Rumor: Flyers waived Ghost to clear cap for major deal

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I have a feeling this is one of those things where the reporter is reading into a move. I don't think Ghost gets claimed at all. Many teams have waived guys in this cap strapped time for flexibility of moving guys up and down to the taxi squad.

Who even has the cap space?

Florida has the space and just lost Ekblad

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Why would the flyers be taking on Salary? Wouldn’t they be sellers looking for young players + picks for the future? Unless they’re trying to get a goalie, I guess?

Reactions: haveandare

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Just posted this in the other thread. Watch this be the first step in Calgaru rebuild with Johnny Hockey going to the flyers.
Probably. Some of us here in Calgary have been expecting Johnny to be heading back east at T's first opportunity. This may be closer to becoming reality now that Darth Sutter has taken over behind the Flames' bench.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I have a feeling this is one of those things where the reporter is reading into a move. I don't think Ghost gets claimed at all. Many teams have waived guys in this cap strapped time for flexibility of moving guys up and down to the taxi squad.

but we have no one to really move up and down for room. Everyone we have is already on the taxi squad or injured. This move makes no sense other than maybe its to make room for a trade. Idk though, this has the been the craziest month for the flyers lol

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
PROPOSED:

Philly trades three 1st Rd picks to WAS for Tom Wilson.

Immediately strips Giroux of the C and puts it in Wilson, completing the transformation into the Broadstreet Bullies 3.0

Reactions: JesusNPucks

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Florida has the space and just lost Ekblad
This year yeah. But you'd also be taking on the next two years as well. Not saying it won't happen but that's a hell of a move for the Panthers to commit to someone for multiple years because of an injury for this season only.
but we have no one to really move up and down for room. Everyone we have is already on the taxi squad or injured. This move makes no sense other than maybe its to make room for a trade. Idk though, this has the been the craziest month for the flyers lol
Fair point. Could also just be plain roster flexibility. Isles do it every month with Leo Komarov.

Reactions: flyerslducks

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

LA, NJ, Ottawa and Detroit.

NYR if they send down one of their D after claiming him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can't tell if this is a reporter actually reporting what he's hearing, or just taking the fact he got waived as some indication that they're working on a major deal.

Those 2 situations are very different
Ghost has no trade protection. Is due like $2.25 mill in SB in each of the next 2 seasons with $1 mill in salary in both years. If Philly deals him after his next SB, he would only have $4.25 mill in total cash remaining on his 2 year deal, so $2.125 mill per year to a team that isn't a cap ceiling team. $4.5 mill cap hit.

Expect him to be moved after his SB is paid in the off-season.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Doesn't make sense for them to add a rental as they're not looking likely to make the playoffs, but someone with term might work.

A RHD like Ellis would rebalance that lineup nicely:

Provorov -- Ellis
Sanheim -- Myers
Morin ----- Braun

Reactions: longtime lurker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad