Muller-Delvecchio
Armstrong-Park

Extras: Ian Turnbull, Paul Maclean​

Last edited by a moderator:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
tony, I replaced the Nordiques logo in the roster thread with one less annoyingly huge. I hope you don't mind, but I think it improves readability. If you want me to switch it back, just say the word.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
No worries sturm and looking forward to a good series velo, will start debates tomorrow or tonight.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I think the Barber - Delvecchio - Lafleur line hasn't gotten enough love yet. Puck-dominant wings like Lafleur are tricky to build around, and Delvecchio's all-around game and strong off-puck play is a very good fit with the flower on the wing. Barber to complete the unit is a good two-way player with grit the line needs, and the speed and shot to convert chances created by Guy. The pieces fit well, and this should be a quite potent line.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Also for this series I will be dressing Bobby Schmautz and sitting Paul Maclean.

Updated Nordiques roster:

Quebec Nordiques

Head Coach: Lester Patrick

Captains:Alex Delvecchio
Alternates: Fern Flaman, Brad Park

Bill Barber-Alex Delvecchio-Guy Lafleur
Dick Duff-Denis Savard-Bill Mosienko
Kirk Muller-Joel Otto-Flloyd Curry
Hec Kilrea-Bobby Smith-Bobby Schmautz

Brad Park- Fern Flaman
Jim Neilson-Jean Guy Talbot
Rob Ramage-Bob Armstrong

Clint Benedict
Lorne Chabot

Special Teams:

PP 1: Barber-Savard-Lafluer-Park-Delvecchio
Muller-Smith-Mosienko-Ramage-Talbot

PK 1:

Otto-Curry
Flaman-Neilson

PK 2:

Muller-Delvecchio
Armstrong-Park

Extras: Ian Turnbull, Paul Maclean, dennis Maruk, Kenny Jonsson

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
In the midst of writing finals, so my activity may be limited until Thursday.

First off, good luck to Tony, he submitted a solid entry as per usual this year.

A few notes to make:
- the left wing lock will be utilized only for the bottom-6 forwards, as the top-6 left wingers (Sedin and Kharlamov) will be used in a cycle formation as both lines are dominant puck-possession wise. Pitner's defensive prowess will be relied upon to have the top-6 forwards playing responsibly in their own end but focusing on offensive efficiency predominantly.

- my third line will hopefully see as much of Barber - Delvecchio - Lafleur as possible, a very well-constructed line I might add.

- Quebec is not the strongest defensive team up front, which gives us the flexibility to roll all four of our lines which all possess offensive acumen and the ability to capitalize in the attacking zone without too much trouble from the oppositions forwards.

- The Nordiques' defense core is deep and led by a elite #1 in Brad Park, however is not as balanced as Kentucky's defensive core.

- With the exception of Housley, there are 5 defensive stalwarts on the Thoroughblades' defense. Housley's main objective is to be a fourth forward in situations when he is on the ice and quarterbacking on the man advantage.

- Goaltending is basically even, so there will be no clear advantage for either side.

- My biggest concern for the Nordiques' is the surplus of PIM-heavy players on the roster (Flaman, Otto, Ramage, Park) and the weakness of their penalty killing units, especially minus these players when they may serving penalties. I think Kentucky's top asset is their PP which could feast on a Nordiques' unit which could see a lot of time down a man.

I'll try and come back with some more discussion in the next couple of days.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks velo for the opening remarks, now time to offer up some of my own:

Line 1:

Daniel Sedin/Joe Sakic/Ziggy Palffy vs. Bill Barber/Alex Delvecchio/Guy Lafleur

First battle is between Daniel Sedin and Guy Lafleur which will be a battle between 2 finesse guys. Both guys should add a lot to the offense of the 1st lines of both teams. ? is though is Sedin, as good as he is, a 1st liner in this yet? I'm not sure. Lafleur of course is and is in the conversation for one of the nest right wingers of all time. Joe Sakic and Alex Delvecchio offer up the same guy though Sakic does it a bit better. Sakic looks like he's going to be the do everything guy of Kentucky's 1st line which is alright, Delvecchio offers up a good game as well but no where near the good game that Sakic will offer. Palffy and Barber look to be the weak links of the 1st lines. Palffy though put up some good numbers during the dead puck era, still he was offense only from what I can gather, Barber at least had a good 2 way game. Overall your 1st line appears to be tilted offensively while my 1st line looks to be more 2 way.

Advtanage: Quebec

2nd Line:

Valeri Kharlamov/Sid Abel/Eddie Oatman vs. Dick Duff/Denis Savard/Bill Mosienko:

Kharlamov is an absolute treasure to have anywhere in your lineup but on the 2nd line makes your 2nd line potent, he is matched up against Bill mosienko. I think Mosienko's a good player and all but even I'll admit that Kharlamov is much better than Mosienko. Sid Abel vs. Denis Savard is the next battle. I had targeted Abel before you scooped me so I like the pick. Abel offers up more of a 2 way game than did Savard who was offense only. Both guys are good hands to have for sure. Oatman and Duff look to be the glue guys of the lines. Oatman did a spell on defense as well so that always helps.

Advantage: Kentucky

3rd Line:

Don Marcotte/Ken Mosdell/BA Gustafsson vs. Kirk Muller/Joel Otto/Floyd Curry

Don Marcotte and Floyd Curry look like they'll offer up the same type of game, both guys where known for their hard hitting games, that battle should be awash. Mosdell and Otto offer good 3rd line games as well. Was surprised to see the opposition to the Otto pick when I went with him I was impressed by his 2 way game, he was called a prototypical 3rd line centre and quite often shadowed Mark messier during the Battle of Alberta in the 80's. Gustafsson was a guy I looked at in this draft, Muller gives a 2 way game, should be a good matchup. The checking line battle for both teams should be a good 1.

Advtanage: Equal

4th Line:

Percy Galbraith/Doug Weight/Eddie Wiseman vs. Hec Kilrea/Bobby Smith/Bobby Schmautz

I scouted Galbraith in this draft but found him to offer very little offensively, good special teams guy though. Bobby Schmautz appears to be a good all around guy. Doug Weight and Bobby Smith are both good playmaking centres. The final battle is Eddie Wiseman vs. Hec Kilrea, both look to be good hands to have.

Advtanage: Slight 1 to Quebec.

I'll be back later with my thoughts on the defense, I look forward to velo's rebuttal.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Time now to debate the defense:

Pairing 1:

Jack Stewart/Frantisek Pospisil vs. Brad Park/Fern Flaman

Comments: Your 1st pairing appears to me 2 defensive stalwarts whereas mine is all around for Park and defensive for Flaman. Stewart is a bit of a weak #1 while Flaman is an average #2, both guys appear to be good defensive defenseman and should bring the physical to the bluelines for their teams. Pospisil is a good defenseman but more of a lower end #2, I have Brad Park and his all around game will do wonders for my team in this matchup.

Advantage: Quebec

Pairing 2:

Kevin Hatcher/Jack Crawford vs. Jim Neilson/JG Talbot:

Hatcher and Talbot look to be the offensive guys on the 2nd pairings for the teams. Hatcher also brings a decent physical game as well, Hatcher was one of my favourites growing up but his reputation hurts him a little here. Jack Crawford vs. Jim Neislon appears to be the defensive battle of the 2nd pairing. Crawford moreso due to Hatcher's (At times) carelessness). Both Neilson and Talbot can move the puck as well so that's good for my team.

3rd Pairing:

Ted Harris/Phil Housley vs. Rob Ramage/Bob Armstrong

For our final pairing we went for the classic offense defense pairing. The defensive guys match up vs. 1 another and the offensive guys match vs. 1 another. You did right in sheltering Housley's even strength minutes, he's matched vs. Ramage and though I said I was going to do damage with Rob Ramage I don't know how well he'll match vs. Housley. Harris vs. Armstrong should be a close battle of 2 defensive guys.

Tomorrow I'll debate the goalies, looking forward to a rebuttal from velo too soon.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
My computer crashed over the weekend, convenient timing! I'll probably only be able to take on a few assessments here before voting.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
To bad there velo was looking forward to a debate, I'll continue on though with the goalies, coaches and special teams debate

Goalie:

Ed Belfour/Eddie Giacomin vs. Clint Benedict/Lorne Chabot:

Our goalie duos are amongst the best in the league from the looks of it. Giacomin to me could pass for a starter this year and is a strong backup better than Chabot. Belfour's a good goalie and all but was known to be feisty, if you can get that under control our goalie battle should be a wash.

Advantage: Equal

Coaching:

Bob Johnson/Jaroslav Pitner vs. Lester Patrick:

I have an advantage here I think even though you have an assistant. To me Bob Johnson's a weak ATD coach, Pitner will help him out I think but how much I don't know. Lester Patrick, on the other hand, is a top 4 coach all time (Behind only Bowman, Blake and Arbour IMO) and a guy that can adapt to any situation.

Special Teams:

Not much to say here either, I do like Kharlamov and Abel on your 1st unit, everyone knows about Housley's PP expertise but will he get tired being out there the full 2 minutes of the power play? Also who's going to play defense on that Hatcher-Housley pairing?

Final Thoughts:

A close series that I think goes 7, each team has their strengths and their weaknesses, hopefully you'll get an argument in soon as I was looking to the debate with you but nevertheless good luck to you in the series.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Thanks velo for the opening remarks, now time to offer up some of my own:

Line 1:

Daniel Sedin/Joe Sakic/Ziggy Palffy vs. Bill Barber/Alex Delvecchio/Guy Lafleur

First battle is between Daniel Sedin and Guy Lafleur which will be a battle between 2 finesse guys. Both guys should add a lot to the offense of the 1st lines of both teams. ? is though is Sedin, as good as he is, a 1st liner in this yet? I'm not sure. Lafleur of course is and is in the conversation for one of the nest right wingers of all time. Joe Sakic and Alex Delvecchio offer up the same guy though Sakic does it a bit better. Sakic looks like he's going to be the do everything guy of Kentucky's 1st line which is alright, Delvecchio offers up a good game as well but no where near the good game that Sakic will offer. Palffy and Barber look to be the weak links of the 1st lines. Palffy though put up some good numbers during the dead puck era, still he was offense only from what I can gather, Barber at least had a good 2 way game. Overall your 1st line appears to be tilted offensively while my 1st line looks to be more 2 way.

You've built a solid line here, Tony. Definitely one that works chemistry-wise and is well-rounded. While Sakic is clearly better than Delvecchio, Lafleur and Barber both hold apparent advantages over their opponents' offering. My first line is unique in the way that the best player on the team will do much of the heavy lifting, but since all three players on the line are dominant puck possession players we expect them to utilize a cycle-system in the offensive zone which Sakic and Sedin have been immersed in for portions' of their careers (unsure about Palffy). Quebec gets the nod here.

2nd Line:

Valeri Kharlamov/Sid Abel/Eddie Oatman vs. Dick Duff/Denis Savard/Bill Mosienko:

Kharlamov is an absolute treasure to have anywhere in your lineup but on the 2nd line makes your 2nd line potent, he is matched up against Bill mosienko. I think Mosienko's a good player and all but even I'll admit that Kharlamov is much better than Mosienko. Sid Abel vs. Denis Savard is the next battle. I had targeted Abel before you scooped me so I like the pick. Abel offers up more of a 2 way game than did Savard who was offense only. Both guys are good hands to have for sure. Oatman and Duff look to be the glue guys of the lines. Oatman did a spell on defense as well so that always helps.

Kharlamov vs. Duff is a much larger deficit than that of Lafleur vs. Palffy, Duff was not heralded for his offensive play but possesses two top-10's in goals. Kharlamov was one of the most dynamic forwards in the latter half of the twentieth century and is the primary force on any line he plays on. Abel's VsX for 10 seasons is 78.9 against Savard's 79.2, which cancels out. What Abel has in leadership, grit and defensive ability is no match for Savard. Mosienko, while talented is one of the biggest benefactors of war-scoring and should definitely be perceived as a much lesser version than an elite second line winger. Oatman is not impressive offensively for a second line by any means, but as a defensive and physical presence playing with two top-100 players of all time his strengths will be maximized.

I'd go as far as saying I have a definite advantage on the second line.

3rd Line:

Don Marcotte/Ken Mosdell/BA Gustafsson vs. Kirk Muller/Joel Otto/Floyd Curry

Don Marcotte and Floyd Curry look like they'll offer up the same type of game, both guys where known for their hard hitting games, that battle should be awash. Mosdell and Otto offer good 3rd line games as well. Was surprised to see the opposition to the Otto pick when I went with him I was impressed by his 2 way game, he was called a prototypical 3rd line centre and quite often shadowed Mark messier during the Battle of Alberta in the 80's. Gustafsson was a guy I looked at in this draft, Muller gives a 2 way game, should be a good matchup. The checking line battle for both teams should be a good 1.

I think in terms of shutdown ability the lines are equal, but I trust the offensive output of Kentucky's third line far more than I do Quebec's. Floyd Curry was not a player used in offensive situations, and Otto's points benefited from being a net presence on the power play, not a very attractive ES scorer. Marcotte-Mosdell-Gustafsson is a unit that will primarily be expected to shut down Quebec's scoring units, but has the offensive attributes to be an effective scoring line at ES as well. Kentucky holds an advantage here.

4th Line:

Percy Galbraith/Doug Weight/Eddie Wiseman vs. Hec Kilrea/Bobby Smith/Bobby Schmautz

I scouted Galbraith in this draft but found him to offer very little offensively, good special teams guy though. Bobby Schmautz appears to be a good all around guy. Doug Weight and Bobby Smith are both good playmaking centres. The final battle is Eddie Wiseman vs. Hec Kilrea, both look to be good hands to have.

These lines are essentially equals the way I see them, Weight/Smith and then Wiseman are the best offensive players on either lines. Galbraith is weak offensively but perhaps the best defensive player on either line (not to discredit Kilrea, history has just viewed Perk as a more reliable defensive forward) They won't see too much time on ice at ES so they won't be very integral to the result.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Time now to debate the defense:

Pairing 1:

Jack Stewart/Frantisek Pospisil vs. Brad Park/Fern Flaman

Comments: Your 1st pairing appears to me 2 defensive stalwarts whereas mine is all around for Park and defensive for Flaman. Stewart is a bit of a weak #1 while Flaman is an average #2, both guys appear to be good defensive defenseman and should bring the physical to the bluelines for their teams. Pospisil is a good defenseman but more of a lower end #2, I have Brad Park and his all around game will do wonders for my team in this matchup.

Pospisil was big and was involved offensively on the teams he played on, look for him to be a pretty important part to getting Kentucky's offence going. If Stewart is a weak no.1 so is Rod Langway and Guy Lapointe, I don't see much that separates the two. I'd call Pronovost a weak #1 but its still justifiable, Park is obviously better than Jack but he is definitely where he belongs as a #1. IMO, Pospisil was bigger and more well-rounded than Flaman. But you are correct, Quebec has the better pairing.

Pairing 2:

Kevin Hatcher/Jack Crawford vs. Jim Neilson/JG Talbot:

Hatcher and Talbot look to be the offensive guys on the 2nd pairings for the teams. Hatcher also brings a decent physical game as well, Hatcher was one of my favourites growing up but his reputation hurts him a little here. Jack Crawford vs. Jim Neislon appears to be the defensive battle of the 2nd pairing. Crawford moreso due to Hatcher's (At times) carelessness). Both Neilson and Talbot can move the puck as well so that's good for my team.

Quebec's pairing is perhaps higher in quality but this is going to be a difficult pairing to get past. In your top-six I don't see many forwards except possibly Barber who can retaliate the abuse that Hatcher-Crawford will be doling out. Physicality is the theme of this top-4 of my D corps, and thats exactly the style of play we plan one employing.

I'd say a very small advantage to the Nordiques.

3rd Pairing:

Ted Harris/Phil Housley vs. Rob Ramage/Bob Armstrong

For our final pairing we went for the classic offense defense pairing. The defensive guys match up vs. 1 another and the offensive guys match vs. 1 another. You did right in sheltering Housley's even strength minutes, he's matched vs. Ramage and though I said I was going to do damage with Rob Ramage I don't know how well he'll match vs. Housley. Harris vs. Armstrong should be a close battle of 2 defensive guys.

This is fair, Housley will be most instrumental on the PP unit but has a very solid stay-at-home partner in Harris.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
To bad there velo was looking forward to a debate, I'll continue on though with the goalies, coaches and special teams debate

Goalie:

Ed Belfour/Eddie Giacomin vs. Clint Benedict/Lorne Chabot:

Our goalie duos are amongst the best in the league from the looks of it. Giacomin to me could pass for a starter this year and is a strong backup better than Chabot. Belfour's a good goalie and all but was known to be feisty, if you can get that under control our goalie battle should be a wash.

I don't anticipate this being an issue as Eddie was a money goalie who never disappointing in raising his game in the post-season. How is Benedict in big games??

Coaching:

Bob Johnson/Jaroslav Pitner vs. Lester Patrick:

I have an advantage here I think even though you have an assistant. To me Bob Johnson's a weak ATD coach, Pitner will help him out I think but how much I don't know. Lester Patrick, on the other hand, is a top 4 coach all time (Behind only Bowman, Blake and Arbour IMO) and a guy that can adapt to any situation.

Pitner was brought in to employ stronger defensive acumen, which is elaborated by the styles he plays. (Not exclusive to the LW-lock)

Special Teams:

Not much to say here either, I do like Kharlamov and Abel on your 1st unit, everyone knows about Housley's PP expertise but will he get tired being out there the full 2 minutes of the power play? Also who's going to play defense on that Hatcher-Housley pairing?

I think that Kentucky holds an advantage on the extra man, Housley can handle those minutes because he is right at home quarterbacking the PP and won't see much ice during ES. Having Sakic on the point is an additional bonus that allows me to keep Sid Abel on the first unit, truly a masterful first unit that should be the major contributor in this series if Quebec's undisciplined team can't stay out of the sin bin.

Also, Hatcher was a fairly solid defensive player. Handled a lot of big minutes for decent teams, expect him to have a more defensive conscience when on the power play unit. Quebec's PK forwards are not immediate threats to capitalize on shorthanded goals.

Final Thoughts:

A close series that I think goes 7, each team has their strengths and their weaknesses, hopefully you'll get an argument in soon as I was looking to the debate with you but nevertheless good luck to you in the series.

Good luck to you tony.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad