Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Marc Staal 1 x $1.1m

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not sure Attard is even viewed as a legit prospect anymore. He flashed a bit in his stint two years ago and didn't even get a sniff last year. Unless there's a change of heart, he's probably not here in 12 months.

Zamula will get his time because even this organization won't be dumb enough to waive him, but he's the archetype that Torts tends to bury, so I would expect him to be on a short leash all year. You know, the perfect type of approach to take with prospects on a team that's all but assured to be a lottery team this year.

Counter: this is possibly the only organization dumb enough to waive him

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
:laugh: Bill wasn’t even @‘ed and he still appeared out of nowhere to [poorly] defend the team.

220px-Bat-signal_1989_film.jpg

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Just when you think the Flyers have a clue something like this happens. Seriously, wtf?

I dont care if he can be flipped for a pick at the tdl.

Guess FO wants to make sure we pick at least top5, maybe top3.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Rebuilding.

Holding on to TK, and Laughton is not a rebuild. :laugh:

The depth signings for me don’t matter honestly. I don’t have a lick of trust they are developing a prospect above their expected level of output. I used to want ice time for every kid but with this team is a waste of time.

The talent is going to sink or swim on its own against the tide that is the Flyers development process.

Staal is a Torts boy that’s going to help the tank. High picks are all that matters.
^you can´t swim on concrete or a chair in the press box. I mean you can try... i guess. If you injure yourself by trying they will say your are too soft to play in the nhl!

edit: spelling

Last edited:

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Briere isnt trying to build a winner right now Lou lol
Well if we’re not building a winner , can we have Capt Dave be gm? There’s nothing left to lose

Just when you think the Flyers have a clue something like this happens. Seriously, wtf?

I dont care if he can be flipped for a pick at the tdl.

Guess FO wants to make sure we pick at least top5, maybe top3.
It’s like the ghost of GM past tells the current, take a old defensive guy no one wants

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I can’t muster the energy to be upset by such a nothing signing. York and Zamula will get plenty of playing time. The rest of the younger players can cook a little longer in the AHL. I’m not entirely convinced Sanheim will even be on the roster to start the season, and Staal, Walker, and Seeler likely aren’t all here at season’s end.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Last two GMs to pick up Staal, Yzerman and Zito.
Obviously, it wasn't for his offensive skills, and why would a rebuilding Detroit team want him around?
Probably as a placeholder so Yzerman didn't have to rush his young D-men, and as a mentor.
His second season in Detroit, his minutes dropped as they brought in Leddy (30), DeKeyser (31), Oesterle (29) along with Seider (20) and Walman (25).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sean is both the hero whom we want and the hero whom we need.
That says some awful things about us though, doesn’t it? :laugh:

Only in the presence of guys like Meltzer, Baskow, and the other beats is he not the biggest idiot in the room.

I don’t think he’d mind me saying that. He knows he’s a moron.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Last two GMs to pick up Staal, Yzerman and Zito.
Obviously, it wasn't for his offensive skills, and why would a rebuilding Detroit team want him around?
Probably as a placeholder so Yzerman didn't have to rush his young D-men, and as a mentor.
His second season in Detroit, his minutes dropped as they brought in Leddy (30), DeKeyser (31), Oesterle (29) along with Seider (20) and Walman (25).
Detroit took him because the Rangers gave them a 2nd round pick to dump him.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
This isn’t pro sports in the 70’s where you listened to the coach and that’s it. Players and player unions have long fought for the players to have more and more say in todays game.

When you have a coach that isn’t able to directly talk to his players regardless of age it’s a huge issue. That’s a sign of a person who doesn’t believe there is a reason to change with the way sports are going the last 2/3 decades. Younger, more willing to engage coaches have been the trend in almost every sport but the NHL with a few exceptions. The league has nobody to blame but them selves and their retreads they constantly put out there.

So in all. f*** them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Reactions: Stubu and Danko

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
This isn’t pro sports in the 70’s where you listened to the coach and that’s it. Players and player unions have long fought for the players to have more and more say in todays game.

When you have a coach that isn’t able to directly talk to his players regardless of age it’s a huge issue. That’s a sign of a person who doesn’t believe there is a reason to change with the way sports are going the last 2/3 decades. Younger, more willing to engage coaches have been the trend in almost every sport but the NHL with a few exceptions. The league has nobody to blame but them selves and their retreads they constantly put out there.

So in all. f*** them.

If Torts worked in a regular job, he would get fired from a managerial position in a week. Or find himself with a scratched up car sooner.

It’s not a bad thing for players to expect to be treated with respect. If the only way a HC knows to motivate his players is by punishment or tough love…

Frankly it’s the kind of little penis guys that drive big trucks for nothing but ego.

The Flyers pride themselves on making life for their players harder than it needs to be. Some sort of archaic hazing or indoctrination. For a team that had its president of hockey ops come out, and say he wants to basically make Philly an attractive destination again… Only a fool would think Torts isn’t a hindrance to that.

They have so clearly doubled down on bringing back the Flyers of old. That identity. If not the bullies but the 90s. They want guys who buy into that. It’s a strategy alright.. but if I’m a guy that has a chance to go elsewhere. I do without hesitation.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad