Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
1 Steve Ballmer $22.5 Los Angeles Clippers
2 Paul Allen $17 Seattle Seahawks, Portland Trail Blazers
3 Phil Anschutz $11.1 Los Angeles Kings
4 Micky Arison $6.4 Miami Heat
5 Rich DeVos $6 Orlando Magic
6 Stephen Ross $6 Miami Dolphins
7 Stan Kroenke $5.7 Colorado Avalanche, St. Louis Rams, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Rapids, Arsenal
8 Terry Pegula $4.6 Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills
9 Shahid Khan $4.5 Jacksonville Jaguars
10 Ted Lerner $4.5 Washington Nationals

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-richest-sports-owner-225-billion-says-forbes

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...chest-owner-in-american-team-sports-by-forbes

ZeroPT*

So 3rd richest owner whims Kroenke who owns half of he sporting world and anschutz who owns an LA based team?

Dope.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
I don't understand anything that you said, except that I must be a dope

I believe he means that among NHL owners, Pegula is 3rd richest, and that he's no slouch to be behind the owner of a LA-based franchise and a sports conglomerate. Also, I believe the word 'dope' was used as a positive expression.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
1 Steve Ballmer $22.5 Los Angeles Clippers
2 Paul Allen $17 Seattle Seahawks, Portland Trail Blazers
3 Phil Anschutz $11.1 Los Angeles Kings
4 Micky Arison $6.4 Miami Heat
5 Rich DeVos $6 Orlando Magic
6 Stephen Ross $6 Miami Dolphins
7 Stan Kroenke $5.7 Colorado Avalanche, St. Louis Rams, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Rapids, Arsenal
8 Terry Pegula $4.6 Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills
9 Shahid Khan $4.5 Jacksonville Jaguars
10 Ted Lerner $4.5 Washington Nationals

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-richest-sports-owner-225-billion-says-forbes

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...chest-owner-in-american-team-sports-by-forbes

Stan Kroenke doesn't own the Avs and Nuggets because of NFL ownership restrictions against owning sports teams in different markets.

IIRC, he transferred control and ownership stakes of the Avs and Nuggets to his son so that he could buy the Rams. Stan Kroenke no longer owns or controls those other two teams.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Stan Kroenke doesn't own the Avs and Nuggets because of NFL ownership restrictions against owning sports teams in different markets.

IIRC, he transferred control and ownership stakes of the Avs and Nuggets to his son so that he could buy the Rams. Stan Kroenke no longer owns or controls those other two teams.

Yup.

In 2010, Kroenke exercised his right of first refusal to buy the remaining interest in the St. Louis Rams from the estate of late owner Georgia Frontiere. On August 25, 2010, he became full owner of the Rams by unanimous consent of the NFL. To gain approval from NFL owners, Kroenke agreed to turn over control of the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche to his son, Josh, by the end of 2010, and he must give up his majority stake in both teams by December 2014. The NFL does not allow its owners to hold majority control of major league teams in other NFL markets

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
What was Tpegs worth when he bought the team in 2011? Looks like he has roughly a billion more now, then he did when he bought the team. Pretty amazing considering what he has coughed up in construction and the Bills. Dude is going to be a permanent fixture in Buffalo.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
What was Tpegs worth when he bought the team in 2011? Looks like he has roughly a billion more now, then he did when he bought the team. Pretty amazing considering what he has coughed up in construction and the Bills. Dude is going to be a permanent fixture in Buffalo.

He sold some land for about a billion shortly before he bought the Bills. That likely had an impact.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He sold some land for about a billion shortly before he bought the Bills. That likely had an impact.

That was my first thought but I'm sure the figure is net worth, not cash. Given the vast wealth he had and what I believe is a boom in Pennsylvania with the natural gas industry (with lots of tax breaks, etc), it's possible his net worth simply jumped that much.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

The easiest way to make more money is have lots of money.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

land value and mineral rights values are hard to estimate in terms of worth.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I was just posting the article.

The NFL has a noncompete clause in ownershipthat prevents an owner of other sports teams in NFL markets to buy an NFL team in a different market.

Paul allen can own Seattle Seahawks and the Portland Trailblazzers because Portland isnt an NFL market

Thats why Jacobs couldnt be involved in the bidding of the Bills but was willing to be part of a stadium.

With Kroenke he transfered ownership of his Denver sports teams to his children.

Clock

May 13, 2006
And to think that just a few short years ago, the only ones that even knew who he was were likely affiliated with Penn State.

(full disclosure: I work for Penn State and when I started, I had no idea who Pegula was)

Completely admit that I fall into that group.

The combination of a guy who
- has lots of money
- is clearly interested in investing in not only the teams, but also the area
- is clearly into the teams for the purpose of winning instead of as a revenue-earner
- has clearly learned some lessons and is on board with maximizing potential for establishing longer-term success at the expense of short-term mediocrity

... is all ducky to me. I don't care about the perceived follies he's made so far. The direction changed fast enough that I'm good.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

- has lots of money
- is clearly into the teams for the purpose of winning instead of as a revenue-earner
- has clearly learned some lessons and is on board with maximizing potential for establishing longer-term success at the expense of short-term mediocrity

... is all ducky to me.

I didn't think that person existed until Pegula came on board. I figured we'd be stuck with a penny-pinching Sabres owner indefinitely and then eventually lose the Bills.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I've never been prouder of being a Buffalo sports fan than right now. And that's mainly because I know Pegula is going to do things the right way.....we'll get there.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

- has lots of money

... is all ducky to me. I don't care about the perceived follies he's made so far. The direction changed fast enough that I'm good.

This is why I am near shocked when people say anything short of praise for the guy. I get that he is culpable for the Sabres front office, for every negative thing you can say, I can just point to the harbor center and say "He built that. Just to help the city"

Then he not only BUYS the bills, but overpays for them to end any chance of him NOT getting them.

If you told me in 2009 that some magical billionaire was going to descend onto the city of Buffalo and solve all of their present and future financial problems of both sports teams by the virtue of him being rich as ****, i would have outright laughed. Not only that, but he was going to dump buckets of cash into redeveloping downtown Buffalo just because he wants to. Again, would have laughed.

Guy is the ****ing tooth fairy. Sure he's made some rookie mistakes, but man, he ****ing cares about the city and its fans and wants to win at all costs. That is alot more that could be said of our previous 2 (3! if you count the NHL) owners.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
While it's nice to think that Pegula purchased the Bills out of love for Buffalo and football .... the NFL is his new "gas well" that he's drilling ..

With the NFL's contract with DirecTV set to expire after this season, it was thought a new contract between the two that gives the satellite company exclusive rights to carry NFL Sunday Ticket could rise from $1 billion per year under the old contract to $1.4 billion per year in a new deal.

Try a little higher than that.

The NFL announced Wednesday that the league and DirecTV have reached an agreement on a new deal that, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell, is worth $1.5 billion per year for the next eight years.

That means the latest contract is worth $8 billion more to the NFL (over four additional years) than its last deal with DirecTV.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...deal-reportedly-worth-12-billion-over-8-years

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I feel pretty lucky that this guy owns both teams.

It's kind of amazing that if you told someone 10 years ago that there was some super rich dude out there who was going to come out of nowhere and buy both teams and try to rebuild downtown all on his own, you'd probably be in a home somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad