Forwards wth 250+ shots and shooting% of 6?

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
MacKinnon finished this season with 251 shots and 16 goals, 6.4% shooting. The only person I know to have done this or worse is Scott Gomez, at 271 shots and 16 goals, 5.9%.

I think this is troubling, as Scott Gomez is regarded as literally having the worst shot in league history. Are there any good players/scorers with this kind of a season?

People are giving MacKinnon a lot of credit/respect for his % of Avs' overall points. But, he's literally taking all of their shots, while seemingly being their worst goal scorer....

I know people largely view shooting % as a luck thing, on a season to season basis, but when your career percent % is 8... you're not a good scorer. Why is this ignored?

It's like in basketball, anyone can score a lot if they take a lot of shots. It's inevitable. But, if you're shooting 20% at threes, for your career, then you're not supposed to look to shoot it, as it's detrimental to your team in the long run. You pass it... not just hope a teammate gets a rebound and a tap in.

Are there any players in the game who generate enough shots that you're okay with them just throwing it at the net, with no chance in h it goes in? A la Oveckin (if his shot sucked).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think it's time to come to the realization that MacKinnon's shot just isn't very good. His shooting % isn't even that big of an outlier of his historical percentage (8.1%).

For an "elite" forward, that just isn't good.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
First name that popped into my head was Jason Blake during his time with the Leafs.

Checked on ESPN and lo and behold, his first year with the Leafs he had 332 shots and 15 goals for 4.5% shooting.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
260 and 6.5% i think

turns it around to be over double that this year at around 240 shots

That's interesting to me that his career high in shots is the year he had the least "luck." I guess you either become "gun shy" or really go the brute force route. 2 years prior, he played in 2 more games with same TOI and had 112 fewer shots. Got to assume the quality of his shot selection went way down in that 6.5 season.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
5.75% last year, 6.33% year before. So under 6.5 % on 516 shots, I think we are looking at an average shooter

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Here you go, OP. I think this is what you want.

I used 250 or more shots and 6 SH% or lower as the thresholds.

EDIT: narrowed the search to forwards, as per OP. My mistake on not seeing that originally.

Last edited:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I think it's time to come to the realization that MacKinnon's shot just isn't very good. His shooting % isn't even that big of an outlier of his historical percentage (8.1%).

For an "elite" forward, that just isn't good.

Even if his shot isent that elite it doesnt mean these numbers cant improve alot.

Teams probably focus alot on him so he doesnt get the best chances.

Add a playet that is a playmaker and can open up space for him and in sure his numbers improve alot.

Its not as simple as "doesnt have elite shot"

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
It would make sense to exclude defencemen, low S% is expected from them.

But then, thing get a little grim...

Looking at most of mackinnons goals he is basiclly all alone :/

With some support for tap ins and someone to pass to himself it would lilely look a bit better atleast

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
If MacKinnon is the new Scott Gomez, does that mean he has the potential to be the new Toews?

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
Here you go, OP. I think this is what you want.

I used 250 or more shots and 6 SH% or lower as the thresholds.

EDIT: narrowed the search to forwards, as per OP. My mistake on not seeing that originally.

Thanks for that.

I don't understand how a fast player doesn't inherently have a good %. You're going to get so many break aways and higher % chances. To me, he seems to have good hands and a good wrist shot (granted it's placed well).

His accuracy has to be unreal bad or is some kind of one trick pony. No idea. But, I do remember thinking he had the most lack luster/disappointing result in the hardest shot contest this year.

"Our" enforcer, Ryan Reaves, had 7 goals this year on 12.1% shooting. If we gave him power play time and 10 minutes a game... he might have had 16... MacKinnon's trend is impossible to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad