Post-Game Talk: Flyers v Never Gonna Get It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
not sure its being negative. he hasn't been that impressive yet. the caps game is complicated and its going to take him a while.

meanwhile after the Caps have beaten the flyers 5-0, 4-1 and 2-1 their fan base thinks the Caps suck. Its funny.

appears Connolly is in the dog house. 6mins of toi

I noticed this on their boards as well. Just let them make their baseless claims as they slip into irrelevance.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
not sure its being negative. he hasn't been that impressive yet. the caps game is complicated and its going to take him a while.

meanwhile after the Caps have beaten the flyers 5-0, 4-1 and 2-1 their fan base thinks the Caps suck. Its funny.

appears Connolly is in the dog house. 6mins of toi

Every teams fans competing for the WC2 thinks they are better despite losing.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
First point for Shattenkirk, while it was his worst game with Caps.

Flyers fans are funny. Mason, everytime he plays @ Verizon Center, he needs to let a fluky goal, go in. That was a great shot by Orlov, but also a bad goal to conceed. His save in OT, it was more a very bad shot by Oshie than a great save by him. It just hit his mask.

The only reason, I don't want to play against them in the 1st round, it's because I'm sure we will end the series with few key injuries. We will take a 3-0 lead in the series, and then, the goon will show up.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
This is why I don't understand why people say Ovechkin will "drag down" any line he's on. 8-19-77 hasn't been good since the beginning of last season. It's not a recent thing. Meanwhile Ovechkin has had success with Kuznetsov.

And it's not like the second line has some unbreakable chemistry right now either that would make it difficult to mix up the top 6. Johansson had a nice game against the Rangers but aside from that he's been a turnover machine. Williams hasn't been much better. Kuznetsov has made some great individual plays but his wingers aren't contributing enough.

Flip 19 and 92 for 5 games or so. If it doesn't work then fine, go back. But there is actual tangible evidence that Ovechkin performs much better away from Backstrom and specifically with Kuznetsov. And his play can't get much worse right now.

8-19-77 hasn't been good since last year? Um ok. You must have a different definition of good than I do.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Didn't watch the game tonight. Need some rest before April :D

I've stated it numerous times - Kuznetsov's fast legs are what Ovi needs for his twilight years. It's just obvious thing (for me).

Backstrom can play different game and it's easier to find partners for him. This what they should do. So there will be 2 adequate lines. One offensive with Kuzy and Ovi and one Backstrom's for all other purposes.

Today maybe is not the time for it yet... but the writing is on the wall I think. Trading Ovi is not in the cards so the faster center with crazy puck moves is a way to go.

PS: LOL at those suggesting trading our best playoff dman to make space for KSK.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Seems like the Caps in are 'we know we're very good so we can half-ass and still beat you' mode. Execution in transition has really fallen off. Part of it's probably ice conditions but there's not much urgency.

Just like last season.

Sep 19, 2008
Good game although I was concerned with the sloppy play early and missed passes. Perhaps the ice had something to do with it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I noticed a lot of players falling down. Usually a sign of bad ice. so....

So Ov Backstrom and Oshie aren't good and never have been. Learn something new everyday.
I guess I am results oriented and that's a mistake. Oshie leads the team in EVG with 17 and is tied with Johansson. Williams is 4th with 15. So, I am not seeing the evidence that Johansson and Williams aren't successful with Kuznetsov either.

Oh and the team is winning their share of games too.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ahhhhhh... where did the freaking offense go?

1. 5-0 was not sustainable.
2. Teams see what the Caps doing and are adjusting. In desperation they have gone to a 1-4 traps. Orpik said it clearly in his between periods interview. "the way they are defending, we need to dump it in and get it back."

The whole idea of playing a trap is to sucker the offense into trying to pass and skate thru the gauntlet and turn the puck over in the neutral zone. Its like quick sand. The more you struggle against it, the worse it gets. You beat a trap by being patient.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I noticed a lot of players falling down. Usually a sign of bad ice. so....

So Ov Backstrom and Oshie aren't good and never have been. Learn something new everyday.
I guess I am results oriented and that's a mistake. Oshie leads the team in EVG with 17 and is tied with Johansson. Williams is 4th with 15. So, I am not seeing the evidence that Johansson and Williams aren't successful with Kuznetsov either.

Oh and the team is winning their share of games too.

When your best goal scorer has gone 23 games without an even strength goal, it might be time to look at different options.

The team is still good with it's current lineup but they aren't optimized to their full potential.

If we end up winning the cup I have no doubt that it'll be with the top 6 centres flipped.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
One of the most enjoyable parts of winning games against the likes of the Flyers or the Rangers is reading their boards after such wins.:laugh:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Three Stars:
1. Holtby, another solid game
2. Wilson, another strong game, heart and soul performance, blocking shots and just agitating
3. Oshie, hustles, involved at the offensive end and quickly got back to be the first forward back in the defensive end, did it all night

It's going to take Shattenkirk a few games for him to get comfortable with this team and vice versa.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
a real shame that Wilson put the puck thru Mason's legs but it went wide. Might be it would have hit Mason were it on the net, but it was another nice play by the kid. I loved watching him checking Simmons. Would be an epic playoff battle.

With this recent jump in quality of play, I barely notice the other two guys on his line. Beagle is great but Wilson's play just dwarfs him.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
another game, and another reason(s) why oshie needs to be extended at just about any cost.

if he was faster, he'd be the most complete player ive seen in some time.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Just like last season.
And the year before. But it is a small sample size so I'm not yet ready to believe they're headed down the same path. If they go out west and play this way they're going to have a rough trip. Part it, too, is I think they've become used to home games being automatic wins and have let up (esp. against weaker teams they can coast on). Their game at MSG was much better after the first period once they got it together.

Beagle hasn't been noticeable offensively since...the Dallas OTGWG? He's been the weakest part of that line for a while. The third line has also gone cold since Burakovsky went out and then Connolly got shuffled around.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The strategy against trapping teams is going to have to be all about gaining the zone and taking advantage of mistakes. You don't have to become a 100% "heavy" team again, and you don't have to get bogged down in 60 minutes of garbage like the Flyers and Devils have tried.

You aren't going to find many fast, offensively talented teams that prefer to trap so you're dealing with a lot of muckers and a few PFs. You don't have to worry too much about being on your heels against breaks in the other direction when the puck is coughed up, and you don't have to "pin them deep" when you gain the zone. That's actually what they want.

Play your usual "weave" style in the offensive zone, once you get set up.

But in order to get to the offensive zone you may have to dump/chase hard and always be on the lookout for bad line changes you can rush off of. This is going to be on the players quite a bit, especially the d-men, but it will also be on Trotz and his coaches to try to find at least a few times a game where the opponent has a gassed line on the ice and a quick change to a speed line can produce a breakaway or odd-man rush.

This is what made the Rangers so dangerous a few years ago. Trotz and pals better figure this out otherwise we will be neutralizing our talent and playing coin-flip hockey again, which takes us from a dominant Cup threat to just another decent team rolling the dice in the playoffs.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Playing against "the Trap"

I'm honestly not all that worried about it. The teams that we have prepped for all off season (Pittsburgh, Tampa, and NY Rangers if being honest) won't trap. We are built to play with them, and may be just plain better than them. We will see there.

The trap teams (Philly, NY Islanders, Boston) aren't good enough to win 4 against us. Sure, the series may be more challenging and the Caps could lose say....2 games. But they won't lose to a team like that.

Teams like Toronto and Florida prob won't trap, although they could...but their G's aren't good enough to do much.

I'm not sure what to make of Ottawa and Montreal.....and to some extent, Columbus. All 3 of those teams can play differently if need be, and Montreal and Columbus have amazing goalies, so they worry me in that regard.

That said, we prob only play Ottawa or Montreal in ECF, and prob only Columbus if they best the Pens. So, all 3 of those scenarios are "good" for us in the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm honestly not all that worried about it. The teams that we have prepped for all off season (Pittsburgh, Tampa, and NY Rangers if being honest) won't trap. We are built to play with them, and may be just plain better than them. We will see there.

The trap teams (Philly, NY Islanders, Boston) aren't good enough to win 4 against us. Sure, the series may be more challenging and the Caps could lose say....2 games. But they won't lose to a team like that.

Teams like Toronto and Florida prob won't trap, although they could...but their G's aren't good enough to do much.

I'm not sure what to make of Ottawa and Montreal.....and to some extent, Columbus. All 3 of those teams can play differently if need be, and Montreal and Columbus have amazing goalies, so they worry me in that regard.

That said, we prob only play Ottawa or Montreal in ECF, and prob only Columbus if they best the Pens. So, all 3 of those scenarios are "good" for us in the playoffs.

I tend to agree with this. The Pens and Rangers won't trap. Columbus and Torts..... Montreal? Not so sure you wouldn't see some or a lot of that. CLODE might go right back to the 6 man goalie system.

The difference is that most high end offensive team chafe against the trap and breakdown to it. The Caps have shown they can do what the coach plans and that they are just as comfortable outdefending a team as outscoring them.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The 3rd line really needs Bura. They've still had some good games but that line was created a mis-match back when he was still healthy, and he was clearly the guy driving the offense there. Vrana shows glimpses but Burakovsky can make a big impact there.

Meanwhile, Holtby at home: 22-5-1. .933 SV% and 1.69 GAA which is just insanely good. 7 shutouts in 29 games too. At this rate he's heading for another Vezina.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Teams will sit back once they have a lead on them. The key is for this team to get the lead and force teams to open it up (leading to more counter opportunities). It's why they need to be aggressive early and not passively wade into games like they did so much down the stretch last season. Teams can sit back too much on them, stop skating and give away the momentum. The danger is more teams that are able to both forecheck effectively and mush their transition while maintaining tight defensive structure.

They will have to add more of a heavy element to sustained offensive pressure in stalemate type games. Dirty goals and net drive have to become more of a staple of what they do offensively (if for no other reason than to be better in drawing penalties). You don't expect it from certain forwards but physicality and power have to be there because they're not so cerebral in sustained possession to break teams down otherwise. It's still going to be team defense that's the most consistent area of their game but you'd hope they'll seek to refine their game down the stretch rather than just tick off the days again until the playoffs.

Thankfully the schedule is pretty strong so circumstances should lead to them needing to play more of a quality game to be successful. A couple WC road trips, two vs. MIN & CBJ and others fighting for playoff spots/positioning.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I didn't think it was a bad game. Lack of discipline prevents us from putting multiple goals on the board, it disrupts our momentum. Other than that, we're still getting a lot of chances. Mason stood on his head.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Beagle hasn't been noticeable offensively since...the Dallas OTGWG? He's been the weakest part of that line for a while. The third line has also gone cold since Burakovsky went out and then Connolly got shuffled around.

Yeah, Winnik and Wilson have taken their game up a notch (or two), Beagle stayed more or less level.

3rd line -- wasn't nearly the same with Sanford, and they are getting no ice time with Vrana; but possession-wise, they are still doing very well, and that's encouraging.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
1. 5-0 was not sustainable.
2. Teams see what the Caps doing and are adjusting. In desperation they have gone to a 1-4 traps. Orpik said it clearly in his between periods interview. "the way they are defending, we need to dump it in and get it back."

The whole idea of playing a trap is to sucker the offense into trying to pass and skate thru the gauntlet and turn the puck over in the neutral zone. Its like quick sand. The more you struggle against it, the worse it gets. You beat a trap by being patient.

Williams has said it too in the post game interview.

The Devils and the Flyers (actually it seemed the Devils did the ole 0-5 trap!) have just resorted to completely sitting back Guy Boucher/Hunter Hockey style

That is a good cheesy strategy against a superior team (think when Switzerland plays Canada in the Olympics). Narrow it down to as close to a coin flip as possible.

Caps did a good job not getting frustrated (like they did in the 2011 playoffs vs Tampa)

(mod)

The Caps went 3-0-1 vs Philly this year. Philly's lone win came at home in a SO...

Caps have outscored them 13-5 (13-4 if you remove the shootout goal) this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad