Flyers' Wives Carnival [charity event]: Sunday, March 13, 2016

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is a thread to discuss the Flyers' Wives Carnival and associated charitable endeavors. If you have any questions, or experiences past, present and following the event, they can be posted in this thread.

A direct link to the image below: http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=105352

Since its inception, Flyers Charities has contributed over $26 million to charity. The funds raised from the Flyers Wives Carnival and other initiatives and events help support hundreds of non-profit organizations throughout the Greater Philadelphia Region, including the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation. Flyers Charities proudly supports a multitude of worthy non-profit organizations that provide educational and recreational resources to underserved youth, engage in important medical and healthcare research, and countless community development initiatives.

FerrisWheelCrop.jpg

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
From user budscweizer16 left in the TICKET sticky (post #672).

Does anyone have a Ghost auto ticket available to buy?

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I got every other ticket I wanted, but I missed one for Ghost.

I did print out the schedule last night and figured out all the sections where the people are at that I want to get autographs on.

Looking forward to it. Disappointed there was no home game the day before, though. Makes the trip more worthwhile when flying up from Texas. Since it'll be warmer, maybe I'll finally get a chance to go sight seeing on Saturday (since there is no game).

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
It is sad.. I flew up from Texas, and I am at the hotel now. I am IN Philly, and I cannot even watch the Flyers game. The Direct TV in the lobby claims the "program is unavailable in your area." and the different channels in the room do not have it either...

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It is sad.. I flew up from Texas, and I am at the hotel now. I am IN Philly, and I cannot even watch the Flyers game. The Direct TV in the lobby claims the "program is unavailable in your area." and the different channels in the room do not have it either...

All hail the Overlord, Comcast.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I was given some online ideas, but none work. NHL.com has it as a free game, but you cannot watch it on their website on the iPad. And on the iPad app, despite it being listed, it will not play.

And yahoo has it free, but it is blocked from my location.

I give up..

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
seems to me that it is rare the Flyers are on the road the night before Wives Carnival.
dont they usually have afternoon games the day before?

Yes, usually. Today was the first time I could go see the city and the sites as I have always been at the afternoon game. I had a nice time today, but it would have rather had a home game today :)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Jake said he skated this morning and sounded pretty positive.

He also said the team has been going so well he was worried about being a healthy scratch. :laugh:

LaBarbera is there today as well as Stolarz. Maybe some other Phantoms are there, too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That's cool. I'm watching Hagg being interviewed right now. He's a tall dude.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Well, I had a great time. I met 11 players total, and the coach. The only person I didn't get to see, that I wanted to, was Neuvirth. I had a ticket, but he left early because of the stomach flu he is fighting. He was the last guy I had, but they gave me a credit and I saw White instead.

So, I got autographs from Giroux (again), Simmonds (again), Bellemare, Streit, Del Zotto, Gostisbehere, White and Laughton. And, for free, I picked up Read and Voracek (now I have like four signed Voracek pucks) and Medvedev. Those three were passing me, and I managed to get them to sign something.

And at the end, I got Coach Hakstol. Not bad. This is my 4th carnival to fly up from Texas for. I think I am outta room to put stuff at in my home office after this trip :)

I've met many other players in the past, so those were the only ones I was looking for this time. Only disappointment was no Neuvirth.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Jake said he skated this morning and sounded pretty positive.

He also said the team has been going so well he was worried about being a healthy scratch. :laugh:

LaBarbera is there today as well as Stolarz. Maybe some other Phantoms are there, too.

I saw Jake was wearing a boot.

I did see Rosehill with another Phantom player. I don't know any of the Phantom players except Rosehill.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
How do you have time to get so many? I feel like every time I went, I was in line for 2 hours for 1 guyy

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
How do you have time to get so many? I feel like every time I went, I was in line for 2 hours for 1 guyy

If you plan it out properly you can hit a lot of players.

The one year I went, I got B. Schenn, Jagr, Voracek, Giroux, Lilja, Coburn, and Carle and possibly a few others. I was the first person in Jagr's line and had my friend be the first person in Schenn's line. They were right next to each other. I got my two items signed and he got his two items signed. I handed over my giant Winter Classic ticket to my friend to go back to the Schenn line to get that signed since I was in Jagr's line with it. Those were strictly autograph lines. You can find the players at the random games that they're doing too and get autographs.

You just need to be in the line early and not towards the end.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Last time I went I dragged two little kids with me. It was difficult. We did get an epic Jagr photo though.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas

They do a fantastic job for handicapped people. Thankfully, I am no longer on crutches like I was the last three times I came. But, I had a cane this time. I can't stand up in one place for long, and they make accommodations for people with physical problems (I have two bad knees). They have a volunteer they pair ya up with, and take you in the back way. Otherwise, yea, I probably would not have had as much luck as I did.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Ah. Well I'm glad you got to so many.

Thanks. It is kind of a pain to drag a backpack full of pucks, jerseys and other stuff up here from Texas on the plane. I got a pulled aside at security so they could check all those evil black discs that showed up on the X-ray machine :laugh: - the pucks :)

Anyway, to make the trip back and forth, I am glad that it worked out so well. Makes it more worthwhile.

I think after 4 trips up here, I have met almost 30 different players.. Some multiple times.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
We'll see. I am sure I can find some excuse to come back :)

I usually pay for the trip with airline miles and hotel points. So, it's just the event and the food (and taxi rides) that I have to pay for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad