for the first time in seven years , the Celtics surpassed the Bruins in popularity

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I mean, the Celtics are the prospective favorites in the Eastern Conference this year. I don't think this is any indictment of the Bruins.

Reactions: Alicat

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Quite the change in N size from year 1 to present day. How do you more than double a sample and compare results?

Reactions: Alicat and hoss75

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
It's kind of a joke that the greatest organization in the history of the sport and probably all American sports isn't first with their own fan base.

The Garden

Oct 6, 2018
It's kind of a joke that the greatest organization in the history of the sport and probably all American sports isn't first with their own fan base.

Is this supposed to be an insult against the Celtics or basketball?

The Lakers are probably the "greatest franchise" in NBA history, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were the most popular team in LA if that helps you. I also wouldn't be surprised if the football team was the most popular in every city besides LA.

The Garden

Oct 6, 2018
It's not an insult. Pretty basic observation.
And Celtics > Lakers.

It's really close overall, but the Lakers have been better recently (since the late 80s) and they also have a slightly better all-time winning % (.596 vs. .590). Things could be totally different if Len Bias and Reggie Lewis were still alive, and things could be different a few decades from now depending on how things go for both teams.

Either way, when all 4 Boston teams are popular not all of them can be the most popular and there's nothing wrong with being the least popular.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Love to know what were the demographics and where did the people live that answers the survey.

I call it hogwash. Ask another question, when did you become a fan of said team?

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
That's it....I am going to stop watching the Bruins and start watching the Celtics.

I couldn't care less what a marketing company says. IMO, the only purpose that these stats serve is money and advertising revenue. Advertisers are constantly adjusting where their dollars go depending on those numbers.
I can't stand "pink hat" fans. I could NOT care less who they root for or what they do or enjoy or anything else. I could never understand anyone saying "I'm a Patriots fan" (for instance) simply because the team is winning. Either you love a team, and are a "fanatic" or you aren't. Period! Going back to the sixties, I remember who among my friends and family watched the Pats and who didn't. When Bledsoe and then Brady came along, all of a sudden everyone claimed to be fans. When Tom Brady retires we'll see who's still around. When/if the Sox hit the skids and/or when Fenway is replaced (for major league baseball) and the Sox get a new park, we'll also see how many pink hats who didn't grow up in New England put up Facebook pictures holding a beer and posing with the new "pahk" in the background.

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I never pay attention to polls. Agenda driven and bias. All of them.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Interesting that the best sport in the world, by far, comes in 4th. Especially a team that is a contender.

Is this indicative of the entire country?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I want to be associated with a winner and popular team

Bye Bruins

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I say good riddance, pink hats. I wish they would never come back, but a good playoff run will f*** that up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad