For all our carping, Pens are doing very well statistically. Again. Worry you?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not to be an idiot or anything but didn't the Pens win last night? I'm not crazy about the system the coaching staff is using either but they're proving it works pretty consistently.

In the regular season absolutely. In the playoffs it's been a problem since our last Cup back in 09. We can't always depend on Sid and Geno. Our 3rd line needs to be improved, Boston and Chicago's for example can generate offense and help them, ours doesn't. Sutter is a good start, now find him 2 wingers who can play at both ends of the ice. Dupuis would have been 1 and a perfect one but he is gone so Shero needs to get cracking

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
In the regular season absolutely. In the playoffs it's been a problem since our last Cup back in 09. We can't always depend on Sid and Geno. Our 3rd line needs to be improved, Boston and Chicago's for example can generate offense and help them, ours doesn't. Sutter is a good start, now find him 2 wingers who can play at both ends of the ice. Dupuis would have been 1 and a perfect one but he is gone so Shero needs to get cracking

For sure, and I think Bennett being out of the lineup is partially responsible as well.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
For sure, and I think Bennett being out of the lineup is partially responsible as well.

Bennett injury doesn't help that's true. He would have taken Dupuis spot. Now when he comes back, he should be playing with Sid. Still leaves 2 spots to be filled with Sutter for the playoffs. As much as I like Megna and Gibbons I don't think they're the answer

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Just for ***** and Giggles I looked up some of the top western teams to see how their secondary scoring from forwards was. I defined it as the six forwards after the top six forward scorers on their teams.

Ducks:
22, 21, 21, 20, 16, 15 = 115 goals

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

Blues:
24, 21, 17, 12, 11, 11 = 96 goals
http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/stl/st-louis-blues

Chicago:
24, 21, 17, 12, 11, 11 = 96 goals
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

Penguins:
20 (Dupuis), 18, 13, 11, 8, 7 = 77 goals
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?gameType=2&season=20132014&srt=p

Penguins (without Dupuis who is done for year):
18, 13, 11, 8, 7, 6 = 63 goals
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?gameType=2&season=20132014&srt=p

Now the results are slightly skewed because losing Dupuis for the year means someone would have had those top line minutes if he had not been there.

But still, the results are striking when you add it all up.

Are you sure you added that up right? The top 12 scoring (total goals) fwds on Pitt are:

1. Crosby - 27
2. Kunitz - 27
3. Neal - 18
4. Malkin - 16
5. Jokinen - 16
6. Sutter - 9
7. Dupuis - 7
8. Conner - 4
9. Megna - 4
10. Glass - 4
11. Engelland (?) - 4
12. Gibbons - 3
13. Adams - 3

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Are you sure you added that up right? The top 12 scoring (total goals) fwds on Pitt are:

1. Crosby - 27
2. Kunitz - 27
3. Neal - 18
4. Malkin - 16
5. Jokinen - 16
6. Sutter - 9
7. Dupuis - 7
8. Conner - 4
9. Megna - 4
10. Glass - 4
11. Engelland (?) - 4
12. Gibbons - 3
13. Adams - 3

I used points as my comparative, not goals. Look at my links. I understand some of my phrasing may have been confusing.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Not to be an idiot or anything but didn't the Pens win last night? I'm not crazy about the system the coaching staff is using either but they're proving it works pretty consistently.

I have all the faith in the world you and I don't need to engage in a "record proves all is good" vs. "means nothing, will fail in the playoffs" kinda discussion.

But that said, I think we can agree as a premise that the team is obviously an elite one, with elite players who if healthy will guarantee that we are among the top teams virtually irrespective of coaching or systems working etc. Yes?
To my mind, it only takes a look at the league leaders in points per game to justify that point of view, and having a top3 depth chart on D league wide only adds.

So.... that brings us back to the eye test, and debating whether what we are doing is what we should be doing; whether we are getting better as a team, and whether we are doing the things we should in order to give ourselves a good chance in the playoffs.

With that in mind, I would be interested in what it is you see that you are not crazy about as regards our system - and what you think we should be changing?

Because personnel choices aside, I think our defensive structure is good and the system too. As for our offensive system, I think we are relying on the talent on the top 6 to freelance and 'get it done', and otherwise seemingly play a system that our personnel cannot pull off considering how we get slaughtered possession wise when the bottom 6 is on the ice. Our special teams however are magnificent, and ultimately that is the key to our being where we are along with Sid, Malkin etc.

Last edited:

Dragon Priest

Elvenlegions
Nov 8, 2007
Metalheaven
I don't care how this team does statistically in the regular season. I care about the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned, that's when the real season starts and obviously they are going to be there. We've seen this movie before. We'll probably see the annual nice long winning streak in March where Mike Prisuta starts talking about being in Chicago in late May/early June and hosting a parade in mid June. But the question is, will the outcome be different....or even less embarrassing then years previous. I really hope it is. But I hold judgement until then. I commend what they are doing now. That's great. Appreciate the work. A lot of great hockey from most guys and work from the team. What they are doing now sets them up nicely and puts them in a great position to be successful come playoffs. But again, we've seen this before. It won't matter come spring time if we see another flame out or embarrassment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad