[Footage] 1992-93: Pavel Bure, Goals 39-60. Previously Unavailable Footage.

arsmaster*

Things I've taken from this:

-DT really hasn't changed his schtick since forever hasn't he? Whatever, I still like him as an anchor, in small doses.
-Russian Rocket was what the Sedins are now in the 90s, except even more exciting (probably possible, given it was Bure)
-Linden once said without thinking about it long Mogilny was the most skilled player he's ever skated with. WHAT THE HELL, ALEX? WE COULD HAVE USED YOU IN THE DARK YEARS! :laugh:

My 10 year old daughter and I just watched both of these videos. She was reading your post over my shoulder and said "that guy is wrong, the Sedins are nowhere close to as good as Bure. I wish we had someone on our team like him now".

Just felt the need to share that. She's right.

Tanevian*

My 10 year old daughter and I just watched both of these videos. She was readig your post over my should and said "that guy is wrong, the Sedin's are nowhere close to as good as Bure. I wish we had someone on our team like him now".

Just felt the need to share that.

I bet your daughter didn't say "apostrophe s" when she said Sedins.

Tanevian*

Funny watching "the elbow" again, if that happened today Pavel would be painted as a monster hell bent on ending a career and should be suspended for 50 years.

I'd guess 15+ games for that shot. As it is, nobody really blinked an eye. So when you younger fans ask if respect and cheap shots have changed, the answer is no. Mark Messier would be in jail if he played now.

arsmaster*

Funny watching "the elbow" again, if that happened today Pavel would be painted as a monster hell bent on ending a career and should be suspended for 50 years.

I'd guess 15+ games for that shot. As it is, nobody really blinked an eye. So when you younger fans ask if respect and cheap shots have changed, the answer is no. Mark Messier would be in jail if he played now.

The biggest thing I took was that high stick that got him tossed in the finals was a joke of a call and I blame Bettman.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Haha I didn't remember that elbow in the slightest, love the call on it though: "Bure demolishes Churla with a big league playoff elbow!" They probably were still using the softer elbow pads back then though, which I'm sure helped.

Guess he had a bit of a dirty streak in him. I remember him kneeing a guy, maybe not in the head but way more blatantly than Neal's, against Anaheim that year they started the season in Japan.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

Not too sure about that actually. His hit wasn't radically* different than what Keith planted on Daniel, and Keith got off with a nice rest ... 5 games. Given the playoffs, maybe Bure gets 2 max.

Also, remember when Domi flattened Neidermeyer in the playoffs ... that was pretty close to the same kind of play. Domi crying like it was somehow an accident. Anyhow, he got the rest of that series, but he wasn't a star like Bure either.

*It definitely was harder as both players were moving towards each other, but to be honest I think Daniel was simply lucky he didn't get knocked out, and I think he's still not the player he was before the hit ... an possibly may never be again.

Man, Churla just got smoked though. whew.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
My 10 year old daughter and I just watched both of these videos. She was reading your post over my shoulder and said "that guy is wrong, the Sedins are nowhere close to as good as Bure. I wish we had someone on our team like him now".

Just felt the need to share that. She's right.

:laugh: She is a smart girl. I wasn't saying they are better. I was using a comparison. Communication in the english language is a tricky thing.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

:laugh: She is a smart girl. I wasn't saying they are better. I was using a comparison. Communication in the english language is a tricky thing.

I get what you mean, sort of....how you can marvel at the things the Sedins do on the ice, the same way we marvelled at Pavel.....It's just Pavel dominated with pure physical talent whereas Sedins do things cerebral-like with team play.

Tanevian*

Not too sure about that actually. His hit wasn't radically* different than what Keith planted on Daniel, and Keith got off with a nice rest ... 5 games. Given the playoffs, maybe Bure gets 2 max.

Also, remember when Domi flattened Neidermeyer in the playoffs ... that was pretty close to the same kind of play. Domi crying like it was somehow an accident. Anyhow, he got the rest of that series, but he wasn't a star like Bure either.

*It definitely was harder as both players were moving towards each other, but to be honest I think Daniel was simply lucky he didn't get knocked out, and I think he's still not the player he was before the hit ... an possibly may never be again.

Man, Churla just got smoked though. whew.

Keith would get more than 5 today and his elbow was a love tap compared to Bure's attempt to decapitate.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Not to any way lessen Bure's accomplishments, but the thing that stuck out to me is how much NHL goaltending has improved since then. Around half of those goals would have been considered soft now.

Makes you wonder if the NHL should consider moving to larger nets. Bring the big shooters back into the game. Goaltenders move so far out now there's nothing to shoot at.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not to any way lessen Bure's accomplishments, but the thing that stuck out to me is how much NHL goaltending has improved since then. Around half of those goals would have been considered soft now.

Makes you wonder if the NHL should consider moving to larger nets. Bring the big shooters back into the game. Goaltenders move so far out now there's nothing to shoot at.

Bure had back-to-back 60 goals in 2000-2001 when the games were tigher and scoring was way lower than today, he was going to light up any era he played in.

JA

Bure had back-to-back 60 goals in 2000-2001 when the games were tigher and scoring was way lower than today, he was going to light up any era he played in.

Indeed. Pavel could light up goalies during the dead puck era the same way he scored on them in the early 1990s; the greatest hindrance to his game, though, and the biggest difference was his 1995 right knee injury. By 1999, the knee had undergone two reconstructive surgeries; consequently, he adapted his game to compensate for his lost agility and reduced overall skating ability.

He still sniped these goaltenders from out near the blue line.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Indeed. Pavel could light up goalies during the dead puck era the same way he scored on them in the early 1990s; the greatest hindrance to his game, though, and the biggest difference was his 1995 right knee injury. By 1999, the knee had undergone two reconstructive surgeries; consequently, he adapted his game to compensate for his lost agility and reduced overall skating ability.

He still sniped these goaltenders from out near the blue line.

This is why I love Bure. So much confidence and swagger. One of the best pure goal scorers this league has ever seen

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Things I've taken from this:

-DT really hasn't changed his schtick since forever hasn't he? Whatever, I still like him as an anchor, in small doses.

I remember, oh, about 7 or 8 years ago I got into an argument with someone (or maybe many someones) because I said Don Taylor's schtick was stale and unbearable. IT's inbelieveable to me that he keeps it up today.

Thing that stands out to me watching that video is about the same thing that always does -- man, goaltending has changed a lot in 20 years. Don't get me wrong, Pavel was my favorite player growing up (more than Linden, yes,) but most of these goals simply would not be goals today... even with Luongo* in net.

*Joking. Relax.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Sure, he was an incredible talent, but that talent would have manifested differently in today's game and he would have had to find different ways to score goals. Just the nature of things.

TTOMO

Aug 30, 2011
Port Moody, BC
As society has become more accustomed to the use of YouTube over the past eight years, much footage has emerged that would have previously been unavailable to the general public. This past month, one individual has compiled several of Pavel Bure's goals from the 1992-93 Vancouver Canucks season, many of which have not been seen in over 20 years. This footage is courtesy of Sports Page.

These goals were scored during Bure's slump in the second half of the 1992-93 season. Enjoy this new footage.

Also, this user has posted all of Bure's goals from the 1994 Stanley Cup playoffs:

Thanks to the user, Coffee Ketchup, on YouTube, this rare footage is now available.

This is a real find because the two goals Bure scored against the Oilers near the end of the first video (His 58th and 59th) were from the same game that my novice team played at during the intermission (April 7th, 1993). I haven't seen any footage from that game since then. He scored those 2 goals in the 3rd and then got an assist in overtime. My mom got a picture of him at that game:

2326_66603790790_6261_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad