OT: For All Our Graduates: Congratulations Class of 2020!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
32baffb34ea2caa2d94d8feaad9aaa4f.jpeg

To all our members who are graduation or have kids or other family members graduating, Congratulations!!

It may not be the way you envisioned your special day, but I hope you still find a way to celebrate your incredible accomplishments with your loved ones.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
As much as my twins missed out on a real Commencement with friends and family I believeUMass-Amherst did a helluva virtually.

At UMass Amherst, an unusual commencement - The Boston Globe

The global pandemic may have forced the cancellation of its commencement ceremony, but the University of Massachusetts Amherst honored the Class of 2020 with a virtual celebration Friday filled with all the spirit and pride reserved for graduation day.
In a 19-minute video streamed online , UMass Amherst Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy and Marty Meehan, president of the UMass system, were joined by Hollywood stars, New England Patriots players, elected officials, and accomplished alumni in the university’s 150th celebration of its graduates.
Student musicians played the school’s fight song, speaker Grace Jung reflected on the challenges she and her classmates have faced, and luminaries from many fields offered advice on the days ahead.

Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman told graduates, “If we all stick together, we’re going to come out of this whole thing stronger.”
“You did it!” gushed Patriots defensive back Devin McCourty. “Go chase your dreams and be great!”
Actor Ben Affleck, a Cambridge native, rattled off a list of tips: “Be honest. Be accountable. Help people. Stand up for what’s right. When you’re wrong, own it and apologize. Forgive others. Forgive yourself. Be grateful. Have empathy. Know your worth.”
Former US secretary of state John F. Kerry said, “We’ve been through some tough months, and we have a difficult road ahead of us, but one thing I know for certain: you all have the tools, the energy, and the enthusiasm to bring us back from the brink and to make things better. And I’m confident you’re going to do that.”

Rachel Dratch, a former “Saturday Night Live” cast member who grew up in Lexington, told students in her best Boston accent, “You’re all going fah. You’re all going to the stahs, as far as I’m concerned.”

To address graduates’ challenging final semester, administrators recruited a speaker who has made positivity his entire brand: John Jacobs, a 1990 graduate of the university who went on to cofound the Life is Good clothing company.

I know it hasn’t been easy this year, but the resilience you’ve shown — that’s going to serve you well in the long haul,” Jacobs told graduates. He spoke of his uncertainty when he and his brother launched their company. “If you’re feeling a little lost right now, we did too. The only way we learned was to try, and stumble, and adjust as we went along.”

Reactions: Alicat

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Wel L, my son graduated from Royal Military College in Kingston Ontario. We had our flights booked and were really looking forward to this. I guess the parade the guys practice for a month is really great. It sucks that he participated in three parades for other graduates but didn’t get to do his own.

Reactions: BMC and Gee Wally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad