Prospect Info: Forum40 Draft Poll#9

Who's your #9?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Pick the player you like the best for the Coyotes. Not a mock draft. Not a prediction poll. Make the pick you personally like the best for the Coyotes at the spot.

So far our list is...

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Vasili Podkolzin
4. Alex Turcotte
5. Kirby Dach
6. Dylan Cozens
7. Peyton Krebs
8. Trevor Zegras

Pick your #9. Option order from most recent McKenzie poll and mynhldraft.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Alright, alright... I'll finally vote for Byram... I guessss. Haha. I was starting to feel a little bad that he was sliding. In reality, if the Yotes took him (assuming they'd be in a position to) I wouldn't be displeased so... it seems to finally be his time!

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
No Dmen before the top 12 forwards are taken. Boldy is better for the team than Byram.

As Chayka said, sometimes it is not about taking a player that is a need by sacrificing talent. It is his job to keep the cupboards stocked and if we have a player like Byram that can turn into a deal for a player better than Boldy, then you want Byram in your corner.

It's when BPA and need mix together as one that we take extreme advantage, which was probably 99.9% of the reason that Hayton was good to go.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Newhook

Savvy scorer with exceptional foot speed, elite diaganostic ability, and is constantly driving up ice and has a good shot, great passing abilities and a high hockey IQ. Smart quick undersized wing who is very strong, deceptive, has tremendously fast stick handling ability and a tenacious 200 foot stick-to-it-ness that makes him a constant threat to score. He has both a power and speed game that brings fans to the edge of their seats. A tenacious forechecker who extends zone time for his team by not letting the defending team room to get out. Bursts in and by defenders and makes moves at top speed and isn’t deterred in small areas avoiding poke checks and blowing by defenders and then even placing himself on a route towards the next one, only to reach around coverage and continue the attack. He makes the tough plays look easy. He isn’t a shrinking violet in the other two zones either, where he providers backside pressure and uses his speed to get back pucks.Really strong and can use his strength to take charge too. Committed to Boston College
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004
Sure a lot of “draft for need” people on this forum
It's a symptom of our extremely unique situation. The Coyotes have had the most pathetic offense (net) in the NHL since entering the league almost a quarter of a century ago. We're coming off of a season where we were a point away from making the playoffs despite having zero 20 goal scorers, zero players with 50 points and a leading scorer who had 47 points and was a minus 21. There is no savior coming up through the system either. This team is about as desperate as any team could possibly be for offensive talent. What's worse, is the other components of the team are sound enough that we don't have much chance of drafting high enough to secure elite offense talent. We don't have the budget to sign it, or the assets to trade for it.

The only hope for this team to every climb out of purgatory is through the acquisition of offensive talent. The only hope to acquire that talent is to take home-run swings in the middle of the first round and pray we get lucky.

f*** defensemen. There isn't a single scenario where I would draft a defenseman in the the first round of this draft. If Byram inexplicably fell into our laps at pick 14, I wouldn't take him. I'd trade the damn pick for some goals.

As mad as I was at passing on Quinn Hughes last June, I'm glad we picked a forward.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
**** defensemen. There isn't a single scenario where I would draft a defenseman in the the first round of this draft. If Byram inexplicably fell into our laps at pick 14, I wouldn't take him. I'd trade the damn pick for some goals.

Same. I'd be fine if we didn't draft a single defenseman in this year's draft at all. We've got so many D prospects already that we're letting one who has been tearing up the OHL (Hoefenmeyer) walk for nothing in a few weeks. On the forward side, all we have is Liam Kirk and Erik Walli Walterholm in our prospect pool - Jenik is a few years away, Schnarr needs AHL time, and Hayton will be rushed into the NHL even though he's likely not ready either.

Give me ALL THE FORWARDS.

rt

May 13, 2004
Same. I'd be fine if we didn't draft a single defenseman in this year's draft at all. We've got so many D prospects already that we're letting one who has been tearing up the OHL (Hoefenmeyer) walk for nothing in a few weeks. On the forward side, all we have is Liam Kirk and Erik Walli Walterholm in our prospect pool - Jenik is a few years away, Schnarr needs AHL time, and Hayton will be rushed into the NHL even though he's likely not ready either.

10,000 likes.

rt

May 13, 2004
Having said all that, I did pick Byram in this poll because “trade” isn’t an option. My next eight picks will be forwards, though. I’ve no doubt about that.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Would you have taken QuinnHughes or any of the top ranked D from last year ahead of Hayton?

BPA is BPA. If we add a 10+ year minute munching 20 min/night D I’m okay with that. I know what it’s like to have a below average D in the league so I’m not looking at a D that has older vets like Hjarlmarsson and Goligoski with a belief that they won’t need to be someday replaced. I’d love to get a forward but there are some damn fine D available in this draft.

Reactions: Mosby

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Would you have taken QuinnHughes or any of the top ranked D from last year ahead of Hayton?

Ahead of Hayton? Maybe. I didn't know enough about Hayton at the time so I would have been conflicted. Ahead of the top ten ranked forward prospects? No.

BPA is BPA. If we add a 10+ year minute munching 20 min/night D I’m okay with that. I know what it’s like to have a below average D in the league so I’m not looking at a D that has older vets like Hjarlmarsson and Goligoski with a belief that they won’t need to be someday replaced. I’d love to get a forward but there are some damn fine D available in this draft.

I'll say it again - we have close to zero top-four forward depth in our system. Hayton's our only real potential top-caliber prospect out of everyone we've got, signed or unsigned, at center or wing. On D, we have Joseph, Bahl, Dineen, Gross, and Capobianco who are all promising candidates - and guys like Emberson, Crotty, and Callahan as unsigned prospects who may have potential as well. Moreover, we are well-stocked in goalie prospects.

Our greatest organizational need by at least four hundred miles is at forward. Our cupboard is not only bare, but it's dried up and turning to dust. So in my view, the BPA is going to be a forward no matter who's available at our pick.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ahead of Hayton? Maybe. I didn't know enough about Hayton at the time so I would have been conflicted. Ahead of the top ten ranked forward prospects? No.

I'll say it again - we have close to zero top-four forward depth in our system. Hayton's our only real potential top-caliber prospect out of everyone we've got, signed or unsigned, at center or wing. On D, we have Joseph, Bahl, Dineen, Gross, and Capobianco who are all promising candidates - and guys like Emberson, Crotty, and Callahan as unsigned prospects who may have potential as well. Moreover, we are well-stocked in goalie prospects.

Our greatest organizational need by at least four hundred miles is at forward. Our cupboard is not only bare, but it's dried up and turning to dust. So in my view, the BPA is going to be a forward no matter who's available at our pick.
I have a strong preference at forward but if my scouts are saying to draft the d that falls to us at 14 then I’m taking the d.

My fear is you get into a wishing on a player to be a top line player who scouts are indicating is a 2/3 line guy and you pass on a top 2D. The same thing most of us accused Chayka of last year when we took Hayton at 5.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Being the best defenseman in a forward heavy draft class doesn't raise his value to me.
I have a bias toward forwards on the top 15. Odds of getting an impact D in later rounds are better than getting an impact forward there. Odds on acquiring impact forwards drop quickly after the top five, ten, first two rounds, etc.
I don't think D prospects pan out at a higher rate than forwards which might weigh against that.
You also only have 6 d slots and need 13 forwards. So that weighs slightly for me, too.
I am a BPA guy, but in the first round, if there isn't a clear step up between the D and a forward, I think the forward has to take it.
I think Byram is a stud. I think he's definitely in the Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist (ignoring injuries) group, and above Bouchard. I just don't see him at a Dahlin tier prospect that would justify passing the best available forwards before this point.
If I thought he was a clear step above the earlier forwards, I'd take him earlier. I had Turcotte lower than most, and I think Byram is on par as a prospect. I don't think he's clearly better than that, so I took the best forward.
The fact the Coyotes desperately need talent doesn't shape my list much. If I was the Oilers, my list wouldn't change much. Byram would be in the mix with Turcotte, Krebs, Zegras, and I wouldn't allow need to take him before that point.
I just want the draft to add value to the system. You can re-arrange the value later if needed.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’m still tweaking but I have 4 D in top 16 as of today. I do think that my affinity for this forward group decreases substantially the minute names like Caufield, Newhook, Krebs, Turcotte, Boldy (and all the top rated forward guys) are off the board. It all depends on how this draft goes but names like Broberg are in the mix for me at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad