Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Noah Cates to ELC (March 27, 2022)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Those first ten games where the team went 5-3-2 were a real cluster f***. The team really started to settle in during that ten game losing streak"

Even if their play did improve after the start of the season, lmao
All I heard during those ten games was it was a fluke, driven by Hart. Which I agreed at the time.
When you look at Corsi and xGF, the team made a huge jump after those ten games.

Yeah, Sedlak and Brown and Cates ooze speed at the center ice position. I love a shifting narrative: Hayes’ points are up because he’s healthy now, what a player! But also: he’s permanently slower, crippled really, and will never play the center ice position again — a darn shame. And yet, he’s also one of the better puck carriers.

I’d love for someone to even tell me what the scheme is that requires speed. Because there is no speed on the roster. They don’t play fast.
Sedlak is a good skater, Cates better than expected, Brown, well, he can challenge hobbled Laczynski in a race.
Of course, Brown was a RW until recently.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
All I heard during those ten games was it was a fluke, driven by Hart. Which I agreed at the time.
When you look at Corsi and xGF, the team made a huge jump after those ten games.

Sedlak is a good skater, Cates better than expected, Brown, well, he can challenge hobbled Laczynski in a race.
Of course, Brown was a RW until recently.

There's another shifted narrative, actually. All last year when I was saying that there could be plenty of room to fit prospects if you put them out of position or on their off side (or did the same with veteran players), you insisted that would be a disaster for everyone; the prospects would be confused, the veterans would be uncomfortable and unhappy. Nobody could cope. You insisted positional shifting was a horrible idea, as a means of defending the team refusing to find ways to get prospects who were obviously ready in the lineup. There was much talk echoing the Cronymind about "fit" and "roles" and such.

Tortorella is shifting guys all over the place and now, suddenly, it's not a horrible idea rife with negatives. We haven't heard a squeak of critique from you on that front. I'm sure it's a very wise, sage move now. Sound coaching, great development, etc.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I want to applaud the way that Tortorella has handled this roster. It’s a terrible team. Perhaps the poorest in franchise history. Torts has squeezed the worst out of it to the point where the fool who created it is most likely and justifiably on a death watch.
Once Briere gets in on the job, the clowns that are here will have been totally exposed and be sent packing. Then we can see who can play where and with whom.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I want to applaud the way that Tortorella has handled this roster. It’s a terrible team. Perhaps the poorest in franchise history. Torts has squeezed the worst out of it to the point where the fool who created it is most likely and justifiably on a death watch.
Once Briere gets in on the job, the clowns that are here will have been totally exposed and be sent packing. Then we can see who can play where and with whom.

Briere is one of the clowns though.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I can get comfortable with this to a degree. As the 13th forward he’s fine. I’m tired of seeing the Wilsons, Martins and the like taking liberties with the Flyers. If/when the young guys are elevated, they could use “protection” from the goons

Protection is fake. Deslauriers will not stop any of them from doing anything. Nor has he this year. The 90s are gone. Wilson can manually rip Frost's head off, and then Deslauriers can just sit on the bench all game and pout as Wilson skates away from him. Meanwhile the team is a man down on offense for every second he is on the ice.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Couts was playing, Cates would probably be at LW.

Right now, JVR is perfect for Frost, b/c he can help bring out Frost's offense, if it's there.

And it's certainly not going to hurt Cates down the road if he plays center this year, the best scenario is Couts returns, Frost steps up and they add another center (Gauthier, draft, trade) and Cates returns to LW. But he'd be prepared to step in if there are injuries.

Meh. Deslauriers is a 12th man and used as such.
Solid forechecker, limited otherwise, but what do you have at the 12th forward on most teams.
Overpaid but has set the tone.
In a couple years he'll be buried or moved to a team that wants an "enforcer'.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I remember a game this year, where one of our guys (non fighter) got jumped around our own net. While I'm watching this guy (don't remember who it was) try to hold his own, there in the background, like five feet away, is Nic D with a big smile cheering our guy on. I couldn't help but laugh. The goon squad "protection" thing is a myth.

As for Cates, I like him as a defensive forward/role player type. I have a soft spot for good role players, as my name implies. And I think he could be a useful piece if used correctly. Ideally for me he's a bottom 6 wing, who can also fill in for spot duty higher up the lineup if needed.
He's got a good active stick, seems pretty good at disrupting plays and being pesky as a forechecker. In that sense, as annoying as it may be, it shouldn't be a surprise that Torts favors him. Offensively I really don't see much more than the typical grinder; dig the puck out of the corner and get it to your skill guys. And that's fine. I do think he can be useful in that regard.

Also, those of you who track analytics and/or have a deeper knowledge base when it comes to hockey, feel free to critique away on my "eye test" takes. I have no desire to do what you guys do, but I definitely respect and appreciate that you do. I'm happy to learn things, even if it means my eyes are fooling me.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Protection is fake. Deslauriers will not stop any of them from doing anything. Nor has he this year. The 90s are gone. Wilson can manually rip Frost's head off, and then Deslauriers can just sit on the bench all game and pout as Wilson skates away from him. Meanwhile the team is a man down on offense for every second he is on the ice.
The next time that Martin, Wilson, Hathaway or another jerk physically abuses a young Flyer remember that. There are still enough 90’s Dino’s roaming the league to cause trouble.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
The next time that Martin, Wilson, Hathaway or another jerk physically abuses a young Flyer remember that. There are still enough 90’s Dino’s roaming the league to cause trouble.
It’s not a matter of those guys not doing goon shit. They will, it’s what they perceive to be their meal ticket. It’s whether our own goon will do anything to act as a deterrent.

And the amount of time the flyers get run, it doesn’t really seem like much of a deterrent.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The next time it happens, remember it happened with Deslauriers on the team. Hell, it's already happened numerous times. Nobody gives a shit about Deslauriers. NHL players aren't afraid of NHL players. Hell, Wilson didn't have any fear of a Simmonds who was more fearsome than Deslauriers. Where was this supposed fear of tough guys keeping the opposition in check as Kronwall crunched Voracek's brain? It's totally nonsense.

It's fake. It's a narrative pushed by a bunch of retired goons in management and media who want to pretend they were relevant.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I can get comfortable with this to a degree. As the 13th forward he’s fine. I’m tired of seeing the Wilsons, Martins and the like taking liberties with the Flyers. If/when the young guys are elevated, they could use “protection” from the goons
He’s not the 13th forward, though. He plays every game.

Reactions: Rebels57

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
@renberg

Isn't Hamilton taking a liberty on TK the kind of play Deslauriers is supposed to prevent?
Yep. So the next shift that Hughes has, Deslauriers should be out there head hunting. Won't happen.
It's a real shame with the lack of respect that these players show each other at times. It's a great sport but a dangerous one. A serious injury is only a moment away. Need to be careful. You can compete without being reckless.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yep. So the next shift that Hughes has, Deslauriers should be out there head hunting. Won't happen.
It's a real shame with the lack of respect that these players show each other at times. It's a great sport but a dangerous one. A serious injury is only a moment away. Need to be careful. You can compete without being reckless.

It's not the 90s anymore. Deslauriers does that and hands the opposition a 9 minute PP. The Devil's laugh and thank him as they score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad