Forsberg: Lindros was a fair player, tough but never dirty

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Two great players in the 1990s, and in Forsberg's case a little past the 1990s. They were always compared to each other because of the trade. I think for the longest time you would want Lindros if he were healthy on your team over Forsberg but come 2000 and Scott Stevens' hit that all changed. Lindros outside of a Flyers uniform was never the same.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Agree with Forsberg. Quebec and Philadelphia was budding into a good rivalry when the Nords moved. Had the Nordiques stayed, there could have been some possibly great playoff series between the two teams.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think for the longest time you would want Lindros if he were healthy on your team over Forsberg but come 2000 and Scott Stevens' hit that all changed. Lindros outside of a Flyers uniform was never the same.

Not me.

Forsberg's off-the-charts compete level, elite skill, tenacious physicality, excellent speed and solid two way game made him a very complete player and his ability to be effective in all three zones always nudged him ahead of Lindros for me.

Forsberg was not as intimidating as Lindros, but he was just as a tough and extremely difficult to play against because of his relentless physical play. The fact that he was solid defensively is what put ahead of Lindros for me.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Not me.

Forsberg's off-the-charts compete level, elite skill, tenacious physicality, excellent speed and solid two way game made him a very complete player and his ability to be effective in all three zones always nudged him ahead of Lindros for me.

Forsberg was not as intimidating as Lindros, but he was just as a tough and extremely difficult to play against because of his relentless physical play. The fact that he was solid defensively is what put ahead of Lindros for me.
I agree that Forsberg was solid defensively, but don't you think Lindros (as a Flyer anyway) was also? For the six seasons their careers overlapped while Lindros was in Philly, Eric went +144 and Peter +116, and if anything you'd have to say Forsberg's team was slightly better.

In each players's prime years, I think I can flip a coin between them. Lindros did have to carry a heavier load in Philly, though (no Sakic or Roy for support).

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
For the six seasons their careers overlapped while Lindros was in Philly, Eric went +144 and Peter +116, and if anything you'd have to say Forsberg's team was slightly better.

John LeClair went +160 with the Flyers during that time frame, Forsberg team could have been better but not necessarily the player on the ice when he was playing (the most important element +/- wise).

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Cant read this article , its blocked in Europe, so i cant say exactly what is written there. But in my memory there was an accident with Svehla in 1996. And not in the mood "Lindros played tough but fair".

Florbalista

Jul 28, 2019
Surely Pete is talking about his own experience only? There were always dirtier players in the league, but fair is not the word I would use to describe Lindros to an alien.

They were always compared to each other because of the trade. I think for the longest time you would want Lindros if he were healthy on your team over Forsberg but come 2000 and Scott Stevens' hit that all changed. Lindros outside of a Flyers uniform was never the same.

I think most people would have picked Forsberg over Eric by 98. Forsberg's 97/98 was simply better. I know Lindros got Kasper-dazed come early March, but he was about ten points behind Forsberg at that moment anyway. If you add their respective playoffs, I'm not sure many people would have picked Lindros over Forsberg at the start of 98/99. I know I would not.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Surely Pete is talking about his own experience only? There were always dirtier players in the league, but fair is not the word I would use to describe Lindros to an alien.

I think that goes without saying, but here's the quote "He never hit me from behind or crosschecked me in a ugly way. I thought he was fair, he never jumped me"

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It was a damn pleasure to watch both of these players. So glad we got to eventually see Forsberg do his thing in a Flyers jersey, even if it was short-lived.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I agree that Forsberg was solid defensively, but don't you think Lindros (as a Flyer anyway) was also? For the six seasons their careers overlapped while Lindros was in Philly, Eric went +144 and Peter +116, and if anything you'd have to say Forsberg's team was slightly better.

In each players's prime years, I think I can flip a coin between them. Lindros did have to carry a heavier load in Philly, though (no Sakic or Roy for support).

Might be you are right but I am pretty confident in saying Lindros had the better linemates.

Not sure who I would rather have to be honest, it's certainly close.

Ace36758

Feb 15, 2007
Calgary
Not me.

Just as tough? BS. Lindros was a legit heavyweight. Forsberg was not.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think most people would have picked Forsberg over Eric by 98. Forsberg's 97/98 was simply better. I know Lindros got Kasper-dazed come early March, but he was about ten points behind Forsberg at that moment anyway. If you add their respective playoffs, I'm not sure many people would have picked Lindros over Forsberg at the start of 98/99. I know I would not.

There was always that............."If only he is healthy for a whole year". I think even in 1999 he had a great year overall, he just missed the end of the year with that collapsed lung. There was always that "what if" thing that hung over Lindros. I think 1999 was his truly last great season and his next year he missed a ton of time and then got nailed by Stevens.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Tough as in rugged. Not strong. And he has a point.

I mean Forsberg was tough, but not in the sense that he was going to run you through the boards.

He was load for d-men to handle though, because you just couldn't move him.

That era allowed dmen alot of liberties in the greasy areas, and I still remeber guys like derian Hatcher delivering feirce slashes and cross-checks to Forsberg, who wouldn't give an inch. It was real painful to even watch.

Reactions: Sentinel

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
That era allowed dmen alot of liberties in the greasy areas, and I still remeber guys like derian Hatcher delivering feirce slashes and cross-checks to Forsberg, who wouldn't give an inch. It was real painful to even watch.

Derian Hatcher on Forsberg: "think he's the toughest player in the game to play against."

Chris Chelios on Forsberg: "He was so skilled and yet so powerful. The man could simply do it all and at the same time he was hard as nails. He was extremely tough to play against."

Reactions: Sentinel

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö

Huge Forsberg-fan (and swede...), but can´t say I would at the hold Forsberg ahead of Lindros untill after Lindros last season as a Philly. In retropersctive I see it different, but at the time I still regarded and expected the mid 20 Lindros to be the better player with the better career.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Lindros was fair until you were dirty with him, then he could be really dirty. He generally didn't have to resort to cheap play anyway, his ability to completely destroy a guy with a clean body check is unrivaled to this day.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
He might have been a "clean" player. Yet he was in the the most cringiest interview whit a hockeyplayer I've seen on Swedish sports-TV. Think it was in his early twenties, his early career and a in a short documentary/long interview that did nothing but praise him, then he got questions about his family name which sounds Swedish. And he was like "- No never, I cant be Swedish! "Mean laugh"Me the tough hockey player that I am, You really think Im Swedish?! No way, my name and I is 100% Canadian!" Not the exakt words , yet what he said. Ok if it had been on Don Cherry or something , this was on Swedish National-tv, documetary-long interview whit him only. Hated him after that. And Im not the only one I think. Remember when Douglas Murray tried to fight him, and Lindros wanted nothing to do whit him, Im sure it could have something to do whit this.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
No, I don't.

Lindros is so underrated defensively, he was often among the lead leaders in takeaways. Nobody was paying much attention because they wanted to see him hit, fight and score but he was often the lead forechecker and responsible for starting many rushes out of the defensive zone by forcing turnovers.

also anyone saying "Forsberg easy/clearly" is only looking at playoffs and ignoring the massive difference in overall team talent that allowed Forsberg to play an extra 100 games. I mean, i'm one of the biggest Lindros fans ever, and i'll give you Forsberg if you prefer, that's fine. But there's nothing easy or clear about picking either player here.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Was it the lack of talent that made the Flyers lose to the likes of the Sabres, the Panthers, and the Leafs come postseason?

Lindros only made 4 playoff runs with the Flyers.

94-95: L in Conf Final to Cup Champion Devils
95-96: L in 2nd round to Cup finalist Panthers
96-97: L in Cup Final to Cup Champion Red Wings
97-98: Disappointing L in 1st round to Buffalo

So one real regrettable loss in that span. Every other season he was on really bad teams or dealing with injury. Go back and look at those Flyers rosters and tell me it was anything close to as good as what the other top teams were icing during that era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad