Footwear for roller hockey goalie

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I'm just now getting into playing goalie in roller hockey. I just got my own equipment pretty cheap but my only concern is my feet. I don't want to shell out $350 for a pair of inline goalie skates, so I will just play on my feet. However, last time I played, I got a slapshot right in the toe and it's hurt ever since (about 10 days since).

Is there anything special I can get to protect my feet or any specific type of sneaker anyone wears while playing goalie in roller hockey?

Thanks.

SteelCitySenator

Jan 4, 2007
Pittsburgh
Steel Toe Boots would prolly work, or if its that big of trouble you could just kinda make a pad for it. Something like players wear on the sides of their skates when they get a foot injury.

We'reGonnaWin*

Try using aggressive skates that stunt roller bladers use. Those are built tough to stand up to way more abuse than just hockey pucks.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
you can pick up a cheap set of steel toe boots for about 40 bucks. Cut them open and remove the toe cap. Get a pair of sneakers one size large. Glue the toe cap into the sneaker and your set. you always have the toe caps for the next set of sneakers. You might want to consider buying just the goal chassi and mounting it on a player boot if thats a lower cost option for you. However, in sneakers your flirting with broken bones in the foot with out wearing a rigid boot.

Most leagues will not allow aggressive skate in their games. I believe USA hockey has a specific rule against them but how your league enforces is a whole other story

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Who says you have to spend $350 on goalie skates? I wouldn't even pay that much for skates and I'm a forward....

Check out these:

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=62GL

At some point you may want to learn to play on skates because a future league you might join with a team will not allow the goalie to play on foot....

Wow, thanks :)

I do want to learn to play on skates, but didn't want to drop $350 (only price I could find for skates before you posted that link) when I only play once or twice a week for fun. That price is much better though. Luckily, I'm a very good skater, so the transition should be smooth.

For the record, I ended up getting getting these. They're not perfect, but they at least prevent me from limping around for a week when I get nailed with a slapshot.

EatSleepJeep

Dec 31, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Baseball pitchers utilize a device called a pitcher's toe. It's hard plastic cap that covers the front of the shoe that protects their it from coming apart since they're constantly toeing the rubber. Pitchers only need one, but they make them in left and right versions - get one of each.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad