WJC: Format Change Ruined the Round Robin

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I didn't say it was a failure , just that I liked old format better...As for the rest? if team also ran doesn't like losing to Team Canada ( think they'd be used to it by now ;) ) play better...and since turn about seems like fair play...don't expect sympathy from a Canuck :D

Yeah, yeah. I get what you're saying. I think we Canadians look at this tournament from our own narrow viewpoint. The lower-level teams are an inconvenience, a stumbling block to get through.

As I've said, the tournament is hugely important to the development of the sport in the middling-ranked teams. In the long run, if we want more than six teams to be competitive every year, we have to make it meaningful for more than just those top six. It wasn't that long ago that the Swiss, for example, were cannon fodder. They've come along and are formidable. Maybe they're not world beaters, but dangerous nonetheless.

Those middling teams will never get better if they spend their time only playing each other. They need to face off against the elite or they will never be more than middling. And it will be 20 more years of six teams playing for medals and two teams being elevator teams every bloody year.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It's been only 5 teams for almost 15 years. The thing is Hockey Canada at the moment is using this event as a money grab and don't care one bit about growing the game. So the current format and the current prices accomplish nothing.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
It's been only 5 teams for almost 15 years. The thing is Hockey Canada at the moment is using this event as a money grab and don't care one bit about growing the game. So the current format and the current prices accomplish nothing.

It's fashionable to blame Hockey Canada for the problems with the IIHF, and the fact that our federation has such a hold on the tournament because we're the only one who can reliably monetize the thing lends some credence to that, but it's still the IIHF's tournament, and the IIHF also benefits financially. And Canada has only one vote, so whenever the international community wants to get up on its hind legs and exert some influence, it does.

I suspect that if it was up to Hockey Canada, this would be an eight-team tournament, and I'd bet that any move to expand to 12 would be most vigorously challenged by Canada, because that would mean the private businesses who supply the players would be missing their stars for an additional three or four days.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Getting a bye from the quarterfinals was stupid. Good thing that is over.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Anyway one thing is for sure the current format is probably the worst possible. And asking the prices they are for meaningless round robin games is incredibly stupid. Not many kids or teams of kids can go to those games.

The best format was the first one they had 70's 80's 90's the second best was the one they had starting in the late 90's with the bye, the worst one is by far this one... Blowouts and meaningless games galore.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Anyway one thing is for sure the current format is probably the worst possible. And asking the prices they are for meaningless round robin games is incredibly stupid. Not many kids or teams of kids can go to those games.

The best format was the first one they had 70's 80's 90's the second best was the one they had starting in the late 90's with the bye, the worst one is by far this one... Blowouts and meaningless games galore.

We will just have to agree to disagree. The round robin will have blowouts and meaningless games in either format. The current is best.;)

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
For those that are asking for the old 8 game round robin to return, there are a few things about it that you need to consider:

1) Teams have won the gold while in their locker rooms. You are not just dependant on your own game, but one that happens in another rink with other teams.

2) Those final day games often happen at the same time to minimize teams knowing the outcome at the other venue (as well as to decrease the chances of my first point). Compare that to the current setup where all games timed are staggered, allowing you to watch them all. As someone who loves to actually watch these games, this current system is way better..

3) Canada not only won a WJC in the locker room, but when they did wn a tourney on the ice, it was a game against their dreaded foe... Japan. Though the worst teams in the tourney are better now than they were then, do you still want to see that Canada/Latvia match-up from yesterday be for a gold medal?

4) The gold can be essentially determined on the first day of the tournament. In 1993 the two best teams met on the first day. The team that won that game essentially has their hardest game out of the way by game two! That's only an issue when you have two teams that are head and shoulders above the rest, which is much less likely now, but theoretically still possible.

This is all really a moot discussion anyway. The IIHF is simply NOT going to go back to that system. You want the certainty of a gold medal game for your TV viewership. In fact all knockout games are scheduled to be knockout games. That's not how it worked with the round robin.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The most popular league in the world the English Premier League doesn't have playoffs. Every game matters, and the former format had that= Every game counts and you were sure the best team had the gold and you were sure you played each teams once.

The current format is totally useless.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The most popular league in the world the English Premier League doesn't have playoffs. Every game matters, and the former format had that= Every game counts and you were sure the best team had the gold and you were sure you played each teams once.

The current format is totally useless.

It is a stretch to compare the August to May Premier League to a very short tourney.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
What you gave as examples were rare exceptions. Lots and lots of times the vast majority of times it came down to the last day. And what better format to be sure the best team won and it all depends on themselves. 7 games if you have the best total of pts you are the best= Gold = perfect format.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Now we have 25% of games that mean something, then we had 100% of games that mattered and we were sure you at least played every big opponents EACH year.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fully agreed. The round robin has become meaningless for the countries with a legit chance to win. The bye was something that made these games important. Now they are meaningless until the QF. It's like an extended exhibition schedule used to build chemistry until the elimination games start.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
What you gave as examples were rare exceptions. Lots and lots of times the vast majority of times it came down to the last day. And what better format to be sure the best team won and it all depends on themselves. 7 games if you have the best total of pts you are the best= Gold = perfect format.

I don't disagree that those examples I listed were exceptions. However there were still multiple examples. A gold medal game is 100% effective at determining an outcome at a pre-scheduled time. That isn't going to change, so quit arguing for the original round robin. The question at hand is whether the top teams in each group should get a bye or whether we put in 8 teams and everyone gets a quarterfinal.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
I prefer the old format too (the one few years ago, as explained in OP). Not only made group stage games more important it seemed to fit better U20 since fewer teams than in ment's tournaments have a legit chance.

ps. I have also never liked why schedule semis and gold medal game on consecutive days. What ****ing difference one additional day make? (It is even more stupid in men's tournament when the schedule is extremely relaxed and is almost 2½ weeks in total...) This increases the chance of a tired team(s) and it is unfair for the team that has to play the later semi #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad