Cooke - Haula - Nino
X - Brodziak - Fontaine

or

Nino - Haula - Fontaine
Cooke - Brodziak - X

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Seems about right. I figured he would squeeze 1.25 out of them with Arbitration looming. Good to get him at 1 million.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Not bad at all. I was actually expecting a lot more than this with the arbitration hearing.

Nino - Haula - Fontaine
Cooke - Brodziak - Almond

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Still very "eh" on Fontaine. He had some timely goals, but other than that, he was a "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" in a not-so-great kind of way. Plus, he's too old to be considered to have "untapped" potential.

He adds roster flexibility, like Almond, but I rather Zucker be given a 3rd line shot, and also bring in a bigger body on the wing for the bottom-6.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I like Fontaine, this is good. Is it a two way deal?
I'd imagine its 1-way. If the Wild were only offering a 2 way deal, they would have went to Arbitration and he would have been awarded one there.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Not bad at all. If they'd gone over 2 mil per season, I would've been raising my eyebrows.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Good deal for a NHL level player who can play anywhere from 1st line to 4th line. Injuries will come and that is when Fountaine is very valuable.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
good for us but again bad for player. both zucker & fontaine deserved 1.5 imo. if you dont pay people fair why should they hang around?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
good for us but again bad for player. both zucker & fontaine deserved 1.5 imo. if you dont pay people fair why should they hang around?

Fontaine had arbitration coming, so if he felt the offer he signed wasn't fair, he'd definitely had gone to the arbitrator. I don't think he would have accepted this offer if he felt it was unfair, nor would his agent let him "settle" for a less than "fair" offer.

It's definitely lower than I expected, but it's probably right around what he deserves for the role he's going to have going forward.

Eagle Claw

Jan 25, 2013
Finland
Didnt expect fonzy to stay around for that cheap!!

What does this tell us?

He rather gets payed a little less and stay on an contender team than go to a team like buffalo, islanders, columbus with a few others and collect the paycheck

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
Still very "eh" on Fontaine. He had some timely goals, but other than that, he was a "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" in a not-so-great kind of way. Plus, he's too old to be considered to have "untapped" potential.

He adds roster flexibility, like Almond, but I rather Zucker be given a 3rd line shot, and also bring in a bigger body on the wing for the bottom-6.

Agreed. When he's not scoring I hardly ever notice him. 1 million is okay but I wouldn't want to pay him more then that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not bad at all. I was actually expecting a lot more than this with the arbitration hearing.

Nino - Haula - Fontaine
Cooke - Brodziak - Almond

Russo had the pulse of the situation the whole time and said the arbitration filing was nothing more than a formality that likely had little to no impact on negotiations. Was just a security blanket just in case.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Didnt expect fonzy to stay around for that cheap!!

What does this tell us?

He rather gets payed a little less and stay on an contender team than go to a team like buffalo, islanders, columbus with a few others and collect the paycheck

What choice did he have?

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Good price for the 4th liner he is. I don't understand all the talk of him replacing Cooke on the 3rd line. It's not gonna happen. Cooke was solid in that role and outside of the Barrie incident he was perfect for what he was signed for.

Fontaine is a 4th liner who can fill in where needed and not embarrass himself.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Vanek - Granlund - Pomminville
Cooke - Haula - Nino
Fontaine - Brodziak - Almond/Bulmer/?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Good. Nice money, nice term. I'm not a big fan of Fontaine, but he's a decent bottom six player.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
No problem with money or term. Speedy depth scorer. This means Zucker is likely back in Iowa to start next year (still waiver exempt for one more season).

Vanek - Granlund - Pominville
Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Nino - Haula - Cooke
Almond - Brodziak - Fontaine
Scratches: Schroeder, Veilleux

I'm alright with that.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't see how $1m is underpaying him. or that it really matters a great deal if he sticks around. He's proven he can do something, sometimes, in a bottom six role, as a pretty old "prospect". I'd say $1m is about right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad