For the Record Books, Would the Play-Ins and Round Robin be considered Playoffs or it's own thing?

For the Record Books, Would the Play-Ins and Round Robin be considered Playoffs or it's own thing?

• Total voters

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
For example, If McDavid plays 5 Games in the Play-In Round and 10 Games in the Rest of the Playoffs, would we put it "2020 McDavid: 10 Playoff Games and 5 Play In Games" or "McDavid 15 Playoff Games".

This may be Important for Websites such as Hockey-Reference and Elite-Prospects to figure out when Figuring out Career Playoff Totals, and Also if an NHL Playoff Record is broken during Play-In Games With Help from Play-In Games.

Discuss your answer in the Replies!

-BlueBull

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
when it gets down to the 16 team format it should then count for playoff stats. Everything before that should be exhibition or regular season stats

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This is a huge sticking point for me. I agree with those hoping that the play-ins will count as regular season stats. Playoff stats should start being counted when we get to the final 16 teams and everything before that (both play-ins and round robin) should be counted as regular season statistics.

I hope that’s how they pull it off, but I can see the greedy NHL trying to force the “playoff” idea down peoples throats (especially people from the rich Chicago and Montreal markets) and entice them into thinking this is the “first round” of the playoffs, and count the play-in series stats as playoff stats, which would be viewed in a very poor light by most loyal NHL fans.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The play-in will probably not count anywhere.
Its just going to be some play-in stats.
Will have about the same significance to people than preseason stats.

Reactions: Gains

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wonder if it will have it's own category? Like "Round Robin" or something, and it shows the 3-5 games played.

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
I think the final answer is it depends upon what the NHL does in future seasons. If a 24 teaan olayoff is here to stay then its playoff games. If we have 16 team playoffs in the future then the play-in games probably become a weird piece of history that doesn't really belong anywhere as regular season or playoffs.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I think the final answer is it depends upon what the NHL does in future seasons. If a 24 teaan olayoff is here to stay then its playoff games. If we have 16 team playoffs in the future then the play-in games probably become a weird piece of history that doesn't really belong anywhere as regular season or playoffs.
Very similar story with the Neutral site games in 92-93 and 93-94, except those were somewhat standardized before the lockout happened.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
IMO you have to count it as playoff stats or put it under some kind of unique event (I prefer the latter option).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So i initially voted option 2 - thinking of changing to option 1 though. Simply put i don't know yet the exact format or what the round robin will look like - if it's meant/designed to be competitive, with seeding a big prize - playoffs. If it's just practice to get in-shape, neither/nor and it's like pre-season games if not.

But I think play-ins will 100% be considered playoffs. So for example if Pens win the cup and Crosby or Malkin end up with ~50 points but in 31 games played (instead of max of 28 w/4 rounds) and beat the record - well good for them. From a historical point of view - it'll be similar to how 92-93 and 93-94 seasons had 84 games, whereas most years prior had 80, and we've since gone down to 82 games. Nobody only counts the 'first 80' games of the 92-93 season. When you compare historically to other playoffs - you adjust for games played though.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Counting them as regular season games is very clearly wrong. Imagine a player losing the Art Ross or Rocket Richard because his team was too good to be on the fringe.

MLB counts play-in games as playoff games.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
For players stats; I'd think the fairest would be they counts as regular season games as they are making up for games that were missed in the regular season.

I dunno though, how is it fair for Ottawa, Detroit, L.A, Buffalo, Anaheim, N.J and San Jose? Even though players will often say they don't care about individual stats, most of them definitely do. Some players have bonuses based on production, so if you play for a team that is out already, I don't think it's "fair" that other players have a chance to improve their stats, while these 7 teams don't.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Was wondering this quite a bit myself
Not sure it's really a poll-type question as the NHL will just decide one way
I was imagining that every game would count as playoff stats, but maybe it'd be better to have the first ones as RS? Tricky to say, maybe there's precedent from the 30s or something

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t think they’re going to count the play-in round, or round robin play as playoff stats.

It would mess up stats for the Conn Smythe.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I dunno though, how is it fair for Ottawa, Detroit, L.A, Buffalo, Anaheim, N.J and San Jose? Even though players will often say they don't care about individual stats, most of them definitely do. Some players have bonuses based on production, so if you play for a team that is out already, I don't think it's "fair" that other players have a chance to improve their stats, while these 7 teams don't.

You assume nhl and nhlpa will come up with a compromise for things tied to bonuses and level the playing field. Id assume "pacing out" for players who were healthy when nhl stopped. So if an ottawa guy is 2 points away from a bonus - he gets it.

However they do it they wont give an unfair advantage to those playing

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The playoffs have not always featured 16 teams, nor best of 7 series, nor required 16 wins to win the Cup, nor even been based on wins and losses (total goal differential). The one thing all formats have had in common is that they're single elimination. You have to include the play-ins as playoffs unless you're also going to throw out ~20 years of history. The rumored round robin to determine seeding isn't an elimination format and therefore shouldn't count as anything.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Play-in games are their own thing. Also, there is no round robin. Round robin is not synonymous with preliminary round. A round robin is a pre-knockout stage where everyone plays each other like in the Olympics or the world cup.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad