Focus on what you can improve, not on what you can't

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Nobody cared about Brian Ferlin?

#2. Everyone just accepts that Marchand had a terrible playoffs. No one asks why. I look at it like a tale of two Marchands. One with Recchi and Jagr. The other with Seguin and Smith. The first, he has some room to work with a winger on the side who can fight through some physical checking. The second, he's a wreck... Looks frustrated, fobbles the puck constantly and misses on all of his opportunities.

What I'm suggesting here may be two-fold. One: I want someone with some size/strength on the right side of Bergeron and Marchand. And two, that may mean that I am inadvertently advocating for a trade of Reilly Smith. If I don't want him on that line, I want him on the left side. And the only way it works, is if Chris Kelly is gone... Which I doubt he will be (Smith won't be on the fourth and he won't upseat Lucic). I'm okay with this idea, provided we use Smith to trade UP and not down.

I was talking with someone the other day who suggested that the way for the Bruins to be cap compliant, would be to trade Loui Eriksson. I agreed that it would be an option, even though he was the centerpiece in the Seguin deal. What I would prefer though, is that we kept Eriksson (someone whose value has decreased since he was acquired) and instead flip Smith (a player who has INCREASED his value).

The reason I mention Ferlin, is that he's an unknown, he's big and he shoots right. All three will be attributes that benefit that line and ensure that Bergeron and Marchand can play to their potential. If that spot is to be filled internally, he's the option.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I think one of Spooner/Pastrnak is going to make this team and dramatically improve our speed and creative quotient. I want to see how Lucic and Krejci do with a more skillsy sidekick. I want to see how Chara's game changes if he's paired full time with a PMD like Hamilton instead of a hammer like Boychuk/Seidenberg. I want to see Fraser become this year's Smith. I know most are writing him off, but I don't know why. IMO, he's a lock to start the season on the team and deservedly so. I like his size, I like that he's a good finisher and I'd love to get a poor man's Glen Murray or a Michael Ryder type out of him. Lastly, I think one of the most interesting elements at play here is the fourth line. "The best fourth line in hockey" had a big hand in this team's success, and with Thornton gone, they've kind of lost their identity, but that also gives them a chance to re-invent it into something better. Personally, I'm nervous about moving away from a legit heavy on that line, but I'm also curious to see what it would look like with a little more skill, especially if they could maintain or improve on that high-engery, physical, component.

lots of great points here bill, but i wanted to focus on fraser. i do see a bunch of things to like about his game, but if we're talking about upgrading team speed --- this guy isn't gonna help. and he's a left shot. do you think a glen murray type is the way to go when the hope is to find more wheels? seems like the best move (as you mentioned before) would be to find a righty winger prospect and acquire him for one of our bazillion lefties or centers.

Mr. Make-Believe

He won a double overtime playoff game with a beaute of a play... Just saying, but I understand your point. But he done SOMETHING.

Really? A beauty of a play?

He made a play that Jordan Caron could have made. And it was AWESOME and I was very for him and the team when he did it. But it isn't evidence for his effectiveness in the NHL.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It's an interesting thread MMB, but I'm not sure the changes I'd like to see or the areas I'd like to see improved fit with the team concept.

It seems to me that, since the B's won the Cup, they haven't been very concerned with "improving." They have a formula they believe in, and their off-seasons seem to be all about trying to recreate that mix. Not change it. Not even upgrade parts of it, but repeat it. Ryder goes, Pouliot comes in. Horton goes. Iginla comes in. Kaberle goes, Corvo comes in. Seguin and Peverley go, Eriksson and Smith come in... They seem to make a lot of like/like exchanges. The only times we've really seen improvement in one of those exchanges is when it's come from within, i.e. Kaberle became Corvo became Krug.

I'd like to see them move away from the big Stevens-Neely bookend model and put some speed on Krejci's RW, but that's not really an option this year. I'd like to see a natural finisher in the top6 but that's not in the cards. I'd like to see a puck mover in each D pair but that's not likely to happen this year either...

That said, the lineup I see them going with does have a slightly different feel from team's in the past, they didn't have the cap space to trot out "the formula" and honestly, that's one of the most interesting parts of this season for me.

I think one of Spooner/Pastrnak is going to make this team and dramatically improve our speed and creative quotient. I want to see how Lucic and Krejci do with a more skillsy sidekick. I want to see how Chara's game changes if he's paired full time with a PMD like Hamilton instead of a hammer like Boychuk/Seidenberg. I want to see Fraser become this year's Smith. I know most are writing him off, but I don't know why. IMO, he's a lock to start the season on the team and deservedly so. I like his size, I like that he's a good finisher and I'd love to get a poor man's Glen Murray or a Michael Ryder type out of him. Lastly, I think one of the most interesting elements at play here is the fourth line. "The best fourth line in hockey" had a big hand in this team's success, and with Thornton gone, they've kind of lost their identity, but that also gives them a chance to re-invent it into something better. Personally, I'm nervous about moving away from a legit heavy on that line, but I'm also curious to see what it would look like with a little more skill, especially if they could maintain or improve on that high-engery, physical, component.

This post deserves a second reading, so I'm quoting it by way of agreement.

As much as I respect Chiarelli's patience and refusal to bite on tempting but likely foolish deals, his caution relative to seeking upgrades is regrettable. The truism that unless you're getting better, you're getting worse -- or, at best, standing still -- seems truer with each passing year in the NHL. Look to TO and the hiring of Dubas.

I realize some want "toughness" ala ST on that fourth line, but the league is moving away from that model. I credit Peter for recognizing this & understanding that speed & skill on the fourth line -- and on D -- are now the coin of the realm. (The Bruins are still plenty tough, by the way; both in terms of guys willing to drop the mitts and in terms of a battle tested group that knows what it takes to win.)

And that's why I'm not unhappy to see a cap crunch force an insertion of youth, speed and skill into the lineup. Instead of lateral moves, the Bruins can evolve and improve, and do so in house. Competition for a job tends to focus the mind, too.

So, we'll see. It's sure going to be interesting. :yo::nod:

Last edited:

Jeff from Maine

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Are Soderberg and Eriksson typical 3rd line players? Do the Bruins have potentially 3 offensively equally talented centers? Aren't the standard 1st line 2nd line blurred here and stand to get blurrier if Soderberg continues his ascent and an effective replacement for Eriksson is found? If Iginla stayed I'd pencil him in for 30 and how could Eriksson not improve his output with good health and chemistry with a rapidly improving Soderberg? Claude gave him 2nd line minutes (17+) on a typical rotation in the playoffs.

I fully expect Eriksson to improve. I'm an Eriksson guy. I love solid 2-way players. But to me, improvement to me, would be this:

On 1st line with Krejci: 20-25 goals 55-60 points
On 3rd line with Soderberg: 18-20 goals 50 points

Unless that put a very solid player with Soderberg and Eriksson, those 2 will essentially be on their own quite a bit. I struggle to envision who the right fit would be. Spooner? He could be. But in his short NHL stint, he did not show me anything to make me believe that he is ready to put the puck into an NHL net. Pass the puck? Yeah, he can do that. But 0 goals in what? 20-25 games, stuck out to me. Fraser? I think he could do it. But his lack of skating, and passing skills, may make him better suited for a 4th line, with Kelly and Campbell.

Complicating it all, is that a top line RW needs to be identified. Pasternak is getting a lot of hype for his great development camp...against kids. My preference would be for him to work on his body. Develop some more mass and then step into the line-up in 2015-16. Koko? That would be intriguing to me, and would probably be my preference. I don't want Spooner there. Krejci already turns down too many shots, and Lucic is too unreliable to have another guy who is currently a wild-card in terms of scoring goals at the NHL level. I would expect something like this, if your desire to have Eriksson remain with Soderberg comes to fruition:

Krejci- Lucic- Spooner
Bergeron- Marchand- Smith
Soderberg- Eriksson- Kockhlachev
Campbell- Kelly - Paille

As for the equally talented centers bit...I don't agree with you. Doesn't mean that I am right and you are not. I just see Krejci has being a significantly better passer, and set-up man, than either Bergey or Soderberg. The later 2, are good passers, but not at the Krejci level. I don't see Soderberg as yet being a guy who is going to elevate a linemate into the 25-30 goal range.

My big fear is that Kelly would be with Soderberg and Eriksson. That 3rd line has to play a significant defensive role, and I could see Claude wanting 3 solid defensive forwards on it. Kelly kills offensive potential at this stage of the game.

Later

Jeff from Maine

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Nobody cared about Brian Ferlin?

#2. Everyone just accepts that Marchand had a terrible playoffs. No one asks why. I look at it like a tale of two Marchands. One with Recchi and Jagr. The other with Seguin and Smith. The first, he has some room to work with a winger on the side who can fight through some physical checking. The second, he's a wreck... Looks frustrated, fobbles the puck constantly and misses on all of his opportunities.

What I'm suggesting here may be two-fold. One: I want someone with some size/strength on the right side of Bergeron and Marchand. And two, that may mean that I am inadvertently advocating for a trade of Reilly Smith. If I don't want him on that line, I want him on the left side. And the only way it works, is if Chris Kelly is gone... Which I doubt he will be (Smith won't be on the fourth and he won't upseat Lucic). I'm okay with this idea, provided we use Smith to trade UP and not down.

I was talking with someone the other day who suggested that the way for the Bruins to be cap compliant, would be to trade Loui Eriksson. I agreed that it would be an option, even though he was the centerpiece in the Seguin deal. What I would prefer though, is that we kept Eriksson (someone whose value has decreased since he was acquired) and instead flip Smith (a player who has INCREASED his value).

The reason I mention Ferlin, is that he's an unknown, he's big and he shoots right. All three will be attributes that benefit that line and ensure that Bergeron and Marchand can play to their potential. If that spot is to be filled internally, he's the option.

MMB. Lets think outside the box here.

I too have long wanted to see a Bergeron- Lucic - Marchand line. And it could happen.

Krejci- Soderberg- Eriksson
Bergeron- Lucic- Marchand
Spooner- Smith- Koko
Campbell- Kelly- Paille

I will likely be crucified for this idea. But....

Lines 1, 2, and 4 are VERY responsible lines. The 3rd line adds a speed dimension, with some VERY hungry kids, who are looking to open some eyes.

Later

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

I too have long wanted to see a Bergeron- Lucic - Marchand line. And it could happen.

Spooner- Smith- Koko
Campbell- Kelly- Paille

Lines 1, 2, and 4 are VERY responsible lines. The 3rd line adds a speed dimension, with some VERY hungry kids, who are looking to open some eyes.

Later

Whaaaa?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I fully expect Eriksson to improve. I'm an Eriksson guy. I love solid 2-way players. But to me, improvement to me, would be this:

On 1st line with Krejci: 20-25 goals 55-60 points
On 3rd line with Soderberg: 18-20 goals 50 points

Unless that put a very solid player with Soderberg and Eriksson, those 2 will essentially be on their own quite a bit. I struggle to envision who the right fit would be. Spooner? He could be. But in his short NHL stint, he did not show me anything to make me believe that he is ready to put the puck into an NHL net. Pass the puck? Yeah, he can do that. But 0 goals in what? 20-25 games, stuck out to me. Fraser? I think he could do it. But his lack of skating, and passing skills, may make him better suited for a 4th line, with Kelly and Campbell.

Complicating it all, is that a top line RW needs to be identified. Pasternak is getting a lot of hype for his great development camp...against kids. My preference would be for him to work on his body. Develop some more mass and then step into the line-up in 2015-16. Koko? That would be intriguing to me, and would probably be my preference. I don't want Spooner there. Krejci already turns down too many shots, and Lucic is too unreliable to have another guy who is currently a wild-card in terms of scoring goals at the NHL level. I would expect something like this, if your desire to have Eriksson remain with Soderberg comes to fruition:

Krejci- Lucic- Spooner
Bergeron- Marchand- Smith
Soderberg- Eriksson- Kockhlachev
Campbell- Kelly - Paille

As for the equally talented centers bit...I don't agree with you. Doesn't mean that I am right and you are not. I just see Krejci has being a significantly better passer, and set-up man, than either Bergey or Soderberg. The later 2, are good passers, but not at the Krejci level. I don't see Soderberg as yet being a guy who is going to elevate a linemate into the 25-30 goal range.

My big fear is that Kelly would be with Soderberg and Eriksson. That 3rd line has to play a significant defensive role, and I could see Claude wanting 3 solid defensive forwards on it. Kelly kills offensive potential at this stage of the game.

Later

Building on his play of last year I hope for Soderberg to crack 60 points with probably Kelly and a rookie. Tall order but the guy at times looked immense,hopefully he isn't held back by poor offensive talent on his wings. It's a puzzle for me as I see it,he has the look to score at a point pace of the other 2 centers but doing it with a rookie and a Kelly is a big task. Maybe they shouldn't split up Eriksson and Soderberg but I think Chiarelli already called it.

Mr. Make-Believe

Why would we be better without our #3 Dman who plays 20 plus minutes a night and is a playoff warrior?

Duhrr... You're right. Sure didn't put any thought into that statement, did I? Zing! Ya got me!

What a moron am I. :banghead:

The reason I pose the statement bluntly is to (hopefully) inspire some kind of thought as to why I would say it.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Duhrr... You're right. Sure didn't put any thought into that statement, did I? Zing! Ya got me!

What a moron am I. :banghead:

The reason I pose the statement bluntly is to (hopefully) inspire some kind of thought as to why I would say it.

I wasnt trying to zing you I was just wondering why you think that

Or was it sarcasm that I missed I didnt read the whole thread

Mr. Make-Believe

Spooner- Smith- Koko
Campbell- Kelly- Paille

Later

Dude, I love it conceptually. I think every line would work individually, the fourth is a DECIDED upgrade over standard Merlot, the third would be fun as hell to watch progress and the top two are both great, well-rounded mixes.

I don't think this team gets away with only having two RH shots in the top twelve.

But THIS is the type of discussion I was hoping to inspire with this thread. Because I look at that lineup and I see a lot of elements that were missing last year. THAT lineup has the potential to be an improvement over 13-14.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

I hear over and over that this year's team is a cinch to be worse than last year.
After all, we've already lost our top scoring wing AND are over the cap without having Torey Krug and Reilly Smith under contract. It's a reasonable thing to believe.

But I don't think like that. I think there are areas of the team that we can look at improving over last season. Reasons the Bruins lost that Canadiens series and things that many thought we needed that CAN be acquired. Maybe we don't replace these players with upgrades, but maybe we upgrade a team dynamic with something different.

What COULD happen (if things play out correctly) is that the Bruins end up downgrading in some areas and UPgrading in others and maybe the net result is something at least at par with what we saw last year.

I have in my head several areas of some concern that can be improved upon even considering the current cap situation. A couple of them are inflammatory and while I understand that, I can't deny their truth. And I will NOT applaud the club if Fraser, Florek and Caron are the roster choices. "Same team. Only worse."

_______

I suggest something easy to start and will go on to other things as the discussion runs stale OR non-existent as the case may be.

1. We can't replace Iginla. We WILL downgrade from the 30 goals he gave us on the wing. No choice. There's no option.
BUT
This team will be FASTER with the right roster replacements.

I don't mind playing Fraser and Caron as our bottom two RWs to start the season. If anything, we might be able to pump their value a bit for a deadline trade. I'll be concerned if we roll into the playoffs and they're still there though.

I think there's some opportunity in losing Iginla. I'd rather Louis really step it up and regain his 35 goal/70 point form. I definitely think he can be an improvement over Iginla in that spot if he plays his best.

We will need to improve at the trade deadline. Biggest (perhaps only) need is on the right wing. I'm thinking Drew Stafford, but perhaps there's someone even better (and faster) out there.

The silver lining to this offseason is that there is a bit more development space for our young guys. Spooner, Ferlin, Koko, and maybe even Griffith should all see some time with the big club.

Bottom line: This team is going to be just as good as any in the last four years, and we have a great chance to challenge for the Cup. Enjoy it!

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

Spooner- Smith- Koko
Campbell- Kelly- Paille

Later

I like it

Last year we got 209 goals from our fowards

Lucic (24) Krejci (19) Iginla (30)
Marchand (25) Bergeron (30) Smith (20)
Kelly (9) Soderberg (16) Loui (10)
Paille (9) Campbell (8) Thornton (5)

Than our spares Caron Spooner Fraser Florek (4)

Next years lineup I project our fowards to get 208 I dont think any of those expectations are too unreasonable I dont think we will have a problem scoring up front

Lucic (25) Krejci (20) Eriksson (20)
Marchand (25) Bergeron (25) Smith (20)
Kelly (10) Soderberg(20) Fraser (10)
Paille (10) Campbell(8) Florek (5)

Spares Spooner Koko etc (10)

Last year we scored 258 goals which was good for 3rd in the league our Defense scored 49 goals Chara Krug Hamilton n Boychuk scored 43 of them

I see no reason why they cant do it again this year id project something like

Chara 12
Krug 15
Hamilton 10
Boychuk 6

that would put us on pace to score the exact same amount of goals as last year plus we have hopefully a full season of Seidenberg and Tuukka is gonna keep getting better there is no reason this team cant be better than last years

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

I wasnt trying to zing you I was just wondering why you think that

Or was it sarcasm that I missed I didnt read the whole thread

Yeah, I've been following it up with rationales later on. May as well go.

#3. This team would be better off without Johnny Boychuk.
Now correct me if I'm wrong (I may be missing a short-timer somewhere), but the only two partners that I've really appreciated with Boychuk have been Zdeno Chara and Andy Ference. The only two times where I thought the pair really WORKED. Boychuk is a LOT of wonderful things and one of my favorite Bruins, but he's also been kind of a nightmare to pair. Didn't like him with Bartkowski. Didn't like him with Seidenberg. Can't play on his off-side. Ference is no longer with the team.

So (one would say)... Just stick him with Chara. But you know what? I want Dougie with Chara. Big Z isn't going to be around forever and I believe in Hamilton's future as one of the cornerstones of the defense. I want him to soak it in on a nightly basis AND I want his wheels next to the big man.

So that leaves Boychuk with Seidenberg, which isn't nearly the pair that it needs to be. If we have the option to team Sieds up with one of our other young defenders and ice a more rounded pairing, I'd much rather that. As much as people have promoted Johnny Rocket as a part of the team's core or the player that makes the defense sing, I don't believe that to be the case. I think his time in Boston is limited with his expiring contract... and that we're best served to make the defense more mobile (just as of now, Bart, Krug, Morrow, Warsofsky and Miller are ALL more mobile options for that slot). Playing in even strength situations with Dennis Seidenberg will do wonders for bringing a young defender into his own.

And lastly, there's the tricky little matter of being cap compliant. Boychuk HAS trade value and would allow the team just a little more wiggle room to make moves throughout the season. If one doesn't believe Kelly is going anywhere (I don't), then you're looking at far more turnover at far less return value to get under that number. Consider what a package of Boychuk/Smith and third could bring in... Perhaps that young RH right winger on an EL contract isn't so far out of reach.

Whoever replaces Boychuk likely won't be as good of a player. But sometimes a better fit (either for now, for future returns via experience, or ideally both) is ultimately the smarter option.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Yeah, I've been following it up with rationales later on. May as well go.

#3. This team would be better off without Johnny Boychuk.
Now correct me if I'm wrong (I may be missing a short-timer somewhere), but the only two partners that I've really appreciated with Boychuk have been Zdeno Chara and Andy Ference. The only two times where I thought the pair really WORKED. Boychuk is a LOT of wonderful things and one of my favorite Bruins, but he's also been kind of a nightmare to pair. Didn't like him with Bartkowski. Didn't like him with Seidenberg. Can't play on his off-side. Ference is no longer with the team.

So (one would say)... Just stick him with Chara. But you know what? I want Dougie with Chara. Big Z isn't going to be around forever and I believe in Hamilton's future as one of the cornerstones of the defense. I want him to soak it in on a nightly basis AND I want his wheels next to the big man.

So that leaves Boychuk with Seidenberg, which isn't nearly the pair that it needs to be. If we have the option to team Sieds up with one of our other young defenders and ice a more rounded pairing, I'd much rather that. As much as people have promoted Johnny Rocket as a part of the team's core or the player that makes the defense sing, I don't believe that to be the case. I think his time in Boston is limited with his expiring contract... and that we're best served to make the defense more mobile (just as of now, Bart, Krug, Morrow, Warsofsky and Miller are ALL more mobile options for that slot). Playing in even strength situations with Dennis Seidenberg will do wonders for bringing a young defender into his own.

And lastly, there's the tricky little matter of being cap compliant. Boychuk HAS trade value and would allow the team just a little more wiggle room to make moves throughout the season. If one doesn't believe Kelly is going anywhere (I don't), then you're looking at far more turnover at far less return value to get under that number. Consider what a package of Boychuk/Smith and third could bring in... Perhaps that young RH right winger on an EL contract isn't so far out of reach.

Whoever replaces Boychuk likely won't be as good of a player. But sometimes a better fit (either for now, for future returns via experience, or ideally both) is ultimately the smarter option.

If we could get a young 20 goal winger that may be an a decent option than you can put Bart with Seidenberg who could hid some of his screw ups

the thing that worries me about trading Boychuk is he eats a lot of minutes and id like to see Chara at 20 mins per game next year so if we dont have Boychuk that would leave the burden on a young Dougie and Seids coming off an ACL to take up those big minutes...If its the Dougie we saw at the end of the year it could work out fine but I don't know if I fully trust him yet

Mr. Make-Believe

If we could get a young 20 goal winger that may be an a decent option than you can put Bart with Seidenberg who could hid some of his screw ups

the thing that worries me about trading Boychuk is he eats a lot of minutes and id like to see Chara at 20 mins per game next year so if we dont have Boychuk that would leave the burden on a young Dougie and Seids coming off an ACL to take up those big minutes...If its the Dougie we saw at the end of the year it could work out fine but I don't know if I fully trust him yet

I trust Dougie to take some minutes. But I agree that it's a little ambiguous as of yet as to how Seidenberg will look coming off if his injury. I have to admit though, I don't predict him looking any different. He was a better playoff run from coming back last year and is a beast physically.

I also think Krug has top four minutes in his near future and that Bartkowski (while perhaps not a great fit in Boston) could be a serviceable 20 min guy in the right situation. And Kevan Miller? Well, I have my own fondness for Miller who has the potential to bring everything Boychuk did sans the shot and with better wheels to boot.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I think Smith on the first line with Lucic and Krejci could be worth a look. It gives us the option of keeping Loui with Soda and also it gives the Krejci line the much needed speed on that right side. I think Begeron and Marchand are the dynamic duo, their RW just needs to support and get them the puck. I know it's not just that simple but I'd be auditioning guys for that spot.

Lucic-Kejci-Smith
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak/Ferlin
Paille-Soderberg-Eriksson
Spooner/Khoko-Kelly/Campbell-Caron/Fraser (I really don't know how that fourth line shakes out.)
I'd really like to see Spooner or Khoko center the fourth line but what to do with Kelly and Caampbell?

MMB, I like your reasoning on maybe moving Boychuk. I'd like to move Kelly as well but where is the taker for a 3 million dollar third line center coming off a back injury.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I think Smith on the first line with Lucic and Krejci could be worth a look. It gives us the option of keeping Loui with Soda and also it gives the Krejci line the much needed speed on that right side. I think Begeron and Marchand are the dynamic duo, their RW just needs to support and get them the puck. I know it's not just that simple but I'd be auditioning guys for that spot.

Lucic-Kejci-Smith
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak/Ferlin
Paille-Soderberg-Eriksson
Spooner/Khoko-Kelly/Campbell-Caron/Fraser (I really don't know how that fourth line shakes out.)
I'd really like to see Spooner or Khoko center the fourth line but what to do with Kelly and Caampbell?

MMB, I like your reasoning on maybe moving Boychuk. I'd like to move Kelly as well but where is the taker for a 3 million dollar third line center coming off a back injury.
Kelly also has a ntc.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
Lots of interesting ideas, I'd keep it simple in that we give Spooner a shot, get rid of Eriksson for a third pair defenseman, and PLAY SOME OFFENSE!! Last year's playoffs it really seemed like the team was holding back and afraid to take some chances. I know Claude's system leans towards playing it safe but especially in the playoffs you have to go balls out. Let's see some end to end breakaways and some forwards finishing their chances...

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Lots of interesting ideas, I'd keep it simple in that we give Spooner a shot, get rid of Eriksson for a third pair defenseman, and PLAY SOME OFFENSE!! Last year's playoffs it really seemed like the team was holding back and afraid to take some chances. I know Claude's system leans towards playing it safe but especially in the playoffs you have to go balls out. Let's see some end to end breakaways and some forwards finishing their chances...

If they were guilty of anything other than offensive futility it was lack of energy which people are interpreting as lack of speed. Lack of energy is even more alarming since it's probably mental. Eriksson's going nowhere the first half and Spooner might be.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
lots of great points here bill, but i wanted to focus on fraser. i do see a bunch of things to like about his game, but if we're talking about upgrading team speed --- this guy isn't gonna help. and he's a left shot. do you think a glen murray type is the way to go when the hope is to find more wheels? seems like the best move (as you mentioned before) would be to find a righty winger prospect and acquire him for one of our bazillion lefties or centers.

I agree, but we can't expect them to completely change who they are. And I wouldn't want them to. What they are has been extremely successful. I'd just like to see a bit more balance. Injecting a blazer like Spooner/Pastrnak should do that for one of the lines and maybe the PP too, while adding a(nother) guy who can grind and play a heavy game in Fraser keeps them hard to play against.

I also don't know that they'll look for a righty prospect. Before the draft I would have said yes, but they got a gem in Pastrnak and he has first line potential IMO. I think if they do go for a righty, it'll be at the deadline and they'll probably look for someone more established, who fits 'the formula.' I could see them pushing hard for Bobby Ryan, if he's available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad