Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign U of Maine Forward Steven Swavely to ATO with Phantoms

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ty-maine-captain-steven-swavely-ato/81507980/

The college season is over for some teams and the Flyers have already dipped into the free-agent market.

Steven Swavely, the captain of the University of Maine Black Bears, signed an amateur tryout with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms of the American Hockey League. He will soon join the team for the rest of the regular season.

Swavely, 24, had nine goals and 10 assists in 39 games this season. The center won the most faceoffs in Hockey East this season and averaged 3.82 shots per game. He played both sides of special teams, with four power-play assists and two of his goals coming shorthanded.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/707387957884428288
@frank_seravalli
#Flyers signed undrafted FA Steven Swavely, captain of Maine, to ATO w Phantoms per @davegisaac. It's believed Winnipeg was also interested.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=157947

From Reading, PA

Clip of him scoring at the beginning here:

Last edited:

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
My college buddy is friends with this kid. They went to Maine to watch him play a couple weeks, maybe a month ago.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Flyers have been pretty quiet in recent years in the NCAA market. Goes to show they must like the kid somewhat to give him a ATO.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Flyers are always linked to a bunch of guys each year just haven't quite reeled em in.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Flyers have been pretty quiet in recent years in the NCAA market. Goes to show they must like the kid somewhat to give him a ATO.

Not to state the obvious, but he also played for the Junior Flyers prior to college- so he really was / is not an unknown. I have allot of respect for guys that choose the college route- especially if they know they are bubble players in regards to ever landing a pro contract(NHL, AHL, ECHL or other minor leagues etc.). Get your education / degree, so if things don't pan out, you have a safety net.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I played college hockey with his older brother. Steve was was better than his brother when he was like 16 and his brother was like 20. He has another brother that played for Maine too but Steve was the best of the bunch. Still don't think he will be an NHL player.

RJ8812*

You realize points don't make players who they are. Read a full scouting report not just his points year over year

No, but at the College/Junior level, the vast majority of NHL players, no matter what their role is, put up at least good numbers at that level.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
A 24 year old captain, college senior, good at faceoffs and plays both special teams? Sounds good to me.

Foolish to expect anyone we sign to be an NHLer. He should be a fine addition to the Phantoms. And perhaps with the right amount of work ethic, he cracks the Flyers and helps the team somewhere down the road.

RJ8812*

Do people know what an ATO is?

yeah, it's an amateur try-out. It's a pretty common thing for college and junior players to sign ATOs once their season is done in order to finish off the rest of the year in the NHL/AHL

However, if an NCAA player signs an ATO, his college hockey career is over.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
yeah, it's an amateur try-out. It's a pretty common thing for college and junior players to sign ATOs once their season is done in order to finish off the rest of the year in the NHL/AHL

However, if an NCAA player signs an ATO, his college hockey career is over.
I know what it is. Seems like some people do not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad