Focus on what you can improve, not on what you can't

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I'll 100% buy into Corsi if it gets me the job :laugh:

If Dubas is making more than 50k a year, I quit life. I look at hockey stats for FUN!

Is it sad that I regularly check the NHL job postings for an analytics position, knowing it'll never be there and they'll never hire me? :laugh:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

#4. Caron, Smith, Fraser, Eriksson can NOT be the the RW corps. Pick ONE of them, and fill the rest of the slots with RH shooters.

I kinda got into this point with the Fraser conversation (inadvertently), but the two times the Bruins have gone far in the playoffs, they've had a six and six split. By making this statement, I'm settling for a 7/5 ratio.

I think there's the thought out there that the handedness of our forwards doesn't matter. They could all be lefties and it wouldn't leave the team any better or any worse. That's why this is a separate statement to me. I have to think that the Habs had an easier time handling our 9/3 split because it was easier to position themselves defensively. Now... I could very well be talking out of my ass with this one. Truth is, I never played at a high enough level where the hand the guy I was up against mattered one measly lick. This is a conversation where a mind better than my own could explain the importance (or lack thereof) better than I could.

I look at our forwards last year in the playoffs and they looked better than the year before and arguably better than 2011. What's different/what can we improve? Well, I think getting a more even split between lefties and righties is an easy enough ambition and I see little reason to discount its importance.

Mr. Make-Believe

I am not sure it is that black and white to suggest conclusively that Brad's struggles were the result of not having a Recchi/Jagr type with him.I agree that I don't want Smith on that line but Brad had a mediocre playoff because he played undisciplined and had no confidence at all.He wasn't dialled in mentally.

Really? Is that what you saw?

I saw a guy who fought traffic and missed open nets. And while I can't say conclusively one way or the other, I CAN suggest that a little space for Marchand to work would have gone a long way in helping make him effective.

Unlike some posters (and some public acknowledgement by the Bruins' management), I'm not willing to shrug my shoulders and say "well, we sucked. whateverz." It isn't enough to say that the team didn't perform to expectations, but to understand WHY they didn't and to avoid those pitfalls in the future.

Mr. Make-Believe

I thought Fraser acquitted himself well in the playoffs.

I hear what you're saying about his regular season, but do you remember how Marchand looked in his first ~25 games? Or Krejci? I remember people saying the exact same things about them too.

I think Fraser is following that same developmental path: 1) Establish yourself as a dominant AHL'er within a year or 2 of turning pro. 2) Get your feet wet in the NHL with 20-30 games and show a few glimpses of what you can do. Finish stronger than you started, but for the most part look like a kid who's just trying to adjust. 3) Come back the next season ready for what to expect, confident in that you've paid your dues and earned the right to be here, and then take the next step.

I don't know if we'll see it, but I think a line of Spooner-Soder-Fraser could be perfect for him. He's developed good chemistry with Spooner while in Profidence, and Soderberg assisted on all three of his goals from last season. I think it could be a nice blend of size, speed, playmaking and finishing.

I didn't know what to think about Krejci because of his size. And I liked Marchand and thought he was an NHL player even after his start.

Big difference there, because I still saw things about each players' game that the scouts touted before their arrival. And Fraser? Not so much. The NHL looks like it moves too fast (skates, decision-making) for him. And I don't put too much stock into a playoff series where he came in halfway through a series the Bruins were being frustrated by, in a setting where where everything is a little more deliberate, against a team the Bruins allowed to succeed playing passively... His ice time STILL went down game after game and he still didn't do anything astounding like Krug managed to the year before. 4 games. 1 goal at a great time. 1 assist. 4 shots combined. Pretty quiet in games 6 and 7. (I mention Krug, because if a playoff run "earns" you a spot on the team, it was HIS.)

I don't think Fraser has the kind of personality that laziness will be his downfall. I think he's a great kid with a big heart and a lot of tenacity. I hope to hell I'm wrong in my assessment of him. I just don't think he has the skills to translate to a full time NHL position. And like this board was with Andy Hilbert, if you're counting on Fraser to provide some decent offense next year, you're going to be disappointed.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Really? Is that what you saw?

I saw a guy who fought traffic and missed open nets. And while I can't say conclusively one way or the other, I CAN suggest that a little space for Marchand to work would have gone a long way in helping make him effective.

Unlike some posters (and some public acknowledgement by the Bruins' management), I'm not willing to shrug my shoulders and say "well, we sucked. whateverz." It isn't enough to say that the team didn't perform to expectations, but to understand WHY they didn't and to avoid those pitfalls in the future.

Why exactly was he missing open nets? A lack of confidence didn't play a part?How did my suggestion of Brad being more focused next time around turn into a generalization that I am suggesting "we'll we sucked "...I thought you had more class than that.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

Why exactly was he missing open nets? A lack of confidence didn't play a part?How did my suggestion of Brad being more focused next time around turn into a generalization that I am suggesting "we'll we sucked "...I thought you had more class than that.

Not you dude - but a prevailing statement I see around here. "They just didn't play right." "They weren't lucky enough." "If so-and-so had been better". "It's all Mart Battkowski's fault!" :laugh: My effort wasn't to give one solution or cure-all, but to find causes for the known effects. Confidence DID play a part, yes I agree. But WHY was his confidence an issue? It would have to come from some kind of repeat failure, no?

He's missing open nets, because he's rushing it. He's used to not having time to do what comes naturally to him because his space is being taken away. Makes for a jumpy player who can miff on routine puck plays when normally one isn't known for that.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Not you dude - but a prevailing statement I see around here. "They just didn't play right." "They weren't lucky enough." "If so-and-so had been better". "It's all Mart Battkowski's fault!" :laugh: My effort wasn't to give one solution or cure-all, but to find causes for the known effects. Confidence DID play a part, yes I agree. But WHY was his confidence an issue? It would have to come from some kind of repeat failure, no?

He's missing open nets, because he's rushing it. He's used to not having time to do what comes naturally to him because his space is being taken away. Makes for a jumpy player who can miff on routine puck plays when normally one isn't known for that.

Yes,you certainly could be right.Perhaps Smith could be a good fit on that line,I really don't know,but the line obviously struggled in the playoffs.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I didn't know what to think about Krejci because of his size. And I liked Marchand and thought he was an NHL player even after his start.

Big difference there, because I still saw things about each players' game that the scouts touted before their arrival. And Fraser? Not so much. The NHL looks like it moves too fast (skates, decision-making) for him. And I don't put too much stock into a playoff series where he came in halfway through a series the Bruins were being frustrated by, in a setting where where everything is a little more deliberate, against a team the Bruins allowed to succeed playing passively... His ice time STILL went down game after game and he still didn't do anything astounding like Krug managed to the year before. 4 games. 1 goal at a great time. 1 assist. 4 shots combined. Pretty quiet in games 6 and 7. (I mention Krug, because if a playoff run "earns" you a spot on the team, it was HIS.)

I don't think Fraser has the kind of personality that laziness will be his downfall. I think he's a great kid with a big heart and a lot of tenacity. I hope to hell I'm wrong in my assessment of him. I just don't think he has the skills to translate to a full time NHL position. And like this board was with Andy Hilbert, if you're counting on Fraser to provide some decent offense next year, you're going to be disappointed.

Fair enough, I disagree with most of your points and assessments here, but there's not much point in arguing about it. Either he'll win a spot on the team or he won't. Should be fun to see how things unfold.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
It's a good point, and fwiw, I actually think this team is going to be a damn good regular season team. I think they're going to have at least two skillsy guys on each line (Krejci and Eriksson, Marsh & Smith, Spooner & Soder) and that's going to be a new look and one I think will be fun to watch. It will be interesting to see if the management team buys in or tries to get back to the formula at the deadline deal.

I thought Fraser acquitted himself well in the playoffs.

I hear what you're saying about his regular season, but do you remember how Marchand looked in his first ~25 games? Or Krejci? I remember people saying the exact same things about them too.

I think Fraser is following that same developmental path: 1) Establish yourself as a dominant AHL'er within a year or 2 of turning pro. 2) Get your feet wet in the NHL with 20-30 games and show a few glimpses of what you can do. Finish stronger than you started, but for the most part look like a kid who's just trying to adjust. 3) Come back the next season ready for what to expect, confident in that you've paid your dues and earned the right to be here, and then take the next step.

I don't know if we'll see it, but I think a line of Spooner-Soder-Fraser could be perfect for him. He's developed good chemistry with Spooner while in Profidence, and Soderberg assisted on all three of his goals from last season. I think it could be a nice blend of size, speed, playmaking and finishing.
That would be a huge plus for the team if a 3rd line of Soda-Spooner and Fraser could contribute.I think there are too many question marks up front to really know what kind of Bruins team we will see this year.I am sure just about everybody would rather take our lumps in the regular season as we experiment and hopefully have a deep playoff run.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
That would be a huge plus for the team if a 3rd line of Soda-Spooner and Fraser could contribute.I think there are too many question marks up front to really know what kind of Bruins team we will see this year.I am sure just about everybody would rather take our lumps in the regular season as we experiment and hopefully have a deep playoff run.

I agree. I think Spooner could have 50 points this year if given the opportunity. Whether that's here or not remains to be seen... Like you said, there are still many questions that have to be answered, and there are moves that have to be made just to get compliant.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

#4. Caron, Smith, Fraser, Eriksson can NOT be the the RW corps. Pick ONE of them, and fill the rest of the slots with RH shooters.

I kinda got into this point with the Fraser conversation (inadvertently), but the two times the Bruins have gone far in the playoffs, they've had a six and six split. By making this statement, I'm settling for a 7/5 ratio.

I think there's the thought out there that the handedness of our forwards doesn't matter. They could all be lefties and it wouldn't leave the team any better or any worse. That's why this is a separate statement to me. I have to think that the Habs had an easier time handling our 9/3 split because it was easier to position themselves defensively. Now... I could very well be talking out of my ass with this one. Truth is, I never played at a high enough level where the hand the guy I was up against mattered one measly lick. This is a conversation where a mind better than my own could explain the importance (or lack thereof) better than I could.

I look at our forwards last year in the playoffs and they looked better than the year before and arguably better than 2011. What's different/what can we improve? Well, I think getting a more even split between lefties and righties is an easy enough ambition and I see little reason to discount its importance.

I've been trying to think of concrete reasons or situations where having more lefties than righties would create a problem, and I haven't had much luck. I thought about how you can't run a small number of set plays off offensive zone face-offs, but you can modify those set plays to work with what you have. It's not like there's any one golden set play that works all the time...

I agree that it's unusual, but that could be because most wingers (most players) are Canadian and most North American wingers play on their strong side. I don't know, I'm still pondering and reading to see if someone comes up with anything... I do think they'll acquire at least one righty, but he might just be a bottom 6'er.

Oh, and you're comment about a deep playoff run struck a chord because the B's lost to the Hawks in 2013 and their RW's were Kane (LH), Hossa (LH) and Frolik (LH). Seven of their top9 were LH shots.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad