Confirmed with Link: Forbort 2 year extension

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
He started to gain a reputation in Minnesota and was logging 20+ mins when he was 23. He was considered to be one of their top 3 dmen, and Mitchell was also coveted at the trade deadline in 2006, before he hit the open market.

I don't see Forbort playing with the same edge as Mitchell. I feel like his temperament is closer to Scuderi, and he's solely going to be relied upon for his play in his own zone, which isn't a bad thing.

Yes, he was good in Minn but nothing special. Dmen take time. Forbort's game is much closer to Willie's then Scuderi's. True, he doesn't have that hard edge but how many do? Punishing dmen are vanishing ...

Reactions: KingTrouty

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Oof. 2.5 for forbort. Not really big fan of Forbort. Too damn slow and a turnover machine as well.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He started to gain a reputation in Minnesota and was logging 20+ mins when he was 23. He was considered to be one of their top 3 dmen, and Mitchell was also coveted at the trade deadline in 2006, before he hit the open market.

I don't see Forbort playing with the same edge as Mitchell. I feel like his temperament is closer to Scuderi, and he's solely going to be relied upon for his play in his own zone, which isn't a bad thing.

Mentality-wise I agree but Forbort is a far superior skater and puck mover to Scuderi.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Oof. 2.5 for forbort. Not really big fan of Forbort. Too damn slow and a turnover machine as well.
This post really pisses me off.

Now I’m reminded of your constant inane DL posts and remember why I disliked you.

And I don’t care if you don’t care.

Do you watch the Kings?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I should’ve. Lol

You're giving me little ammo, damnit! :)

Oh and I plan on keeping it that way. I know you. More than you'd think...

And he's actually not a turn over machine. But if we can get some No2 and strap it to his skates he'd be amazing.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Oh and I plan on keeping it that way. I know you. More than you'd think...

And he's actually not a turn over machine. But if we can get some No2 and strap it to his skates he'd be amazing.
Are we neighbors? Are you the cat lady two doors down?

No2?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Fair deal for Forbort. If it seems steep it's because it took him a while to break into the league and he's already nearing UFA. I am surprised at the length though, why not sign for longer? It's a weird term for his age. Are the Kings not sold on him long term? Do Forbort and his agent think he can cash in two years down the road? Why not take the security?

It's like one of those "prove it" contracts, just seems odd.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I'm a bit of both, don't you know?

28-jack-sparrow-quotes.gif

Or a dude, whatever, I don't judge...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sol, keep doing you, man. I see your work on other boards too and it's amazing when you're on the main board haha.

Fair deal for Forbort. If it seems steep it's because it took him a while to break into the league and he's already nearing UFA. I am surprised at the length though, why not sign for longer? It's a weird term for his age. Are the Kings not sold on him long term? Do Forbort and his agent think he can cash in two years down the road? Why not take the security?

I don't think it's that weird. It's sort of a bridge. Plus, I know it's been sort of the norm the last few years, but not everything has to be with term, you know? It's good to have staggered contracts and some roster turnover.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Sol, keep doing you, man. I see your work on other boards too and it's amazing when you're on the main board haha.

I don't think it's that weird. It's sort of a bridge. Plus, I know it's been sort of the norm the last few years, but not everything has to be with term, you know? It's good to have staggered contracts and some roster turnover.

Yea there's upside to it for sure. I guess because it's a bit out of the ordinary now it's easy to try and over-think the reasoning. Blake definitely sees these things differently than DL, which isn't a bad thing.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

I might have alzeimers because I can't remember the last thing I posted on the main boards. All I remember is my undying passion to make Machinehead know he's a peasant and his views are not based in reality.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

It's not like Forbort is absolutely irreplaceable. You can have a pylon ride shotgun with Doughty and the pylon would look like an NHL defenseman. There's a good chance this is as good as he's gonna get. Why sign a guy like Forbort for 5 or 6 years?

Forbort's a decent NHL defenseman. I hope he has a long career ahead of him as a King. Two years is just smart for the Kings. In two years, if he's pretty much the same player, then sign him again. If he leaves, just find another guy with similar skill and size.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley

You’re making me jealous, Rocky! :mad:

:)

Maybe I need to venture to the main board. I’d probably get banned in a minute or two, tho. :) Hell, it takes work to stay afloat here ;)

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
It's not like Forbort is absolutely irreplaceable. You can have a pylon ride shotgun with Doughty and the pylon would look like an NHL defenseman. There's a good chance this is as good as he's gonna get. Why sign a guy like Forbort for 5 or 6 years?

Forbort's a decent NHL defenseman. I hope he has a long career ahead of him as a King. Two years is just smart for the Kings. In two years, if he's pretty much the same player, then sign him again. If he leaves, just find another guy with similar skill and size.

Pretty much this. Blake gave a bit more money for 2-years in exchange for some flexibility down the road. You have Clague and a few others coming up in that time. In the meantime, Forbort is happy with his current rate being a bit above-market.

This signing may make a trade for either Muzzin or Martinez much more likely sooner rather than later.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think sooner.

This is what we have
Forbort/Doughty
Muzzin/Martinez
Fantenberg/Folin
MacDermid

In the AHL - LaDue and Clague (legit #1 D potential)

Voynov - some here and internally in the kings want him back.

Where are we going to play them all? There are only so many spots. It's virtually certain at least 1 maybe 3 will be gone in 1-2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad