Kings Article: Former AEG CEO and LA Kings Governor Tim Leiweke Interviewed by Los Angeles Magazine

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
he tried to mend the fence, only to re-insert his foot. nice try Tim, but all you did was insult Kings fans in a different way. *** jackal

Captain Mittens*

**** you Tim.

Stay in Toronto. You lost all your L.A. privileges.

1269845899662.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The only thing Leiweke got right was leaving Lombardi alone, and staying out of player personnel decisions. Thank you Tim, that was good enough. Enjoy the winters in Toronto.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Who cares what some guy who works for the Leafs says about the Kings? LA is not a hockey city. The Kings fans are great and loyal. More people in LA are Raiders fans than Kings fans. It is easy being a Leafs fan in Toronto. If you go to work and say " Did you see the game?" You dont get "yeah Kobe was great" Being a fan of hockey in LA takes more dedication. Being a fan of the Leafs is like being a Laker fan in LA. Easy no dedication needed

Ron*

What an asshat.

"The Leafs are the most important franchise in the National Hockey League."

Really, Tim?

He failed badly in his "make-up" interview. And Giselle is a soft-soap peddler. She didn't even get close to pushing him on his miserable relationship with Uncle Phil.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
What an asshat.

"The Leafs are the most important franchise in the National Hockey League."

Really, Tim?

He failed badly in his "make-up" interview. And Giselle is a soft-soap peddler. She didn't even get close to pushing him on his miserable relationship with Uncle Phil.

Not very sure why his statement is so disagreeable. The Canadian teams are the most important franchises in the NHL, and the Leafs, whether you like it or not, are one of, if not the biggest franchises in Canada. Obviously that gap is shrinking, especially in the Canadian Markets in my opinion, but if you ask any young sportscaster growing up in Canada where they would want to work/report, it would be the Toronto Maple Leafs. Really difficult, in my opinion, to say what he said was wrong, when in fact it is probably the truth.

The Kings have a strong fan base, with a very strong core group of fans. It still does not compare to what Ice Hockey means to Canadian Culture nationwide. That will never change. Ice Hockey is bigger in Canada than Football is in the United States. The Prime Minister of Canada openly advocates for positions he feels is in the best interest of the sport. A young player playing hockey is on the national currency, the 5 dollar bill! Canada is where hockey lives, no question about it, don't really have any qualms about Tim pointing that out publicly.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Not very sure why his statement is so disagreeable. The Canadian teams are the most important franchises in the NHL, and the Leafs, whether you like it or not, are one of, if not the biggest franchises in Canada. Obviously that gap is shrinking, especially in the Canadian Markets in my opinion, but if you ask any young sportscaster growing up in Canada where they would want to work/report, it would be the Toronto Maple Leafs. Really difficult, in my opinion, to say what he said was wrong, when in fact it is probably the truth.

The Kings have a strong fan base, with a very strong core group of fans. It still does not compare to what Ice Hockey means to Canadian Culture nationwide. That will never change. Ice Hockey is bigger in Canada than Football is in the United States. The Prime Minister of Canada openly advocates for positions he feels is in the best interest of the sport. A young player playing hockey is on the national currency, the 5 dollar bill! Canada is where hockey lives, no question about it, don't really have any qualms about Tim pointing that out publicly.

Exactly. A lot of Kings fan are overly sensitive.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
It's not that his statement is wrong, it's that he reeks of corporate douchenozzle.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Personally he reminds me of the corporate axe man that came to our aerospace machine shop back in the 80's, he of course denied any hatchet work coming and then 'TRANSFERRED " managers to Arizona the new home of aerospace in America because of their laws. After repeatedly lying about one thing after another we had a employee meeting where as shop steward I asked him directly if the rumors of an upcoming layoff in TWO weeks was true and he responded that there was ABSOLUTELY no truth in that rumor, f course the layoff was three weeks later, they lie naturally and have just enough truth in what they say to look you in the eye when they do it............I retired my lie-weekly avatar when we won the cup since he did have a part in it, but an more BS and we are back to rocking it lol

PS all the managers and employees that moved to AZ to help start that company after they transferred 98% of the work there were terminated within the first 18 months , mostly due to the lower pay rates they could get from local people , got to love corporations

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Can't add much to this. And to the person who told him to enjoy the winter in Toronto, it can't come soon enough, I am sick of hot weather!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Can't add much to this. And to the person who told him to enjoy the winter in Toronto, it can't come soon enough, I am sick of hot weather!

I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona. You folks in Toronto don't know about hot weather. :)

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
It's not that his statement is wrong, it's that he reeks of corporate douchenozzle.

Exactly. He knows what to say to get Kings fans upset and it works. We all know Hockey is Canada..blahblahblah. You just have to be the biggest asshat to repeat it.

Who cares what some guy who works for the Leafs says about the Kings? LA is not a hockey city. The Kings fans are great and loyal. More people in LA are Raiders fans than Kings fans. It is easy being a Leafs fan in Toronto. If you go to work and say " Did you see the game?" You dont get "yeah Kobe was great" Being a fan of hockey in LA takes more dedication. Being a fan of the Leafs is like being a Laker fan in LA. Easy no dedication needed

:handclap:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I really hate how people in the hockey world say things like "ONE THIRD of Canada watched this game" as if it's some feat of fandom demographic conquest. The population of Canada barely matches that of southern California. Saying "one third of Canada" watched a hockey game is like saying "one third of southern California watched the Lakers game", but no one bats an eye at that in America.

I get the whole "it's our culture!!!" rhetoric, but it's a lot easier to have a solidified culture when your population is barely the size of a major metropolitan area in the US. But stuff like that is constantly thrown around like it actually means something other than "there aren't a lot of people in Canada...a lot of them watch hockey."

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
The only thing Leiweke got right was leaving Lombardi alone, and staying out of player personnel decisions. Thank you Tim, that was good enough. Enjoy the winters in Toronto.

Actually it is nearly the exact opposite. Had he not forced Lombardi to fire TM not only would there be no Stanley Cup -- DL would be long gone.

Ron*

The population in Canada is almost 35 million souls. Reference:

https://www.google.com/search?q=population+in+canada

Therefore, a third* of the population represents about 11.3 million souls. Of course, that entire "third" are not all Leafs fans. You have Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Ottawa as well. So how die-hard Leafs fans are there of that 11.3 million, really?

How many Kings fans are there, not only in Los Angeles, but also throughout the league?

You begin to get my drift. No, Toronto is not the most important team in the league. Not by a long shot.

*There is no empirical data for this contention.

This simply is not true. There are 300 million souls in the United States, almost ten times as many as Canada. Of course football, by its sheer numbers, is far bigger than ice hockey in Canada.

By the way, the NFL has gotten along just fine without a team in the second largest city on the continent.

Ron*

Exactly. A lot of Kings fan are overly sensitive.

Think so?

After this POS trashes the city and its fans just because he has a change of venue?

By the way, why do you have a Ducks' player in your avatar?

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
The population in Canada is almost 35 million souls. Reference:

https://www.google.com/search?q=population+in+canada

Therefore, a third* of the population represents about 11.3 million souls. Of course, that entire "third" are not all Leafs fans. You have Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Ottawa as well. So how die-hard Leafs fans are there of that 11.3 million, really?

How many Kings fans are there, not only in Los Angeles, but also throughout the league?

You begin to get my drift. No, Toronto is not the most important team in the league. Not by a long shot.

*There is no empirical data for this contention.

This simply is not true. There are 300 million souls in the United States, almost ten times as many as Canada. Of course football, by its sheer numbers, is far bigger than ice hockey in Canada.

By the way, the NFL has gotten along just fine without a team in the second largest city on the continent.

The Leafs have the highest franchise value in the NHL. They are also the most profitable, playing in the biggest market in Canada. They have won the second most Stanley Cups, and are an original "6" franchise. The point is, they are very important to the league.

While the NFL may have more people watching/following because of a higher overall population, it is nowhere near as important culturally, as hockey is to Canada. Now, perhaps you are not aware of this as you have not lived there. There are multiple leagues showcasing 15-19 year old kids that have individual franchise values into the millions of dollars. They play in 10,000, even 15,000 seat rinks. When the Canadian mens team returned from the Soviet Union after winning the Summit Series, they were greeted by the Prime Minister of Canada, Pierre Trudeau, AT THE AIRPORT. I do not think the NFL/NHL comparison is a legitimate one to make. I will kick rocks if I ever see a football on a bill of US currency. Somehow I do not think that will be happening anytime soon.

Please spare me any attempt of delegitimizing what I have to say by preaching about my irrational, and over the top support of Canadian culture. This is a response to many of your assertions that I see as clearly being false.

Ron*

The Leafs have the highest franchise value in the NHL. They are also the most profitable, playing in the biggest market in Canada. They have won the second most Stanley Cups, and are an original "6" franchise. The point is, they are very important to the league.

They haven't won in 46 years. Many of those years they have been a laughingstock. Their overall value and profit margin has nothing to do with quality hockey. If people choose to shell out ridiculous sums of money to see a perennial loser, then that is their choice. See: Chicago Cubs.

While the NFL may have more people watching/following because of a higher overall population, it is nowhere near as important culturally, as hockey is to Canada. Now, perhaps you are not aware of this as you have not lived there. There are multiple leagues showcasing 15-19 year old kids that have individual franchise values into the millions of dollars. They play in 10,000, even 15,000 seat rinks. When the Canadian mens team returned from the Soviet Union after winning the Summit Series, they were greeted by the Prime Minister of Canada, Pierre Trudeau, AT THE AIRPORT. I do not think the NFL/NHL comparison is a legitimate one to make. I will kick rocks if I ever see a football on a bill of US currency. Somehow I do not think that will be happening anytime soon.

Please spare me any attempt of delegitimizing what I have to say by preaching about my irrational, and over the top support of Canadian culture. This is a response to many of your assertions that I see as clearly being false.

I never made any such claims. You must have me confused with someone else. However, it is obvious that you believe it yourself, since its on your mind enough to make a bold statement about it. Perhaps you even believe it to be true. I really don't care. The bottom line is you are making the Leafs out to be much more important to the league than they really are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad