Former Maple Leafs GM Burke on how Dion Phaneuf trade came together

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The team you left behind was even worse.
Assuming Burke is never fired and the same events happen like Toronto making the playoffs in 2013 during the 48 game schedule and blowing that 4-1 lead in Game 7, does Burke still trade for Jonathan Bernier after that or sign David Clarkson? I guess the biggest question is if he's in charge at the 2014 draft and they are still selecting 8th overall, I guess it's safe to assume he passes on William Nylander and selects Nick Ritchie instead.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It all definitely changed the look of the team, if really only that. A number of players either coming to, or leaving, the organization. Unfortunately, no playoffs during Burke's tenure. Of these moves, Phaneuf was on the team that later made the playoffs during the shortened season though.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The team you left behind was even worse.

Ehhhh... no. Not here to defend Burke, but the organization was farther ahead when he left than when he arrived.

When he got here, our only assets of any value were Stajan, Antropov and Ponikarovsky. When he left, we had Rielly, JVR, Kadri, and probably some other guys I'm forgetting that were better than the first 3 names.

I mean, he should have done a rebuild as soon as he got here, so everything after that was dumb in terms of the big picture, but we were basically in the same spot, but with more assets, by the time he was done.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The most hilarious part of that interview is him asking Wilson if we needed a goalie and him saying "No, Toskala is good enough".

Burke goes "Obviously he was wrong that's why I traded for Giguerer, I couldn't stand watching Toskala anymore".

Burke was all of us on that day.
I think Toskala will be go down as the worst Goalie to ever play for the Maple Leafs.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Ehhhh... no. Not here to defend Burke, but the organization was farther ahead when he left than when he arrived.

When he got here, our only assets of any value were Stajan, Antropov and Ponikarovsky. When he left, we had Rielly, JVR, Kadri, and probably some other guys I'm forgetting that were better than the first 3 names.

I mean, he should have done a rebuild as soon as he got here, so everything after that was dumb in terms of the big picture, but we were basically in the same spot, but with more assets, by the time he was done.
He cost us 3 high picks.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure about that lol. Maybe as a starter I'll give you that. I imagine if we were forced to start Sparks for 50+ games you'd have a different answer lol
I should have said their worst Goaltender who was a #1 starter. You would be right about Sparks, however at least he was only their #2 backup Goaltender.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Assuming Burke is never fired and the same events happen like Toronto making the playoffs in 2013 during the 48 game schedule and blowing that 4-1 lead in Game 7, does Burke still trade for Jonathan Bernier after that or sign David Clarkson? I guess the biggest question is if he's in charge at the 2014 draft and they are still selecting 8th overall, I guess it's safe to assume he passes on William Nylander and selects Nick Ritchie instead.
No, he would have drafted Pasta.
Honestly, I think he might trade up and drafted Sam Reinheart.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Burke pretty much got Dion, JVR and Bozak for nothing via trade or Colleage signings.
He did horrible on the Phil trade, there is no doubt about it.
He was the best person for the job at that time, but his gambles didn’t work out.
I think his best trade as the GM was getting JVR for Luke Schenn because he had a bigger impact and he was on the Leafs teams in the playoffs in 2017 and 2018.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I can't see that happening because why would Buffalo have agreed to trade Toronto the 2nd overall pick since they both play in the same division.
He might throw Reilly and the pick in the mix, lol.
Point I am trying to make is that he will most likely trade that pick either to trade up or for a roster player.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He might throw Reilly and the pick in the mix, lol.
Point I am trying to make is that he will most likely trade that pick either to trade up or for a roster player.
Who knows what would have happened, however I think things turned out a lot better with Brendan Shanahan and all the things he's done since he was hired as the Leafs President.

Reactions: Ciao

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
The tweet is misleading, Burke said "I didn't like the team we inherited here" when referring to why he made the JS Giguere trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad