Ford GT Crash - "Because the Driver was Unfamiliar with Driving Stick"

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
68620adb3aef2984c0070c4590b692a6

Oof! Sad to see happen to such a nice car!

As if anyone had to ask, the report specified Guarini told police he’s “unfamiliar with how to drive stick shift.” I’d say he’s unfamiliar with how to drive anything other than a Nissan Altima. Not everyone ought to have a high-powered, rear-wheel-drive car with a manual transmission. It’s too much car for a lot of drivers, even if they think it’s cool and they have the money to buy such a thing.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
People like this make me absolutely furious. Just another rich asshole that watched Ford vs Ferrari and thought he was a Le Mans champion. If you love cars you hate people like this.

The mid-2000's Ford GT is a powerful car that is unforgiving by modern standards in terms of driver aids, because they were drawing inspiration from the death trap racer original from the '60's. I can drive manual (in fact, my current car is a manual) and even I wouldn't drive this car around much on the street until I was either trained by a qualified individual or had practiced a lot in a rural setting. THE FORD GT IS NOT A CAR YOU CHOOSE TO LEARN DRIVING MANUAL ON, YOU FREAKING DUMBASS.

At his income level, he could have just ordered a current Ford GT and gotten a lightning-fast car that is highly capable on a track but with a dual-clutch.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
As a Shelby GT500 owner, I am very familiar with the risks of high powered rear wheel drive cars... especially since the Shelby has a live rear axle with a pan hard bar. It doesn't take much for the rear to jump out on you if you're not paying attention to road conditions etc when you get on it.

Obviously the Heritage Ford GT is an even bigger animal that you MUST respect.

Being "unfamiliar with driving stick", you shouldn't even THINK of getting behind the wheel of such a car! Learn properly first, understand the implications of what may happen in different situations. Don't expect it to be your full nanny controlled Lincoln MKZ. These are raw driver's cars. You must respect the power and understand what might happen in certain situations.

Even then, they can still jump out on you... but at least if you're aware of how and why, you might be able to recover it as well.

I've had my Shelby for 11 years now and I absolutely respect the power and very much understand the risks... yet even I had it jump out on me once 3 years ago. Thought I knew the road I was on real well, but the road had buckled in a new spot in the week since I was last there, didn't notice the new bump in the road. I gunned it in the same spot i had many times prior as I was changing lanes just as I had done so every time... then the rear wheels hit that bump, the rear end completely kicked out tti the right! There I am, just after entering the freeway, looking down the road directly out of my passenger side window, steering that direction but waiting for the car to hook back up before it reached the center ditch!

Steering into it, feathering the throttle trying to urge the car to hook back up, it suddenly gripped and swung back 180 degrees facing the other way, my rear tires kicking up the edge of the gravel of the center shoulder! Now i'm steering hard left looking out the driver's side window, feathering the throttle to hook up again... this time I was able to anticipate it gaining the grip and was able to sway it back into control. No harm, no foul!

Afterwards, I had a huge smile on my face, because it was FUN AS HELL to suddenly be unexpectedly white knuckling it, I love white knuckle edge of control winter driving (when a blizzard hits here, I tend to go out driving for hours, as I live the adrenaline of white knuckle driving), so this just got me into that mode instantly.

I literally said 'Wow! That was FUN! Let's not di that again!" With a huge grin on my face! :laugh:

So, yeah. Very familiar with stick, very familiar with the risks, absolutely respect the power, and if I get into a situation despite all of that, I do know how to react to overcome such loss of control.

This guy on the other hand... goes down into "Florida man" lore as so many before him. Go figure.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Jesus Christ this pisses me off even more AND IT WAS EVEN IN THE FREAKING COLOR I LOVE!!!

I am a Ferrari guy. Reading car magazines in the 90's, and oogling most of all over the Ferraris, is what got me into automobiles in the first place. I am approximately 75% Italian by ancestry and feel an emotional connection to this brand far more than any other. Seeing one of the best and most beautiful Ferraris of all time crashed by driver error...hurts me in my soul.

For those unaware, the 458 is a gorgeous car with a screaming, naturally aspirated mid-engine V8. While the steering is quite sensitive, the car does NOT generate Ford GT power off idle. It's an engine designed to be revved to at/near redline, and this baby howls like a whore in church. The dual-clutch tranny is fabulous and feels like you're cocking a shotgun when shifting. The engine doesn't sound quite as clean as the Lexus LFA (no road-car engine does) but has an extra, primal anger component that speaks to me. I'm not going to talk about anything other than the styling, engine and transmission because if you care about those things you are NOT the target buyer for this car. In short, despite the sensitive steering this is an easier car to drive than the mid-2000's Ford GT by a significant margin, and anyone that crashes it immediately is an idiot that doesn't deserve to even sit in this brilliant piece of automotive history. If you are not immaculately careful with a sports car on a wet road you don't deserve a driver's license. For all you know that thing could have summer-only, borderline-racing-slick tires on it, you don't take a Ferrari out on a wet day. What's the fun in that?

tldr I love Ferraris and I hate anyone that crashes them due to driver error.

Reactions: TaLoN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad