TV: For all Mankind

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but they just about lost me with season 3. I don't know a lot of people that watch the show, so I might be in the minority, but I thought it was one of the more disappointing seasons of a tv show that I liked.

I tend to agree.

I think they really lost me at the North Korean. It just really broke my immersion of it. The balance just tipped away from "optimistic reality based". They could barely get to orbit, then somehow beat everyone to Mars? There was plenty of good parts, and I liked the radicalization storyline of the younger brother, Dany was great as usual, but parts of it felt off.

Not enough that I wont give it another shot in 4th season.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but they just about lost me with season 3. I don't know a lot of people that watch the show, so I might be in the minority, but I thought it was one of the more disappointing seasons of a tv show that I liked.
Man, that's a buzzkill. At least you've tempered my expectations, so thanks... I guess.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
One of the things I loved was Danielle Poole quoting Star Trek, an example of how this show exists simultaneously inside and outside of its fictional universe. Schrodinger's Comic-Con.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I thought season 3 was pretty solid. Not as good as 2 but I didn't butt up against anything in it that turned me off. I actually liked the reveal that's in the spoiler above.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
For reference, my comment was about like Dany's storyline, I was referring to Danielle (Dany), not Danny Stevens haha. I really like the Danielle character...Danny Stevens definitely not haha.
Literally everyone who likes the show, feels everything involving the Stevens brothers felt out of place or ridiculous in season 3.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Literally everyone who likes the show, feels everything involving the Stevens brothers felt out of place or ridiculous in season 3.

I didnt mind the younger brother storyline. While it feels ridiculous to us that this character so connected to everything falls for the conspiracy theory angle, theres any number of people you could point out from real life that "should know better" yet can still fall victim to the hole of conspiracies, lies, and half-truths. Its not unrealistic.

Danny yeah, Im not defending that character haha.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I didnt mind the younger brother storyline. While it feels ridiculous to us that this character so connected to everything falls for the conspiracy theory angle, theres any number of people you could point out from real life that "should know better" yet can still fall victim to the hole of conspiracies, lies, and half-truths. Its not unrealistic.

Danny yeah, Im not defending that character haha.

Absolutely. A sad loner falling into a conspiracy cult is probably the single most BELIEVABLE plot line on the show. :D

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Curious as to what it was in Season 3 that you didn't like?

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
Curious as to what it was in Season 3 that you didn't like?
I liked the show because it was a cleaver alternate history that seemed plausible. Season 3 seemed like it was more interested in drama than keeping it close to reality.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I liked the show because it was a cleaver alternate history that seemed plausible. Season 3 seemed like it was more interested in drama than keeping it close to reality.

The further away in time that we get from where history diverged, the more unrealistic things will seem. That being said, I thought this season was a lot less interpersonal drama heavy than season 2 (which I enjoyed).

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I thought season 3 was pretty solid. Not as good as 2 but I didn't butt up against anything in it that turned me off. I actually liked the reveal that's in the spoiler above.
Agreed. The above posts lowered my expectations – a good thing, actually! – so in the end season-3 gave me more than expected. Hard to compare it to the outstanding S2 finale, which gave a grand goodbye to favourite characters. S3 leans more heavily on a newer, younger cast who I wasn't as invested in. Most of the older characters are back, with painted-on grey streaks and wrinkles, but the story's orbit shifts to Dev, Kelley, Danny, Jimmy, Tyler, etc. while the physical orbit shifts to Mars. The younger cast is less developed... obviously, since we don't have 25+ years of backstory like we do with Ed, Daniel, Karen, Ellen, etc. And let's be honest – the original characters are just plain better-written. They were the show's foundation, versus the recent cast who were secondary foils and are now being retrofitted with roles too heavy for them.

That said, the writing and story arcs are still great. In fact, S3's vision is even more impressive, given they've now branched out into an alt-reality that's almost entirely separate from our timeline. Some people in this thread questioned a particular major surprise; I thought it was clever and hilariously unexpected. In fact, there are a few major surprises, all of which were well done. FAM put as much thought into the pacing and the reveals of S3 as it did the previous seasons. Even if I didn't care as much for the new characters, I was as hooked and anxious as I was last season about how it resolves.

Well... except for Danny Stevens. Yeah... his obsessive sad-sack persona was the only truly annoying note of S3. Even Jimmy's story served a purpose, giving us a primer on modern-day domestic conspiracy nuttiness.

If the appeal of FAM is its epic scale and reach, you'll find S3 right up there with 1 and 2. It has the same balance of hope, fear, success, and failure. And yes, they kill off familiar characters.

For the geeks, the science remains steadfastly accurate (from what I know). What we see representing the 1990's is a mashup of tech fast-forwarded about 15 years, not far from today, plus little details that give us a preview of life on Mars (not sure if they gain or lose marks for avoiding the David Bowie music). Unlike the Moon, you hear sounds on Mars because it has an atmosphere, albeit not one we can breathe. Helium-3 is a real thing, an immensely valuable isotope not found on Earth but in abundance on the Moon. The brainstorming in Mission Control is a cool intro to how rocket science works, even if all the ideas seem to come from Aleida.

Maybe S3's one weakness is how it takes on cultural enlightenment. While it feels good watching the 1990s clear the cobwebs from the narrow-minded 1960s, the morality subplots are uneven. Striking the right notes between communism/capitalism, conservatism/liberalism, public/private is so arbitrary that FAM misses as many targets as they hit. FAM is unparalleled in its portrayal of rocket science, but the show is pedestrian in its vision of sociology. I guess the human mind is more complex than human toys.

For All Mankind is as bold, ballsy, and badass as any show I've ever seen. It would be great TV even as a pure drama. But by choosing to ride alongside real history, it executes a level of precision-flying that transcends genres. Its alternative world is close enough to reality to feel real, but different enough to be totally disorienting.

In some way, For All Mankind is the ultimate prequel to Star Trek.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Season 2 finale was awesome!

Here a question: Why did they launch the rocket from under the sea?
Sea Dragon heavy lift rocket. It was an experimental rocket in RL that never came to be.

Launching in the ocean means less significantly less infrastructure, and more flexibility with launches given how much ocean there is compared to land. Its also heavy AF.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Sea Dragon heavy lift rocket. It was an experimental rocket in RL that never came to be.

Launching in the ocean means less significantly less infrastructure, and more flexibility with launches given how much ocean there is compared to land. Its also heavy AF.
the closer you are to the equator the more rotational boost you get

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Best TV serie ever!

Above Better call Saul, above Breaking Bad, above everything i saw.

Looking forward to Season 4. And there could be even more. According to this interview, the plan is for 7 seasons.

Lets, see, if they will rescue Earth from an asteroid impact.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Best TV serie ever!

Above Better call Saul, above Breaking Bad, above everything i saw.

Looking forward to Season 4. And there could be even more. According to this interview, the plan is for 7 seasons.

Lets, see, if they will rescue Earth from an asteroid impact.
If half the fan bases dreams come true, it will be a bit of the

opposite

There are some minor easter eggs that tie FAMK and the Expanse into being in the same universe. While this (Unfortunately) isn't the case, countless fans want FAMK to be a prequel to the Expanse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad