Former Winnipeg Jets interim HC Dave Lowry joins Seattle as an Assistant Coach

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Dumb question but is he good? Did Hakstol have an assistant last year or is this a case of ownership giving him more resources to succeed so there are less excuses later?

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Dumb question but is he good? Did Hakstol have an assistant last year or is this a case of ownership giving him more resources to succeed so there are less excuses later?
He’s an honest, tell it how it is type of coach. He’s got a great hockey mind and I could see him becoming head coach one day.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I really like this hire.

His WHL record as a HC is bonkers.

As a player, he was always highly respected as a vet and great locker room presence.

His well spoken and calm demeanor that he always exuded as as player should be a welcome balance to Hakstol's personality.

While I know it was just a joke, I am hoping there is some bit of foresight to @Fistfullofbeer 's comment above :D

Reactions: Sad People

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I really like this hire.

His WHL record as a HC is bonkers.

As a player, he was always highly respected as a vet and great locker room presence.

His well spoken and calm demeanor that he always exuded as as player should be a welcome balance to Hakstol's personality.

While I know it was just a joke, I am hoping there is some bit of foresight to @Fistfullofbeer 's comment above :D
Has to be some foresight there.

He’s not attached to the Leafs or Sabres… so it’s new! Or am I wrong?

His run in Victoria was something else. Best that team has ever been. He’s supposedly a development genius of the Mike Johnston ilk. Definitely liking this hire.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Oh good. So Hakstol's replacement is good to go already. Ron Francis playing 4D chess over here.

Could also be a more experienced guy to help out Jay Leach as his top assistant if Hackstol's gone.

Though, that's a discussion for the future(or maybe 20 games into the season :naughty: ) and I think @The Marquis point of Lowry's development skills might be more accurate.

• Haha
Reactions: majormajor

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Oh good. So Hakstol's replacement is good to go already. Ron Francis playing 4D chess over here.
I've always been a bit confused about who hires the assistant coaches. I've assumed that is a HC responsibility to pick the assistants but multiple people have speculated that this isn't the case.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Seems like a very smart move from a lot of different angles.

Reactions: Irie

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I've always been a bit confused about who hires the assistant coaches. I've assumed that is a HC responsibility to pick the assistants but multiple people have speculated that this isn't the case.
Depends on the organization and the coach. The top coaches pick their own assistants (for example when Trotz went to NYI), when it comes to newbie coaches, a lot of times it's the GM making the choice.

Regardless, this certainly makes it easier to fire Hakstol midseason....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad