News Article: Former players tell The Athletic about CBJ as an organization

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
I could be reading into too much into it, but Cam is sounding pretty entitled. I do get the sense that he's not a Jarmo fan here.

Boo hoo. I will admit that Jarmo is abrasive and cold, but he seems honest and forth right. Perhaps Cam wanted more sunshine blown up his backside. Cam has also not been the same player since Bread left.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I don’t know what happened that Cam feels like the front office is finally listening to the leadership group. Buying at the deadline a few years ago was received with so much enthusiasm from the guys that had been here and put in the time. Unless the leadership group all said that they want out, I’m not sure how these recent changes represent the front office taking the players input.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think part of the older players things quote may be dealing with the renovating of the training and locker room. The way I understand it (and I could be wrong) is a couple of the guys acquired last year (Domi and Laine especially) really pointed out how they were lacking. Now maybe the vets ran with it, or maybe the FO heard it directly. Not sure. But Nash is overseeing that project and I beleive there is 2-3 phases and just phase 1 being done now). I'm sure when complete it will be shown all what is being done.

I wish Cam all the best (like I'm sure most of us do) but he needs to go and not burn bridges. He was surprised (like about everyone) and I'm sure he thought he was safe and I bet in his mind he thought he was going to be the leader this year.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think part of the older players things quote may be dealing with the renovating of the training and locker room. The way I understand it (and I could be wrong) is a couple of the guys acquired last year (Domi and Laine especially) really pointed out how they were lacking. Now maybe the vets ran with it, or maybe the FO heard it directly. Not sure. But Nash is overseeing that project and I beleive there is 2-3 phases and just phase 1 being done now). I'm sure when complete it will be shown all what is being done.

I wish Cam all the best (like I'm sure most of us do) but he needs to go and not burn bridges. He was surprised (like about everyone) and I'm sure he thought he was safe and I bet in his mind he thought he was going to be the leader this year.

Why does he "need" to do that? Are JD/Jarmo going to remove his A? Is Lars going to bench him?

He was asked a question and gave a response. His comments weren't that bad at all, and beyond that, they're likely true to at least some extent. (See: the origination of this thread that we're posting in.) He obviously shouldn't lie, and he probably shouldn't say things that are really, really damaging (nothing he said was), but he no longer needs to say the perfect thing or sugarcoat a statement to protect the CBJ's reputation. He owes the CBJ absolutely nothing. Literally. He's a Flyer. He's not a Jacket.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I’m a bit worried about this org ever truly competing for a championship. As we all know, you need a lot of luck, a lot of skill, and talented veterans on the team to win a cup. Having talented players who were drafted here and re-signed long term is huge to building the necessary culture.

I’m not confident any of these kids we just drafted will stick around/not force their way out if they establish themselves as great players.

the org cheaping out on amenities and whatnot doesn’t surprise me. Our owner is terrible and a cheapskate. Trust fund idiot.

Reactions: BluejacketNut

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Is that a CBJ problem or a problem of the player and their agents?

If Germain Auto (or any other company) though having player "X" driving their car and being in a commercial helped them sell cars I'm sure they would do it.
Example is Foligno and Papa Johns - it looked like that commercial aired in various markets (with a player from other NHL teams) doing a similar script. So in that case Papa Johns just plugged in player from different teams. But not sure if there are any others like that?
My guess is NHL players have apretty high price tag, where as NCAA players will be happy to take a few thousand dollars and use of a car for the year.

They've been doing that for decades:laugh:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Maybe what had gotten “stale” to the players- Seth, Cam, etc- was Torts, and getting a new coach was the change they wanted to see, but they wanted it much sooner than they got it.

There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of things that have happened that could qualify Cam’s statement saying they finally started making changes that the older guys wanted to see, which is what led me to the Torts thought.

Just a thought from a neighborhood Torts basher.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe what had gotten “stale” to the players- Seth, Cam, etc- was Torts, and getting a new coach was the change they wanted to see, but they wanted it much sooner than they got it.

There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of things that have happened that could qualify Cam’s statement saying they finally started making changes that the older guys wanted to see, which is what led me to the Torts thought.

Just a thought from a neighborhood Torts basher.

Veteran players: "It's gotten kinda stale here, boss."

Boss: "I'll fix that!"

Veteran players: "..."

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
When the news broke that Torts wasn't coming back, they also said he didn't want to be here this year. They said Foligno met with and begged him to come back for one more year. I really wish that hadn't happened. Torts was checked out, PLD was on the move, Seth was making up his mind to go grab the big contract - that was a very important time & everything seemed to go south right at the same time.

Upgrade the facilities.. sure they should be world class & on par with the Crew - more importantly continue to lock in great drafts 2021(Winner) 2022 & 2023 critically important. There is light at the end of the tunnel, you just need to fight your way through it. The fans will support a rebuild, what choice do they have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad