Former WBS player/ Wheeling coach found dead

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Sucks to hear. My thoughts are with his family.

Heroin: don't do it. I lost a friend right before Thanksgiving because of it. And someone I played soccer with for many years just a few months before that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Damn shame. Sad story.

Was he the former head coach of Wheeling or the current head coach?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I remember him.

He was considered by someone, maybe Bombulie, as the next baby Pens captain but ended up having to retire due to an injury. Then was rumored to be an assistant coach candidate but disappeared for a while until he showed up in Wheeling.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I just mentioned his leaving the Nailers mid-playoffs not even a week ago. I guess we now know why he did that.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I remember him.

He was considered by someone, maybe Bombulie, as the next baby Pens captain but ended up having to retire due to an injury. Then was rumored to be an assistant coach candidate but disappeared for a while until he showed up in Wheeling.

That's how it starts a lot of times. Opiate painkillers lead a lot of people down the path to heroin addiction. That **** is criminally dangerous and got way over prescribed- it's the same thing that happened to Stevens.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
A few people I went to high school with died of an overdose, including someone I knew since we were 5, and I never suspected or had any suspicion they were using until after the fact. I don't know how you hide that sort of thing, but they do.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
A few people I went to high school with died of an overdose, including someone I knew since we were 5, and I never suspected or had any suspicion they were using until after the fact. I don't know how you hide that sort of thing, but they do.

Believe me from personal experience, for many, it's easier to hide for a long time than you would think. It pretty much always gets to the point that it can't be as it progresses... unfortunately often times that doesn't happen until too late and the damage is done.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Heroin is a hell of a drug, I wonder if this is why he was let go a season ago, because of substance abuse and was in treatment? It's sad with addiction, but it's a little weird to feel bad, you know?

I do feel sorry for his family and friends, it's a terrible loss.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
In my younger years, I fell in with the wrong crowd. I didn't exactly have the best childhood so I rebelled a bit.

The one thing I never did was heroin. Did a lot of other stupid stuff But oddly enough, that was my line. Go figure.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Just an FYI:

A GoFundMe was set up to help the family:

https://www.gofundme.com/david-gove-memorial-fund

Good to see and thanks. I donated what I could.

Also as someone who grew up in Western PA and who had several friends family members turn to heroin and pills and a few who later kicked the habit, I'd also like to take a second and point out that heroin addiction is a disease, not a moral failing. People can kick the habit, and while it takes a lot of medical as well as social support, but it's definitely possible and do-able. If you have someone in your family or friend circle with an opiate addiction, ask your doctors about getting naloxone, which can save lives in the case of an overdose and is often covered under health insurance (and definitely under Medicare/Medicaid). And make sure you also look for reputable treatment centers in your area-- there's lots of scams out there-- but SAMHSA has a treatment hotline that can be very useful, 1-800-662-HELP.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
That's how it starts a lot of times. Opiate painkillers lead a lot of people down the path to heroin addiction. That **** is criminally dangerous and got way over prescribed- it's the same thing that happened to Stevens.

Yep. Oxycodone/Oxycontin grab you quick too. I had Oxy for a shoulder surgery last year and went through a mild withdrawal after taking myself off of them after 4 days. Great at killing pain but brutal stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad