Confirmed with Link: Flyers signed Zack Stortini

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
The use of a contract spot is probably the most useless thing to complain about too. We have 42 contracts now and he is signed for one year. We don't think he is useful here either trade him or he goes as a UFA. I don't think Hexy will get up to 50 contracts so adding a player won't be a difficult thing to do if we need to,
I haven't seen anyone complaining about that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, that was my point. People have no knowledge of either one's intentions, yet Hextall's are construed in a positive light and Holmgren's in a negative one. Not by everyone, of course, I was just generalizing a bit.

But a signing like this, we never knew. Holmgren never did them. He always signed college players instead.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Yeah, that was my point. People have no knowledge of either one's intentions, yet Hextall's are construed in a positive light and Holmgren's in a negative one. Not by everyone, of course, I was just generalizing a bit.

Had Holmgren signed Stortini, it would have been considered in exactly the same way. The only difference is that Holmgren wouldn't have signed Stortini because he didn't care about the Phantoms (or have a reason to care about the Phantoms).

Nobody would have construed this as a possible NHL signing regardless of who our GM was.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Had Holmgren signed Stortini, it would have been considered in exactly the same way.
Nobody would have construed this as a possible NHL signing regardless of who our GM was.
Well, we'll never know.
The only difference is that Holmgren wouldn't have signed Stortini because he didn't care about the Phantoms (or have a reason to care about the Phantoms).
He did have a reason to care about them. So don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend his decisions.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is that sarcasm or what are you getting at? I seriously can't tell from the way you phrased this.

I'm not sure how that wasn't clear. Holmgren seldom brought in quality, reliable AHL players. It didn't help that the pool of his own prospects was always awful.

It may be met more tersely had this been a Holmgren signing, but Holmgren has a record of making terrible signings. Stortini knows he's going to the AHL, while Paul Holmgren refused to waive Jody Shelley and Riley Cote and sent them to the Phantoms because he felt bad for them since he told them they were NHL players.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I'm not sure how that wasn't clear. Holmgren seldom brought in quality, reliable AHL players. It didn't help that the pool of his own prospects was always awful.
Oh OK, I wasn't sure whether you were smileylessly mocking me or what :) As for bringing in quality, reliable AHL players, I guess only time will tell if Hextall starts doing that. Andrew Gordon is a start, but that's only one player. I'm not sure what's wrong with giving college players a shot, though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

He had Denis Hamel for two years. You see the results of the team, they obviously did not have good AHL players. There were no Peter White's and John Slaney's

Oh OK, I wasn't sure whether you were smileylessly mocking me or what :) As for bringing in quality, reliable AHL players, I guess only time will tell if Hextall starts doing that. Andrew Gordon is a start, but that's only one player. I'm not sure what's wrong with giving college players a shot, though.

There's nothing wrong with giving college players a shot. They too need to be put position to succeed though.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Homer got harsher criticism because he he already had a clear history to go by and because he used up all of the faith pretty quickly with bad signings. Homer had a track record of ignoring our farm team and a penchant for making bad NHL signings often enough, especially as far as fringe and depth players are concerned.

Hextall doesn't have any bad track record to go by and any track record he has is the Hartnell trade and a successful Assistant GM stint in LA. He hasn't given a reason to doubt him or to lambast him immediately. That's the difference and it's fair.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Love Stortini. Let him whoop up on guys in the AHL and I'm sure we'll see him in a handful of games for the Flyers if injuries abound.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
This is a Gostisbehere protection policy. The AHL is still littered with guys trying to get noticed by taking runs at star players. Stortini is there to break the face of whoever tries it on Ghost. I watched him play 2 or 3 games here in Norfolk last season. He can absolutely destroy just about every fighter in the AHL.

On a sidenote, expect Cousins to be emboldenend as **** next year with Mathers and Stortini running around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad