Forever the Optimist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habber

May 31, 2002
Saskatoon, Sask.
Visit site
This thread is for all the optimists like myself that, besides what my best judgment tells me, still believe there will be a season this year. Even though we’re being barraged with negativity and the majority in the media seem to have written the year off, there’s still some signs that point to a deal getting done.

The NHL’s stance has all been about linkage lately. Their spin right now is that they aren’t really concerned with a cap, they just want their cost certainty where salaries are a percentage of revenue. The players, as we’ve heard a million times, will never agree to linkage. But as recently as a month or two ago, they were also dead-set against a cap of any sorts. It seems that lately their stance has softened and we’re hearing a cap can be a solution under the right circumstances.

So the middle ground is a cap, but not one linked to revenues as the NHL is proposing. It’s a compromise of sorts and it lets both sides save face. The owners give up linkage, the players agree to a cap, and we get hockey.

Think about it, you’ve got players coming out in the media saying a cap would work. A month ago if a player had said that, two hours later they’d get a phone call from Mr. Goodenow and issue a retraction, that hasn’t happened lately. Which leads me to believe that players are ready to accept one. The only issue is, will the league accept a cap without linkage, and IMO they’d be damn stupid not to.

I believe the talks the last few days have been sorting out the little details, so that when they finally come to this agreement, they’ll be ready to go pronto. If they really were as far apart as they have us believe, they wouldn’t be talking and the season would have been called off two weeks ago. But in my eyes, they’re getting closer and closer, and by this time next week, players will be flying in to attend training camp and I’ll be saying I told you so.

Last edited:

longtime listener

Nov 18, 2003
Up until today I was almost 100% certain they'd work this out. I guess I put too much stock into today's events bringing resolution because now I'm only allowing myself cautious optimism. But optimism nonetheless. I too think the players seem ready to accept a cap, the owners may give up on certainty if they do and today may have just been Goodenow calling Bettman's bluff on cancelling the season. A lot of "if's" but its better than giving up I suppose. Hopefully those negotiating this thing feel the same.

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
I am with you! I am still optimistic. I am not so unrealistic as to be stunned if they do cancel the season, but it is not over until the fat lady sings! I honestly believe that there has to be a reason that they have not cancelled the season yet. The continued draging out of the whole situation is alienating more fans than if they had cancelled the season a month ago. Both sides are smart enough to realise this and they also realize that the game of hockey may never recover from an extended lockout. Both sides have way too much at stake.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
jpsharkfan said:
I am with you! I am still optimistic. I am not so unrealistic as to be stunned if they do cancel the season, but it is not over until the fat lady sings! I honestly believe that there has to be a reason that they have not cancelled the season yet. The continued draging out of the whole situation is alienating more fans than if they had cancelled the season a month ago. Both sides are smart enough to realise this and they also realize that the game of hockey may never recover from an extended lockout. Both sides have way too much at stake.

She's warming up! :nopity:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't know what to think anymore.

One part of me thinks that there will be at least another week of negotiations, with the final deadline for a breakthrough by February 14.

The other part of me thinks that this is over. The season is a pipe dream.

And a very small part of me is completely indifferent to the whole situation.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Cloned said:
One part of me thinks that there will be at least another week of negotiations, with the final deadline for a breakthrough by February 14.

They aren't going to come out and cancel the season on Monday. They will at least negotiate this next week. February 14th is a likely deadline day.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
McDonald19 said:
They aren't going to come out and cancel the season on Monday. They will at least negotiate this next week. February 14th is a likely deadline day.

Better not be the 14th or my gf would be pissed if I was annoyed all day because they officially cancelled the NHL season. Probably would be better to wait one more day till Valentines Day is over

X0ssbar

Cloned said:

I posted this in another thread as well but according to our favorite blogger - he is in agreement with you - deadline is Feb 14th with a start date to a 30 game season being March 1st.

NOTE: for all you blogger haters this post will self-distruct in 1 click ;)

Gary

longtime listener said:
Up until today I was almost 100% certain they'd work this out. I guess I put too much stock into today's events bringing resolution because now I'm only allowing myself cautious optimism. But optimism nonetheless. I too think the players seem ready to accept a cap, the owners may give up on certainty if they do and today may have just been Goodenow calling Bettman's bluff on cancelling the season. A lot of "if's" but its better than giving up I suppose. Hopefully those negotiating this thing feel the same.

Excellent point-Goodenow calling Bettmans Bluff 101-That's what this whole mess boils down to right now IMO...Goodenow has (a COUPLE) times-once through Linden, and the last time, make it appear as though the NHL season was over-NO REASON FOR OPTIMISM-yada yada...and the NHL on the other hand came out and said BOTH times something along the lines of "There are still PHILOSOPHICAL difference BUT PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE". Think about that for a moment...If there are HUGE philosophical differences then how the hell can progress be made??? I think the PROGRESS that's been made is the owners continuing to stand firm in light of what the NHLPA thinks personally...TWICE Bob tried to get the owners to fold their hands and cave in and both times-the owners basically LAUGHED at them-that's why Linden and Bob were so damn pissed off. MAYBE now the NHLPA realizes just how serious the owners are and that nothing they can do at this point will break their solidarity and hopefully inturn the players will see it's a losing battle and do what needs to be done-Get the deal signed now while you atleast have SOME leverage, and find a way to save face in the process...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad