News Article: Flyers stand pat at trade deadline

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
He probably shopped around ufas, and found no takers. Maybe he kicked tires on drouin. He said he wasn't going to be a buyer and he wasnt.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
Disappointing is right. Feels like somewhat of a missed opportunity even if the returns today in general have been mehh. On the other hand Ron doesn't have to convince anyone this year that they are not pushing for the playoffs.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Looks like the action will come at the draft and leading up to the summer. We have a good amount of picks and also some players who might be more attractive to teams in the summer when cap is known and space is more readily available.

Hexy will also be able to retain salary on players in the summer. Hopefully he manages to move MacDonald and Umberger while doing so. Umberger you most likely need to retain the max 50% in order for anyone to even think about it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I imagine it was a combo of a few things:

1: Jake and MDZ down, so less flex to move pieces.

2: No ability to retain on contracts.

3: Salary cap uncertainty for next season.

4: Being very close to playoffs.

5: Diminishing returns of 'filler' pieces.

Combined to mean that it really made no sense to move guys out...

I mean, what would the point be in moving Medvedev, Gagner or White for ~5th-6th round picks or the likes and then in two weeks be in a playoff spot and a Dman and forward go down in same game?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Had the Flyers held on to Vinny and Schenn until the deadline and moved them today, it would have been seen as a successful day.

Move along.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
I knew we wouldn't trade anyone after Polak, Reimer and Hudler were all swept up, though remained interested on the Drouin developments. This is fine for the team in the long run, though hopefully we're able to move some players at the draft.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like the action will come at the draft and leading up to the summer. We have a good amount of picks and also some players who might be more attractive to teams in the summer when cap is known and space is more readily available.

Hexy will also be able to retain salary on players in the summer. Hopefully he manages to move MacDonald and Umberger while doing so. Umberger you most likely need to retain the max 50% in order for anyone to even think about it.

I'd rather buyout Umberger instead of retaining and taking a loss.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'd rather buyout Umberger instead of retaining and taking a loss.

It just comes down to if they value 2.3 million in lost cap this year compared to the 1.6 million for two years.

Honestly if it was me, I take the 2.3 million and end it after this year. Problem is there probably isn't anyone out there that wants him.

EliteProvorovSanheim

Jun 28, 2015
Disappointing, but anticipated.

Extremely disappointing especially with all the hype going in. Got sucked in completely, I must say.

Anyway, several things were in play that swayed the direction toward inactivity.

First, not alot of interest in the Flyers players and if so, the value coming back was nominal in Hextall's mind.

Secondly, Hextall wants to ride this wave to playoffs for as long as it'll take him. He views this experience as being invaluable to all the player especially the younger ones.

Thirdly, depth is crucial this time of year. Not having it especially with ill timed injuries has caused the demised of many teams. Wasn't worth compromising the depth for underwhelming returns.

I said this countless times. This is looked upon as a rebuild year and the fact they are still in the running to make the playoffs is a big BONUS.

With the Ghost' unexpected performance this year, the current surprising play of Laughton, and Cousins as well as the excitement that prospects like Provorov, Sanheim , and Konecny are generating, Flyers fans have to be excited with what the future brings.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It just comes down to if they value 2.3 million in lost cap this year compared to the 1.6 million for two years.

Honestly if it was me, I take the 2.3 million and end it after this year. Problem is there probably isn't anyone out there that wants him.

I think it depends on what they can do with other contracts. If they can dump MacDonald or Schultz I don't mind I guess, but I think I'd take my chances with the lower cap hit spread out. We'll have guys one ELC's coming out. Find someone on a PTO if we have to.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Well we have to think.

Most likely players who will be rumored about this summer

Streit
Read
MacDonald(could take a miracle)
Umberger
Schultz

I don't think we will see many others though.

I wouldn't mind shopping our 1st rounder(depending where it finishes) and other younger assets like Hagg, Laughton, Cousins and maybe a few others depending on what the deal looks like. If we want a young player who will be here for a while like a Drouin we will have to part with youth to make it happen.

Still really like the idea of adding a player like Trouba. He would compliment the top 6 so well but only problem would be the asking price. Still, you never know. Look at what some others were traded for. Price might not be as steep as many think.

EliteProvorovSanheim

Jun 28, 2015
Does anyone know how we stand with the 2016/17 cap assuming it goes down $4M as expected? Also, factoring in Jake's, Raffl's and Couts AAV increases in addition to assuming Schenn's anticipated (guessing) $4.5 AAV.

Wondering if enough $$ remaining to possibly retain Medvedev with his slight increase? I think it's highly unlikely he'll be retained, I just think with a full year under his belt and an off season to prepare, he steps up in a big way next year.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Does anyone know how we stand with the 2016/17 cap assuming it goes down $4M as expected? Also, factoring in Jake's, Raffl's and Couts AAV increases in addition to assuming Schenn's anticipated (guessing) $4.5 AAV.

Wondering if enough $$ remaining to possibly retain Medvedev with his slight increase? I think it's highly unlikely he'll be retained, I just think with a full year under his belt and an off season to prepare, he steps up in a big way next year.

Unlikely it goes down much, if at all tbh... the NHLPA can simply use the escalator to keep it up in the range it is this year.

It is seemingly posturing on the NHLPA's part due to not being super happy over a few things... but not using escalator would basically be screwing themselves tbh.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think the fact that MacDonald wasn't waived is an indication that the Flyers view him as an NHL player who does not possess negative value in a trade.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall says...

Good news about Voracek, out 2 weeks. Had no impact on his dealings today.

Nothing came up that made sense.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I was hoping to see Gagner moved for a 5th rounder or something. I would have thought some team would want him for scoring depth in case of injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad