News Article: Former Canucks enforcer tweets about 'insane' amount of Toradol and Ambien he was given in NHL

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Are we the bad guys ?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...adol-and-ambien-he-was-given-in-nhl-1.6199507

I don't know anything here, but the Canucks have really tried to promote mental health over the years, good on them for that, what about substance abuse? Just asking forum members humble opions.

Other srticles :

Former Canuck Ryan Kesler opens up about the problem of painkillers in the NHL in TSN report - Vancouver Is Awesome (Kesler famously played through serious injuries in the 2011 playoffs. Already suspected to have a leg injury in his dominant series against the Nashville Predators, he suffered a groin tear and hip labrum tear in Game 5 of the Western Conference Final against the San Jose Sharks. He didn’t miss a game.)

Zack Kassian candidly details his battle with substance abuse (“I struck out with Buffalo, Vancouver didn’t want me, my last chance was in Montreal and I screwed that one up before the season even started. That was really a turning point and right then and there I knew something was wrong and I had to get better and I surrendered. That day changed my life.”)

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pro athletes being pumped full of drugs to ensure the best on ice product, short term?

Yes. We are the bad guys. We're not the only ones, but we, fans (for allowing this, and Really for patronizing this league and industry) and the Canucks organization, are the bad guys here.

Can anyone say their surprised though? A story like this comes out every few years, and nothing changes.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
imo, willie and benning’s treatment of kassian, while total bullshit, was a totally different kind of total bullshit than how AV and his staff treated sestito, kes, and who knows how many others

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Not to discredit Sestito, but he has been quite outspoken in general about a variety of topics (and I am not exclusively referring to his political views; that's a whole different thing). Granted NHL doctors have long been notorious for prioritizing the team above the health of the players themselves, but Sestito may also be hoping on the bandwagon here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not to discredit Sestito, but he has been quite outspoken in general about a variety of topics (and I am not exclusively referring to his political views; that's a whole different thing). Granted NHL doctors have long been notorious for prioritizing the team above the health of the players themselves, but Sestito may also be hoping on the bandwagon here.
Didn't Ryan Kesler make some of the same claims? And reported that he had developed Crohn's disease or some other type of chronic bowel disease as a result?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I posted this in the Ex-Canuck thread and totally agree that more attention should be brought to stories like this. It’s a serious problem in the NHL and NFL

Reactions: Ginger Papa

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
When people talk about systemic issues in other contexts, this may be a very illustrative example

On one hand you have the players who grew up in a culture of compliance and doing everything they can for the benefit of the team. most of them are also solely focused on hockey their whole lives and don't have much insight into other realms.

When a person in authority (coach, doctor) tells you to do something, you do it. block a shot, wear a suit, take a pill. getting a second opinion, if you even think to do that, could get you a bad reputation (cody hodgson). This is across the board in the sport and not isolated to any one organization, city, fan base, etc.

It's also not just enforcers like sestito; we literally glorify the hell out of henrik sedin, the purest human on earth, because one time instead of missing hockey games to undergo surgery he chose to f***ing amputate part of his finger!!!! if doctors had told him instead that he should be taking high doses of some opiod instead of *amputation*, maybe that's an entirely different, darker story in line with the others in this thread.

On the other hand, you have the guys who grew up in the position above, now in the positions of power (coach, manager) who have essentially been bred to believe that the only way they can do their job (win hockey games) is by finding individuals willing to sacrifice their own wellbeing for the good of the team.

If i'm henrik sedin and some kid like olli juolevi is coming to me saying he shouldn't be waived because he's got an injury that was cleared by the team doctor that he thinks needs a second opinion... man, idk. that's not even getting into the off ice activities of the players that these guys cover up on a regular basis. again, all for the good of the team. (this is not an endorsement of that line of thinking)

The doctors, trainers... pill pushing is bad. but probably not uncommon. in sports medicine your job is to get the athlete back into action, not to ensure their long term wellness. look at the eichel disagreement. how many doctors out there would leap at the opportunity to work on an nhl staff? they're probably pretty replaceable if they don't tow the company line.

Add some scummy slumlord billionaire owners wanting to win at all costs (with a track record of having no regard for labour issues across numerous businesses) at the top leading the way, and yeah, you can see how without any individual bad faith actors (except the owner), you still get to some tremendously shitty outcomes. throw in bad faith actors and now you have the chicago blackhawks.

All that said, if anyone associated with the canucks, past or present - gillis, av, torts, benning, willie, linden, sedins, etc. - are found to be more egregiously negiligent about this stuff than the average, f*** em. no room for this stuff in sports going forward.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Nearly all teams operate like this. Yes, we are the baddies. Professional sports are the baddies. Professional sports facilitate a culture revolving around sacrificing your well-being for the club, and if you speak out, you're blacklisted.

Kudos to the Pittsburgh organization for having some semblance of character and helping Sestito get off the drugs.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Fans expect hard hitting, heavy forechecking play and don't think it's going to cause physical damage that requires pharmaceuticals?

We want it. The players pay for it. The compromise is the salary. Thats the reality of the situation.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If i'm henrik sedin and some kid like olli juolevi is coming to me saying he shouldn't be waived because he's got an injury that was cleared by the team doctor that he thinks needs a second opinion... man, idk.

i think one of the reasons those late 90s flyers never won is exactly this. bobby clarke just could not comprehend eric lindros. and it's not hard to see why, it's like, i'm bobby f***ing clarke, two stanley cups, multiple time MVP, summit series, and i did it as a tiny diabetic kid from the mines. who the f*** are you, giant supertalented rich kid daddy's boy with every advantage, asking for a second opinion?

and of course bobby clarke's doctors lost a million dollar lawsuit to dave babych for shooting him up with painkillers and making him play on a broken foot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think one of the reasons those late 90s flyers never won is exactly this. bobby clarke just could not comprehend eric lindros. and it's not hard to see why, it's like, i'm bobby f***ing clarke, two stanley cups, multiple time MVP, summit series, and i did it as a tiny diabetic kid from the mines. who the f*** are you, giant supertalented rich kid daddy's boy with every advantage, asking for a second opinion?

and of course bobby clarke's doctors lost a million dollar lawsuit to dave babych for shooting him up with painkillers and making him play on a broken foot.

The Flyers have had this culture forever. Don't forget Mike Richards losing the plot on painkillers as well.

Reactions: Vector

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The Flyers have had this culture forever. Don't forget Mike Richards losing the plot on painkillers as well.

oh yeah definitely. they certainly did not learn anything from the lindros almost dying situation and babych lawsuit

Reactions: Vector

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I “Liked” your Post as I appreciate you bringing the information to us. Thank you @platotld. Love him, hate him or otherwise, I’m glad Robin Lehner has brought this situation to light again as well.

When people talk about systemic issues in other contexts, this may be a very illustrative example

On one hand you have the players who grew up in a culture of compliance and doing everything they can for the benefit of the team. most of them are also solely focused on hockey their whole lives and don't have much insight into other realms.

When a person in authority (coach, doctor) tells you to do something, you do it. block a shot, wear a suit, take a pill. getting a second opinion, if you even think to do that, could get you a bad reputation (cody hodgson). This is across the board in the sport and not isolated to any one organization, city, fan base, etc.

It's also not just enforcers like sestito; we literally glorify the hell out of henrik sedin, the purest human on earth, because one time instead of missing hockey games to undergo surgery he chose to f***ing amputate part of his finger!!!! if doctors had told him instead that he should be taking high doses of some opiod instead of *amputation*, maybe that's an entirely different, darker story in line with the others in this thread.

On the other hand, you have the guys who grew up in the position above, now in the positions of power (coach, manager) who have essentially been bred to believe that the only way they can do their job (win hockey games) is by finding individuals willing to sacrifice their own wellbeing for the good of the team.

If i'm henrik sedin and some kid like olli juolevi is coming to me saying he shouldn't be waived because he's got an injury that was cleared by the team doctor that he thinks needs a second opinion... man, idk. that's not even getting into the off ice activities of the players that these guys cover up on a regular basis. again, all for the good of the team. (this is not an endorsement of that line of thinking)

The doctors, trainers... pill pushing is bad. but probably not uncommon. in sports medicine your job is to get the athlete back into action, not to ensure their long term wellness. look at the eichel disagreement. how many doctors out there would leap at the opportunity to work on an nhl staff? they're probably pretty replaceable if they don't tow the company line.

Add some scummy slumlord billionaire owners wanting to win at all costs (with a track record of having no regard for labour issues across numerous businesses) at the top leading the way, and yeah, you can see how without any individual bad faith actors (except the owner), you still get to some tremendously shitty outcomes. throw in bad faith actors and now you have the chicago blackhawks.

All that said, if anyone associated with the canucks, past or present - gillis, av, torts, benning, willie, linden, sedins, etc. - are found to be more egregiously negiligent about this stuff than the average, f*** em. no room for this stuff in sports going forward.

This was really powerful, thank you for sharing your thoughts VCL.
4BF5F32A-4721-4AF1-9B5C-00D563278C7F.gif

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
^Last year I bought the streaming service to see all out of market games.

This year I'm a pirate. So yes.

It is tremendously easy to watch the NHL without giving them a dime. The impetus for me was the reffing scandal of having a ref caught on ice talking about wanting a penalty.

The ongoing issues of team conduct and abuses of power seem to be pretty pervasive throughout the NHL and only serve to reinforce that decision.

Finally, I don't think the NHL intends to change. Their clearest message to me being appointing George Parros as the director of player safety. This is a player whose career highlights are all fights. He's probably thrown more punches than shots on net - let him be the judge of what is acceptable behavior in hockey.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
^Last year I bought the streaming service to see all out of market games.

This year I'm a pirate. So yes.

It is tremendously easy to watch the NHL without giving them a dime. The impetus for me was the reffing scandal of having a ref caught on ice talking about wanting a penalty.

The ongoing issues of team conduct and abuses of power seem to be pretty pervasive throughout the NHL and only serve to reinforce that decision.

Finally, I don't think the NHL intends to change. Their clearest message to me being appointing George Parros as the director of player safety. This is a player whose career highlights are all fights. He's probably thrown more punches than shots on net - let him be the judge of what is acceptable behavior in hockey.
People don't realize a) how replaceable most professional athletes are to their teams and b) how difficult it is to choose any course of action that might destroy a lifelong dream. Half of any NHL roster can't be sure they'll be in the league in two years. The guys speaking up are either have job security or are near the end of their careers anyway with lots of money and/or fully vested pensions.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I mean pirating content certainly affects the bottom line but it is a realtively easy issue for the NHL et al to address through the legal system.

Nevermind that even when pirating you are still engaged.

Its time to be honest.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
People don't realize a) how replaceable most professional athletes are to their teams and b) how difficult it is to choose any course of action that might destroy a lifelong dream. Half of any NHL roster can't be sure they'll be in the league in two years. The guys speaking up are either have job security or are near the end of their careers anyway with lots of money and/or fully vested pensions.
True. Nfl has a saying that “your greatest ability is your availability”.

Jimmy G of SF has missed so many starts in his mid to late 20’s, 5 seasons, while Brady has missed no starts due to injury since his early 30’s when he tore his acl in 2008 which is now at like 13 years.

Jimmy now carries the stigma of injury prone.

I mean what do posters here think of Sutter? Injury prone right? But for him, he’s made enough to not risk his health taking pills. But if this was Someone who had not yet made that money, could see that player taking pills or whatever to get back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad