News Article: Flyers stand pat at trade deadline

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And they cut out so that Sam Donellon can speak more.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We had our bomb drop weeks ago. If we had traded Schenn and Lecavalier today at the deadline it would have been an incredibly successful day. We just got our present early.

EliteProvorovSanheim

Jun 28, 2015
I think the fact that MacDonald wasn't waived is an indication that the Flyers view him as an NHL player who does not possess negative value in a trade.

Eventhough, he's extremely overpayed especially comparing his contract to the one Coburn just signed, he's played rather well of late. Playing within himself and not trying to overdo has resulted positively.

With that said, if the interest for Jordan Staal are true and Hextall could include AMAC as part of a realistic trade package without overpaying, I'd do do it in a heartbeat. Even with Staal's contract ( 6 more year at 6MAAV). AMAC still has 4 years left at 5M AAV. Couts and Staal would be beast down the middle. Nothing more needs to be said about their shutdown defensive prowess but with the right linemates, both would also shine offensively.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Not being buyers at the deadline is something you can sell to the team but being sellers when Voracek and MDZ is out would have been a kick in the stones to the veterans especially those playing injured.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't mind it if Umberger were traded on retained salary, I just don't mind if he were bought out too. We don't want to be stuck at next year's deadline with 3 retained salaries again. I think buyout is the safer route when you're considering that we may be retaining on MacDonald and Streit, and trusting they Lecavalier does indeed retire. What if things fall apart and they decide to trade Mason?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I just remembered he has an NMC so a buyout is probably the simplest and easiest method of moving on.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Eventhough, he's extremely overpayed especially comparing his contract to the one Coburn just signed, he's played rather well of late. Playing within himself and not trying to overdo has resulted positively.

With that said, if the interest for Jordan Staal are true and Hextall could include AMAC as part of a realistic trade package without overpaying, I'd do do it in a heartbeat. Even with Staal's contract ( 6 more year at 6MAAV). AMAC still has 4 years left at 5M AAV. Couts and Staal would be beast down the middle. Nothing more needs to be said about their shutdown defensive prowess but with the right linemates, both would also shine offensively.
Agreed. If they could send AMac in a deal for Jordan, it would make the contract more palatable. And it would drive the Pens crazy, as an added bonus.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Agreed. If they could send AMac in a deal for Jordan, it would make the contract more palatable. And it would drive the Pens crazy, as an added bonus.

This hasn't really been considered has it? Why in the world would the Canes part with Staal, and if they did, why for AMac? That would be a ridiculous heist. I can't see even a brain-dead monkey making that deal. We would have to throw some other considerable asset.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
This hasn't really been considered has it? Why in the world would the Canes part with Staal, and if they did, why for AMac? That would be a ridiculous heist. I can't see even a brain-dead monkey making that deal. We would have to throw some other considerable asset.

It was just some kind of rumour. Clearly the Flyers would have to send something good back to the Canes. I'm sure it wasn't a realistic possibility.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I was happy to wake up and hear that we had stood pat at the deadline. I would have liked to shed a contract or two, but this team has played hard and it's good that they get to stick together for the final push down the stretch. Most important of all, we kept our prospect pool together.

Heading forward, I just don't see a lot of guys around the league that I like or want more than I want to see our prospects come through the system and given a shot. Guys like NAK and Lindblom - I'd rather our current guys keep a place warm for those two than go out and spend on a FA like Boedker or someone.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-wrapping-up-the-nhl-trade-deadline/

3. Ottawa’s Bryan Murray admitted he tried to pry Drouin loose. Don’t know the potential return, but the Lightning spent a lot of time scouting Boston College centre Colin White, taken 21st overall in the 2015 Draft. A few sources said not to discount Philadelphia, even though the Flyers don’t get mentioned a lot. They’ve got a lot of good, young prospects. No question the uncertainty over Steven Stamkos factored into Yzerman’s decision. Another important factor: how will Nikita Kucherov’s next contract affect Tampa’s salary structure?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad