Confirmed with Link: Forsling signs 1 year/2-way deal - 700k/250k

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Good trade-off for the Canes. I'm sure they were wary about Forsling being awarded a one-way deal. Upping the AHL pay and coming to an amiable deal works for the team and Forsling.

Joakim Ryan is a better option making $100k less in the AHL so Forsling made out well.

Knowing the Hurricanes, they clearly aren't afraid of the arbitrator unlike some front offices (they had no qualms about burying the Anton Forsberg one-way for the whole year), but in the end, good deal for both parties. $250K is a nice chunk of change for AHL duty.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This one seems a little odd, since I’d think his salary at the NHL levek should be higher than the minimum since he was tendered a qualifying offer
He actually signed a QO for the 2019-20 season: $874,125 / $70,000.

The offer of $917,831.25 in fully hypothetical money and $70,000 in real but also unlikely is kind of offensive.

"Can't you f***ing round it up to $917,832 at least?"
"Sorry, Gustav. Policy."

700k/250k is cheap in the N, expensive in the A. I like his thinking.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And the idea is that Chicago pays for part of this, right? Do we have any confirmation on how that will work on any particular deal, or are we just left to compare AHL salaries past vs present and infer the difference ourselves?

It's probably as fun and complicated as the cap implications are:

50.5 (d)(B) From the day following the last day of Training Camp until and including June 30 of each League Year, "Averaged Club Salary" for each Club shall be calculated as the sum of the following amounts

-klip-

(6) For any Player on a One-Way NHL SPC who is Loaned to a club in another professional league, the Averaged Amount of such SPC less the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $375,000 for that League Year (e.g., $900,000 in 2012-13) for the period during which such Player is Loaned to such professional league; plus
(7) For any Player on a Two-Way NHL SPC who is Loaned to a club in another professional league, the total compensation (defined for the purpose of this provision only as the greater of (i) that Player's stated Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary and Bonuses (other than Exhibit 5 Bonuses unless earned)) in that League Year, and (ii) that Player's minimum compensation guarantee and Bonuses (other than Exhibit 5 Bonuses unless earned) in that League Year in excess of the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $375,000 for that League Year (e.g., $925,000 in 2013-14) for the period during which such Player is Loaned to a club in such professional league; plus

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I find it ... odd that Adam Gold (who’s plugged in) suggests Forsling will most likely see spot duty in the NHL.
something is afoot

I think it is more accurate to say Adam Gold is "allegedly" plugged in. He's mostly on the periphery and has a fairly loud microphone, but he's not really a hockey guy and only recently has had the access. Also, and more important in this context, Adam Gold spouts opinions as if they are "set in stone" facts. Besides, it would be a kindness to call him an idiot.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Also, and more important in this context, Adam Gold spouts opinions as if they are "set in stone" facts. Besides, it would be a kindness to call him an idiot.

That is likely who Gold is—but it could also be who he was forced to become. The media landscape has never provided security for people who provide deep analysis and rational discussion.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That is likely who Gold is—but it could also be who he was forced to become. The media landscape has never provided security for people who provide deep analysis and rational discussion.
You mean he didn't choose the hack life?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
He looked really good early on for the Hawks, so I have a hard time disregarding the guy. The depth is always welcome, Bean should have to outplay guys for a role.

Exactly. We're not some crap organization anymore like in the old days when the likes of Joslin and Rodney were crowding the bottom pairs. Good prospects need good competition.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
forsling was handled poorly by chicago in my opinion. the 58 games he played in charlotte last season was the most he played for one team in one season in his north american career by like a dozen. they moved him around too much and i think a lot of it was that they were afraid he would go back home if they didn't keep him elevated. he was one of the top defensive prospects in hockey at one point. he played on the u20 for sweden twice. another problem is that people would watch a player like this and say "boy, give him two or three years..." and then bail on the idea of a more traditional development path. i think carolina probably made it clear to him that last year was an image rehabilitation year and he knocked it out of the park by most accounts. he's very similar to the type of player we're favoring recently in our drafting that are strong on tools. i like this deal for both parties because it makes him incredibly mobile. i think part of what carolina is doing with their contracts is incredibly smart. they're seemingly undercutting the top end of the deal with the bottom number being higher, which is effectively buying cap space from their tweeners. it will be interesting to see how much more confident forsling looks in camp this year as compared to last and this guarantee in his deal should do a bit to relax him as well. he's still only 24 and could be very much in the mix with what we're doing. one of the few true position battles is happening regarding the order of our 6th/7th/8th defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad