Confirmed with Link: Foligno extension - 4 x $4m

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Repeating what I said on the Trade forums

Yeah, I'm on board to watch Zuccarello's deal, not on board on this one.

Feel like he's overpaid by $700k if he cannot repeat his 40pt season and I have my high doubts he can. I willing to give him a chance but as it stands, not a fan

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Starting to wonder if the extra cap space we're going to get in the coming years is even going to matter

Reactions: lordtrillson

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

I've been a fan of BG's negotiating in a general sense but this seems like he used no leverage at all.

BG is willing to cut players he's lukewarm on, which is good, but he's too loyal to players he likes,. It's nice to have a player friendly GM to show that this a team that players can enjoy working with but he needs to be more cut throat. I really hate seeing these 2 extremes of him...

With the NMC, we should be talking 4 x 3.3mil AAV.

Reactions: TK 421 and HotDish

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
BG is willing to cut players he's lukewarm on, which is good, but he's too loyal to players he likes,. It's nice to have a player friendly GM to show that this a team that players can enjoy working with but he needs to be more cut throat. I really hate seeing these 2 extremes of him...

I've been saying this for like two years now. If a guy doesn't fall in line perfectly he's gone, even if he helps the team. If he likes a guy he'll give him whatever he asks for and will get bent over in the process. I'm thinking the only reason Zuccarello's deal was only 2 years is because Zuccarello only wanted 2 years, not because Guerin expertly negotiated it down to 2 years by adding a NMC.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I've been saying this for like two years now. If a guy doesn't fall in line perfectly he's gone, even if he helps the team. If he likes a guy he'll give him whatever he asks for and will get bent over in the process. I'm thinking the only reason Zuccarello's deal was only 2 years is because Zuccarello only wanted 2 years, not because Guerin expertly negotiated it down to 2 years by adding a NMC.
This makes sense. Why would Zuccarello want to be tied to Kaprizov-less team?

Reactions: AKL

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
is the logic going to be that as the cap goes up this contract will look better? If so he better hope Foligno doesn't slow down

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I've been saying this for like two years now. If a guy doesn't fall in line perfectly he's gone, even if he helps the team. If he likes a guy he'll give him whatever he asks for and will get bent over in the process. I'm thinking the only reason Zuccarello's deal was only 2 years is because Zuccarello only wanted 2 years.
I'm okay with a bit of cut throatness, I am comfortable working with that. So you and I may disagree on which players should be re-signed here etc etc. But yeah, you can't turn around then and then use no leverage on players you do like.

If you want Foligno to stay, I can see arguments, but man, you HAVE to use these NMCs to your benefit...use it for a 3mil AAV ask, and if he says no, then let the season play out a bit. Then go back to the table at December.

Foligno got favorable AAV, term, and NMC. Wild got a player they wanted, fine, but please make the negotiations interesting... ugh....

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The prospect of the dead cap coming off the books is becoming less and less exciting if it all goes into raises for our role players.
This pinned down something that I've been struggling to put into words. Like the one part of the buyout period that felt like it might be interesting was the potential to force some turnover, and all of these resources are going into avoiding that.

I do not get why this team gets so attached to players like this.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Maybe BG got so excited about Rossi having a good game last night that he felt he had to lock down his future linemate long term.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

But Why.gif

Reactions: TaLoN and Dirty Dog

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This contract just feels like an overreaction to Reaves leaving and signing in TOR for too much money/term.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
I don't know if the term or AAV is worse. Would be generous to say his career outside of playing with Ek was ever worth 3M, never mind 4M, and I hope he never plays with Ek again, and these aint his prime years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad