Post-Game Talk: Flyers v Never Gonna Get It

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Well, it was fun to watch Wilson truck some Flyers.

Caps' game needs a lot of work, though.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
This was a playoff game preview; we had better be sharper and better prepared to beat stacked blue lines.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
3 games in and shanty is added to we hate our defense group. Outstanding! This is the best 6 defenseman the caps have ever had, but to some here all but niskinen suck.
Good point.

We all know sports boards are biased toward being negative, over worrying. Know something else? Odds are less than 25% Caps win the SC, and they're most likely the favs (better odds than any other team atm). However upsets in the NHL playoffs are hardly scarce :popcorn:

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Flyers look so short. All of them. And not intimidating and not much skill. What happened to this team? :shakehead

I recently re-watched a Caps/Flyers game on youtube from 2010(?) where Caps had like 40 shots on goal in the 1st period alone but lost 7-1. Good times.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
not sure its being negative. he hasn't been that impressive yet. the caps game is complicated and its going to take him a while.

meanwhile after the Caps have beaten the flyers 5-0, 4-1 and 2-1 their fan base thinks the Caps suck. Its funny.

appears Connolly is in the dog house. 6mins of toi

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Just unacceptable 5-on-5 possession performance by the 1st line, and by Trotz, for that matter, just allowing it to continue.

And need to get Schmidt back into the lineup.

Could also stand to give the "3rd" line more TOI. I guess Trotz is waiting for Burakovsky to come back before he starts rolling them again, but they still deserve better than 6-7 minutes.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Possession numbers:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie 59%
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Williams 53.85%
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Williams 51.95%
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie 50.16%

Last season:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Williams 62.29%
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Williams 56.08%
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie 55.88%
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie 50.74%

Scoring chance percentages when on the ice:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie 62.11%
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Williams 55.46%
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie 51.13%
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Williams 50.90%

Last season:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie 61.20%
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Williams 59.15%
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie 52.12%
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Williams 50.83%

Hopefully it doesn't take Trotz till we're down 3-1 in a series to figure it out.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
the caps game is complicated and its going to take him a while.
Meh. They're just not playing with the pace and execution they were pre-break. It's not like it's just him out of rhythm...hardly any of them have it offensively. The PP is just about as simple as you can possibly make it. I think these two minute PP experiments with him and Ovechkin is forcing it. Players just need to play their role and get used to it over time. If anything those two and the rest of that unit need quality practice time.

Shattenkirk is what he is. He's probably a #3/4 and really not a franchise defenseman. His skating isn't great nor is he a shutdown defender. Like I said, he'll need to be downright brilliant offensively as a result in order to make them even contemplate moving Carlson in order to keep him.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
not sure its being negative. he hasn't been that impressive yet. the caps game is complicated and its going to take him a while.

meanwhile after the Caps have beaten the flyers 5-0, 4-1 and 2-1 their fan base thinks the Caps suck. Its funny.

appears Connolly is in the dog house. 6mins of toi
We all hope 22 improves and eases himself into the Caps system.

:laugh: I noticed they don't see "it" about the Caps, are forecasting another early exit, and Caps really don't want to face the Flyers in round 1 cause Mase is hot... :rolly:

You're being kind to label it as "funny" ;)

animositynow

Mar 4, 2012
caps need to work on PP unit #1.

this is as good as the team is going to get. winning these games doesn't matter. the only time it matters is in april/may/june. wish we could just hurry up and get to the playoffs already

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Meh. They're just not playing with the pace and execution they were pre-break. It's not like it's just him out of rhythm...hardly any of them have it offensively. The PP is just about as simple as you can possibly make it. I think these two minute PP experiments with him and Ovechkin is forcing it. Players just need to play their role and get used to it over time. If anything those two and the rest of that unit need quality practice time.

Shattenkirk is what he is. He's probably a #3/4 and really not a franchise defenseman. His skating isn't great nor is he a shutdown defender. Like I said, he'll need to be downright brilliant offensively as a result in order to make them even contemplate moving Carlson in order to keep him.

My concern is whether the Caps' finely-tuned mechanism, assuming it spins up again, can function when opponents take the pressure up a level.

Right now, it's too easy to take them off their game...

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Possession numbers:

Last season:

Scoring chance percentages when on the ice:

Last season:

Hopefully it doesn't take Trotz till we're down 3-1 in a series to figure it out.

This is why I don't understand why people say Ovechkin will "drag down" any line he's on. 8-19-77 hasn't been good since the beginning of last season. It's not a recent thing. Meanwhile Ovechkin has had success with Kuznetsov.

And it's not like the second line has some unbreakable chemistry right now either that would make it difficult to mix up the top 6. Johansson had a nice game against the Rangers but aside from that he's been a turnover machine. Williams hasn't been much better. Kuznetsov has made some great individual plays but his wingers aren't contributing enough.

Flip 19 and 92 for 5 games or so. If it doesn't work then fine, go back. But there is actual tangible evidence that Ovechkin performs much better away from Backstrom and specifically with Kuznetsov. And his play can't get much worse right now.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
its funny or interesting to see that some people here cant accept the home win streak because it was not convincing enough :laugh:

one day its the offense, the other day its defense or goalie... i know why u do it... u switch around ur doubt the closer it gets to the post season. we dont know how, we dont know why, we dont know when. what we do know is that the regular season dominance will not translate into the playoffs, more likely the opposite will happen. like in a horror movie, those skeptical posts are those who want to prepare themselves for the shock that will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad