought the new MLB game and traded in GTA and Fifa...I paid under $20 for the premium edition. That seems like a bit more then the taxes to me.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I pre-order at E3, finish a game, and get between $30-40 in trade in a month or so later. Basically I pay $20 for a game to play it through buying it the day it releases. If I really wanted I could sell it on Kijiji and recoup the full cost. So no, it doesn't "all even out".

Exactly, if you don't want to keep the game you can recoup cost. For instance I bought The Order on it's release, realized within the first hour that "Yikes, this is a huge waste of my money" turned around and traded it to some guy on Kijiji for a game I wanted instead. Ended up getting the Order for ten bucks later at EB Games.

On the flip side I paid full price for South Park, was a lot of fun but really short. Now I had a digital copy two days later that I had no use for, only thing I could do was just delete off the hard drive to free up space. Had I got the physical copy I would have been able to flip it for something else or sell it entirely because it was a new release. That was the one that hit me that I don't want digital.

Sports games are a dime a dozen at places like EB Games, for someone like me that doesn't mind being a year behind on Madden or MLB, I get a new copy yearly for dirt cheap. They don't discount these things on PSN, just stop listing them all together.

Flash sales are great, I have a lot of digital games that I can't refuse the price. If games were always cheaper that way I would just invest in a larger HD and keep downloading but they rarely are so I'll take physical all day long.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Exactly, if you don't want to keep the game you can recoup cost. For instance I bought The Order on it's release, realized within the first hour that "Yikes, this is a huge waste of my money" turned around and traded it to some guy on Kijiji for a game I wanted instead. Ended up getting the Order for ten bucks later at EB Games.

With the Order I had it pre-ordered for $45, I beat it, lent it to two friends to beat, and traded it in with a bonus from EB Games for ~$37. I think I got decent value out of that one. :laugh:

....yet still disappointing, somehow. :(

Flash sales are great, I have a lot of digital games that I can't refuse the price. If games were always cheaper that way I would just invest in a larger HD and keep downloading but they rarely are so I'll take physical all day long.

Flash sales are great, when you manage to catch them. I've picked up a couple games that way too.

I have nothing against digital, when it's worthwhile. Most of the time, I find it's not when compared to physical.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Dark Souls 3 (came out 3/24/16) has a trade in credit of $22.00-$24.20 USD depending on if you have pro or not at GS fwiw.

This is sadly the case..

In the US, you rarely ever get 30-35$ trade in credit unless its like COD, HALO etc the week it came out...

It just drops and drops fast...most games a month after release are 15-20$...

To me its not worth the value after I paid 65$..

I used to trade in a ton of games...but I just started buying digital most of the time and rather just keep the game.

It seems 90% of you who are defending physical copies are from Canada and EB has WAY better trade in value than Gamestop in the US...

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I used to trade in a ton of games...but I just started buying digital most of the time and rather just keep the game.

If you want to keep the game long term, trading in obviously makes less sense.

The point of "defending" physical copies in this thread is to show that there are advantages to physical copies depending on your style. This is to counter statements such as "I don't understand why physical is still a thing" and "you're all idiots for doing it", not necessarily to say physical is ALWAYS better. I wouldn't say it is always better....depends on your situation and preference, sales, etc.

It seems 90% of you who are defending physical copies are from Canada and EB has WAY better trade in value than Gamestop in the US...

Keep in mind you're talking $20-25/$60 initial price versus $30-35/$80.

In the States you can also take advantage of things like the Amazon Prime discount....wish we had that here. :laugh:

Last edited:

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
You're still comparing it just to the console stores. For $30 via Ea access I've bought 5 triple a titles and over 50 hours of trials for games. Can I find a used copy of Fifa 16 for 5 dollars anywhere? I doubt it. Can I get early access with hard copies? Do I get discounted DLC?

I know that EA access is only one example, but it is a window into what the future looks like. You don't have to like it, but thats what the future of distribution looks like. It's happening across the board with other mediums and gaming won't be an exception

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
You're still comparing it just to the console stores. For $30 via Ea access I've bought 5 triple a titles and over 50 hours of trials for games. Can I find a used copy of Fifa 16 for 5 dollars anywhere? I doubt it. Can I get early access with hard copies? Do I get discounted DLC?

Like I've said, I'm providing examples of scenarios where physical makes more sense than digital in response to people's confusion (which may or may not have included insults) as to why people still buy physical copies....NOT saying there aren't situations where digital may be better.

EA Access, while seemingly pretty cool, is limited in scope, as it is an Xbox only subscription service and is only useful for EA games.

Side note, but I have debated getting Origin Access. I'm on the fence.

I know that EA access is only one example, but it is a window into what the future looks like. You don't have to like it, but thats what the future of distribution looks like. It's happening across the board with other mediums and gaming won't be an exception

Quite possibly, but we're talking about the numerous reasons why people still buy physical copies NOW, not in the future.

Once again, for the record, I'm not against digital distribution. I'm digital on PC to the point where I don't even have an optical drive. Just saying why, in the now, I buy physical copies of console games.

EDIT: Wait, was this directed at me? If not, I feel silly. :laugh:

Last edited:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007

Have you physical buying idiots ever seen a ps4 store flash sale? Where da hell can you find that in a store?

Even if it was only a few bucks, how is that dumb exactly? more money = dumb? but "idiot" you seen oblivious to the fact that you don't need to turn your games in at EB to get money back for them. You're much better off selling them used privately.

Also with regards to taxes, the world exists outside of where you live.

Things like PSN flash sales have already been discussed, you'll have to be able to read the thread to figure that out.

Game sharing lol, cool man. Certainly can't share a physical copy of a game. Head Crusher already summarised my thoughts on that one.

I would prefer my games to be digital because I'm not hung up on the idea of having them on display or anything like that. But it doesn't make sense because buying physical is cheaper and I get the resale value. All things being equal I would rather have the games just saved to my console so I don't have to get off my ass to swap the disks over. I imagine most people who aren't in the collector/display camp would be the same. But all things aren't equal, one is a much better decision financially. I value that more than the convenience of not having to get up to change a disk.

Last edited:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
The point of "defending" physical copies in this thread is to show that there are advantages to physical copies depending on your style. This is to counter statements such as "I don't understand why physical is still a thing" and "you're all idiots for doing it", not necessarily to say physical is ALWAYS better. I wouldn't say it is always better....depends on your situation and preference, sales, etc.
:

Seems the most vocal pro digital people here are entirely incapable of seeing the benefits of physical which very much still exist. Even if you yourself don't value them there's plenty of others who do. Numerous valid arguments for people still wanting to go physical have been presented, but they just bury their heads in the sand or call people idiots when they are met with something they can't counter. Says everything really.

Not sure why they think this is a war they need to win here. Both options are available, take the one you want. But we have idiots who think they are some sort of crusader for the digital era trying to rise up against the digital haters which couldn't be further from the case in this thread.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
People who buy digital used to buy physical, so they know both sides of the coin. Therefore, they have a better and more reliable opinion on the matter.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
People who buy digital used to buy physical, so they know both sides of the coin. Therefore, they have a better and more reliable opinion on the matter.

Yeah, because nobody who has bought a physical copy have ever purchased a digital one.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Seems the most vocal pro digital people here are entirely incapable of seeing the benefits of physical which very much still exist. Even if you yourself don't value them there's plenty of others who do. Numerous valid arguments for people still wanting to go physical have been presented, but they just bury their heads in the sand or call people idiots when they are met with something they can't counter. Says everything really.

Not sure why they think this is a war they need to win here. Both options are available, take the one you want. But we have idiots who think they are some sort of crusader for the digital era trying to rise up against the digital haters which couldn't be further from the case in this thread.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Clearly a fight is needed. It's not like both could exist simultaneou....oh, right. They already do. :laugh:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Yeah, because nobody who has bought a physical copy have ever purchased a digital one.
Yeah, that's such a weird argument to make. I buy 90% digital for books, movies and music, but for games physical is largely the best option for me. I still have purchased digital, but it is a far lower percentage, especially on console.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012

I don't know how you would arrive at that conclusion. I've heard a lot of "But it's cheaper" and "but not everyone has unlimited downloads". I get that you can resell games and you can collect physical copies. In some cases, physical copies might be cheaper than digital copies. But you guys are acting as if there is no advantage to digital copies.

1. You can download at home and don't need to line up, no long launch day line ups,

2. no big update downloads before playing (when the game is out, it's ready to play)

3. You can access your library from any machine

4. You can switch games within milliseconds

5. Your games can't be physically damaged

If you're really strapped for cash or have a questionable connection I totally get opting for hard copies over digital (right now). However, if you are willing to pay a slight premium digital copies offer considerable more convenience than hard copies.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I don't know how you would arrive at that conclusion. I've heard a lot of "But it's cheaper" and "but not everyone has unlimited downloads". I get that you can resell games and you can collect physical copies. In some cases, physical copies might be cheaper than digital copies. But you guys are acting as if there is no advantage to digital copies.

1. You can download at home and don't need to line up, no long launch day line ups,

2. no big update downloads before playing (when the game is out, it's ready to play)

3. You can access your library from any machine

4. You can switch games within milliseconds

5. Your games can't be physically damaged

If you're really strapped for cash or have a questionable connection I totally get opting for hard copies over digital (right now). However, if you are willing to pay a slight premium digital copies offer considerable more convenience than hard copies.

In most cases physical copies are cheaper than digital when talking about consoles. Don't try to diminish it by saying in "some" cases. Cheaper for physical is the norm, cheaper for digital is the exception.

I don't believe anyone is acting as if there's no advantages to digital, it's just that those advantages do not stack up to pricing.

1. Lining up, really? the last time I lined up for something was a midnight WoW expansion release. Every major release game in recent years on console I've just walked in picked up a copy off the shelf and walked straight to the counter. Or, I've had it delivered to me on my door step. Not really much of a selling point there.

2. No big update before playing? the game itself is a big download before playing lol. Further to that, you don't actually need to let the update finish to begin playing games on consoles now. The update can just download in the background. So again not much of a selling point there.

3. Access your library from any machine, yes (though not quite as straightforward as you are making it out to be when it comes to consoles). You know how else I can access my library from any machine, by taking the disk and sticking it in. Oh, and I don't have to wait for the game to download to be able to play it. I just stick the disk in and it works.

4. Milliseconds is a stretch but sure, I've already acknowledged in the thread I'd like to be able to not have to get up off my ass to change games over. But we're talking a few seconds of inconvenience for me to get up and change the disk. I'd like that, but I'm not going to forgo a cheaper option for that luxury.

5. I don't recall a time ever where a game of mine has been physically damaged but sure that may be an issue for some people. It's really not something I'm concerned about in the slightest.

It's not about being strapped for cash lol but nice attempt to spin it. The difference in pricing is often quite significant, and when you factor in the resell value the difference is vast.

The only real added convenience to me is having the games saved to the console eliminating the need to get up and change disks. Not really hard to see why many people would rather go the cheaper option when that is the biggest drawing card.

As I've already said, all things being equal I'd prefer digital. But all things aren't equal, physical is cheaper not only when it comes to purchase price but also the resale factor. At the very least the purchase price for physical should not be cheaper, there's no valid reason why that should be the case, but it is.

It really shouldn't be that hard to see why some people then go the physical route, because again any reasonable person should be able to understand the simple concept that people prefer to spend less money on things when possible.

It's the digital crusaders in here who can't open their eyes and are saying things like "I can't understand why anyone would go physical" "people who buy physical are idiots" that are the issue here. Again there's been numerous valid arguments presented but some in this thread would rather plug their fingers in their ears.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Stopped reading at the first sentence. Digital is definitely cheaper than physical here in Canada.

Get your facts straight before writing a novel.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Stopped reading at the first sentence. Digital is definitely cheaper than physical here in Canada.

Get your facts straight before writing a novel.

Imagine a world where more than one country exists.

And imagine, in this crazy world that consisted of more than one country, things like regional pricing were an issue.

I've already provided one real world example that I went through just recently but here's another.

In my country, Doom on PSN is $119.95. I can buy it physically in store for $98. And of course I can sell that down the track if I so choose to make some of that money back.

I realise you'd love one little tiny thing to grasp on to so you don't have to stretch yourself to reading more than a sentence, unfortunately you'll have to do better if you want to talk with the adults on this topic.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Further to that, doing a quick glance at Canadian PSN and a couple of retailers there, the prices are the same for the couple of titles I looked at so it isn't "definitely cheaper" and once you add in the resale it certainly is not. Furthermore, there was also preorder retailer exclusives for the physical copies.

That's me comparing PSN to somewhere like EB. I can only assume you have some options cheaper than EB around but I don't know. I know that where I live EB is the last place you want to buy a new physical copy of a game because you'll be paying more there than anywhere else.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
I'm not going to reference you because it would be a waste of time. You've clearly taken an entrenched position and aren't open to alternative viewpoints about the value of digital distribution. You did exactly the same thing on the BLOPS3 thread with regard to SKBM

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Wow, do you folks go into ice cream shops and demand to know why someone would order a cup instead of a cone and call them idiots if you don't like the answer?

The anti-physical media folks will smugly have their way someday just like every thing else that will keep us from going out into public and purchasing goods at markets and shopping malls, and putting people out of work. Just be pleased that will happen and stop being so angry for no real reason at a personal preference in the meantime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad