Former Sens 2013-14

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
I've watched a decent amount of Star's games so far, and Hemsky has actually looked pretty good despite his stat line. Many times on the ice he looks like a one man show . He just isn't playing with good line mates .

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
DaCosta, Volchenkov, Foligno, Vermette, Hossa and Chara. Would make us a better team. Would probably take Kelly over smith too in a vacuum

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
DaCosta, Volchenkov, Foligno, Vermette, Hossa and Chara. Would make us a better team. Would probably take Kelly over smith too in a vacuum

Also a team we can't afford.

Chara's $7mil, Hossa is $8mil in actual salary, Vermette is $3.75, Foligno is $3.75 in actual salary...

That's $22.5mil right there in real dollars, without Volch & Da Costa's cheap deals. Add them, it's ~$24.5mil. We don't have that kind of money. Heck, that puts us $~5-6mil OVER the cap, as of today, even with Hossa & Foligno's cap savings.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Also a team we can't afford.

Chara's $7mil, Hossa is $8mil in actual salary, Vermette is $3.75, Foligno is $3.75 in actual salary...

That's $22.5mil right there in real dollars, without Volch & Da Costa's cheap deals. Add them, it's ~$24.5mil. We don't have that kind of money. Heck, that puts us $~5-6mil OVER the cap, as of today, even with Hossa & Foligno's cap savings.

Okay do without Chara and Hossa because they are on the decline. Then subtract players like Smith for Kelly, Legwand for Vermette, Greening for Foligno and Gryba for Volchenkov

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza is getting his points on the power play...
12 points, 6 power play points, -4

Points on the powerplay don't count as we all know. They also don't help win games. After all, take away all the power play goals we've given up this season and we'd still lose all those games.

Crosby only has 8 points on the powerplay this season. Barely an average forward.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Only players I really miss are Bishop and Foligno. Hemsky not off to a great start, and I was a big supporter of keeping him and Spezza around.

But what would we do with Bishop? We have Andy and Lehner, there's no need for Bishop

Only players we could use are Chara, Spezza and Hossa, but Chara is about to decline though. Could use Foligno as well, but we are full on forwards, could only upgrade with stars like Hossa or Spezza

Da Costa :cry::cry::cry:

Is there any chance we see him back with the Sens again?

But worst thing is look at that list after Da Costa!

Bochenski, Cheechoo, Kaigorodov, Wick, Daugavins, St. Pierre, Lundin, Zubov, Shannon... :cry:

What could have been...

Okay do without Chara and Hossa because they are on the decline. Then subtract players like Smith for Kelly, Legwand for Vermette, Greening for Foligno and Gryba for Volchenkov

Only upgrade is Foligno but Greening isn't even a regular for the Sens so far this year

So, what are you talking about?

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
But what would we do with Bishop? We have Andy and Lehner, there's no need for Bishop

Only players we could use are Chara, Spezza and Hossa, but Chara is about to decline though. Could use Foligno as well, but we are full on forwards, could only upgrade with stars like Hossa or Spezza

But worst thing is look at that list after Da Costa!

Bochenski, Cheechoo, Kaigorodov, Wick, Daugavins, St. Pierre, Lundin, Zubov, Shannon... :cry:

What could have been...

Only upgrade is Foligno but Greening isn't even a regular for the Sens so far this year

So, what are you talking about?

Volchenkov and Vermette bring elements we need.. Vermette is a great two way center with terrific face off ability and volchenkov is a great shot blocker

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Volchenkov and Vermette bring elements we need.. Vermette is a great two way center with terrific face off ability and volchenkov is a great shot blocker

Sure, but you were replacing Legwand by Vermette, and Gryba by Volchenkov...

Vermette had a great career year in 2009-10 but outside of that, he is a 35-45 pts center. Legwand has produced more and was a way more important player on a better team. Vermette is only 1 year younger. Sure you gain AV (was my 2nd favorite Sens behind Alfie), but you lose Legwand. This is NOT an upgrade despite what you seem to think

Same for Gryba-Volchenkov. AV is not prime A-Train anymore, sure he will block you shots and bring some physicality but he is certainly not an upgrade over Gryba at this point in time...

Smith for Kelly is a wash too, they bring different qualities/elements so it's a matter of preference at this point. I loved Kelly and wouldn't mind making the switch.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'd say Vermette for Legwand is an upgrade.

Vermette is better on face offs, adds an element of speed (probably would be our fastest forward after Hoffman) and is a great PKer.

He would probably produce more in the role he's given too. But that's just my opinion.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If it's an upgrade, it's a very small one. It will take time for people to understand Legwand's game. Very cerebral player, I'm sure the coach really enjoys working with him.

Of course Vermette is more sexy and flashy. But that's for the fans, coaches care about different things. It's like why you choose a guy like Keith or Doughty 10 times out of 10 before a guy like Karlsson...

That being said, always liked Vermy and is a very efficient player as well, but he will also start to lose a step in the next few years too, will turn 33 after the season.

Although it would never happen, I wouldn't mind a 1v1 trade for Legwand but he has 1 more year on his deal and Vermette will probably look to make more money...

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Sure, but you were replacing Legwand by Vermette, and Gryba by Volchenkov...

Vermette had a great career year in 2009-10 but outside of that, he is a 35-45 pts center. Legwand has produced more and was a way more important player on a better team. Vermette is only 1 year younger. Sure you gain AV (was my 2nd favorite Sens behind Alfie), but you lose Legwand. This is NOT an upgrade despite what you seem to think

Same for Gryba-Volchenkov. AV is not prime A-Train anymore, sure he will block you shots and bring some physicality but he is certainly not an upgrade over Gryba at this point in time...

Smith for Kelly is a wash too, they bring different qualities/elements so it's a matter of preference at this point. I loved Kelly and wouldn't mind making the switch.

so far this season, so not huge sample size, i think the vermette-legwand swap and the smith-kelly swap makes us a better team.

legwand has been kinda underwhelming so far. vermette is at least as good defensively, is better in the dot, and as of right now, has more points. legwand can be better though, so i don't know if i'd make the swap, but vermette has benn better this season.

kelly is better defensively than smith, and outside of last game, smith has also been underwhelming in all aspects of the game. if he keeps up his play from last night, i don't think i make the swap though. he threw a couple of checks and caused a lot of turnovers. smith also has that great shot that he sometimes likes to show off. smith has a lower cap hit as well.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'd take Kelly over Smith in a heartbeat.

Smith just isn't doing what he did to make this team. He used to be a force out there hitting everything, getting under people's skin and he showed some offensive flair as well.

The last couple of years, he looks way too comfortable out there and he ghosts too many shifts.

Kelly is consistent.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
so far this season, so not huge sample size, i think the vermette-legwand swap and the smith-kelly swap makes us a better team.

legwand has been kinda underwhelming so far. vermette is at least as good defensively, is better in the dot, and as of right now, has more points. legwand can be better though, so i don't know if i'd make the swap, but vermette has benn better this season.

kelly is better defensively than smith, and outside of last game, smith has also been underwhelming in all aspects of the game. if he keeps up his play from last night, i don't think i make the swap though. he threw a couple of checks and caused a lot of turnovers. smith also has that great shot that he sometimes likes to show off. smith has a lower cap hit as well.

Personally, I don't find Legwand underwhelming, I find him very efficient and well, that's the first thing I look for in hockey players. Skating style, flash, etc, come later on my list. He has 5 points in 11 games (all were well deserved points) playing a shutdown role with Chris Neil and Zack Smith. But I agree he has more to give, let him get acclimated to his new team and develop chemistry with his teammates. He is not a speed merchant anymore but he is fast enough to be efficient.

And like I said, I always liked Vermette and wouldn't mind the 1 for 1 swap, but doubt the Sens would trade Legwand after signing him for cheap on a 2 year deal. What a bad PR that would be.

I agree Smith has been underwhelming so far this season, I don't recognize him so far, looks like a passenger. Last 2 years, opinion would have been very different though, Kelly didn't have his best seasons and was also injured. I wouldn't make the swap because of age (34 vs 26) and salaries (3.00 vs 1.88) though, and Smith can be better than that small sample size. Better shot, more grit and is no slouch defensively, well if you put any on stats/facts :

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...500&teamid=21&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

And for the record, look at my opinion so far on Legwand (6/10) and Smith (4/10) :

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=91981139&postcount=56

Thing is I don't try to base my evaluations on small sample size and one play there and there (which is a popular approach on HF). So proven players have some leeway in my book.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Nick Foligno (LW) 1987-10-31 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 19 10 10 20 18
Jason Spezza (C) 1983-06-13 Dallas Stars NHL 21 4 14 18 2

Marián Hossa (RW) 1979-01-12 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 20 3 12 15 8
Antoine Vermette (C) 1982-07-20 Arizona Coyotes NHL 21 5 9 14 18
Jakob Silfverberg (LW/RW) 1990-10-13 Anaheim Ducks NHL 21 1 9 10 6
Chris Kelly (C) 1980-11-11 Boston Bruins NHL 21 2 6 8 4
Matt Cullen (C) 1976-11-02 Nashville Predators NHL 12 3 4 7 4
Martin Havlát (RW/LW) 1981-04-19 New Jersey Devils NHL 11 2 4 6 6
Patrick Eaves (RW) 1984-05-01 Dallas Stars NHL 15 2 4 6 4
Ales Hemsky (RW) 1983-08-13 Dallas Stars NHL 20 0 5 5 4
Rob Klinkhammer (LW/RW) 1986-08-12 Arizona Coyotes NHL 17 3 0 3 4
Zdeno Chára (D) 1977-03-18 Boston Bruins NHL 9 2 1 3 6

Cory Conacher (LW/RW) 1989-12-14 New York Islanders NHL 14 1 2 3 14
Andrej Meszaros (D) 1985-10-13 Buffalo Sabres NHL 15 0 3 3 16
Sergei Gonchar (D) 1974-04-13 Montréal Canadiens NHL 6 0 2 2 4
David Rundblad (D) 1990-10-08 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 9 0 2 2 2
Anton Volchenkov (D) 1982-02-25 Nashville Predators NHL 16 0 2 2 4
Sergei Gonchar (D) 1974-04-13 Dallas Stars * NHL 3 0 1 1 2
Peter Regin (C) 1986-04-16 Chicago Blackhawks * NHL 4 0 1 1 0
Brooks Laich (LW/C) 1983-05-23 Washington Capitals NHL 6 0 1 1 2
Dany Heatley (LW/RW) 1981-01-21 Anaheim Ducks NHL 4 0 0 0 0
Brian McGrattan (RW) 1981-09-02 Calgary Flames NHL 7 0 0 0 4

André Benoît (D) 1984-01-06 Buffalo Sabres NHL 14 0 0 0 8
Jesse Winchester (C/RW) 1983-10-04 Colorado Avalanche NHL - - - - -
Matt Carkner (D) 1980-11-03 New York Islanders NHL - - - - -
Mike Fisher (C) 1980-06-05 Nashville Predators NHL - - - - -

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Curtis McElhinney (G) 1983-05-23 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 8 3.65 .887
Ray Emery (G) 1982-09-28 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 8 3.22 .897
Ben Bishop (G) 1986-11-21 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 18 2.30 .917
Brian Elliott (G) 1985-04-09 St. Louis Blues NHL 13 1.90 .927

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
RE: Bishop. We should have played hardball with Lehner, told him to stop whining, earn his keep in the AHL (and told Bingo to play him regularly), and he'll get his shot when it's his time.
Then just let things run their course naturally between Anderson and Bishop, probably wouldn't have re-upped Anderson and would be looking at Bishop/Lehner next season.

Volchenkov is not someone to cry over missing, he's had a decent season this year - but the last few seasons he was not in the good graces on the Devils, pretty sure he actually ended up being a healthy scratch at some points. And I seem to recall pretty much everyone here agreeing that what he got paid was not what he was worth to us.

Vermette and Foligno I both miss, think they fit well on our team - but they did get us good pieces in return, so there is that... Vermette and Foligno... or Lehner and Methot?

I still wonder in the Ryan trade whether they'd have accepted Mika instead of Silfverberg... I think we could have used his skill set more the last couple seasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad