Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign goalie Troy Grosenick, 1 year 1 way

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

This is a strange one because he has 4 NHL games and has been incredible in them but never got a shot to stick. This was the level of goaltender I was expecting though.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Worth a shot. This could prove to be a win and if it doesn’t work out got some depth.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Even decent signings like this one I still can't be excited for or happy about because it genuinely doesn't matter. Even if it pans out they're just throwing a good player into a blender and makes me think of all the good players who were wasted here. That's the saddest part.

Reactions: Evergreen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's depth for Ersson and a viable option if Sandstrom can't handle the backup job or Fedotov can't sneak out of Russia.
Probably as good as a lot of NHL backups, has had a really good AHL run the last five years or so.
I mean Mrazek keeps landing jobs.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
You know what they say about goalies. They save their best stuff for when they're age 33... Right? They do say that right?

I mean, Tim Thomas came out of nowhere a few seasons later than that and then retired early after dominating for a few seasons. Osgood played (not well) until he was almost 50. A zamboni driver beat the Leafs and did okay in an emergency situation.

The dude has great stats in the AHL and has both had barely any NHL shot and has performed just as great in the times he's been up. At the very least it's not unrealistic he's potentially a capable NHL backup. It is odd that he hasn't been given any real shot yet.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016

Troy Grosenick​

SCOUTING REPORT
Highly athletic and fluid, he has the ability to regularly make the spectacular save. Shows awareness and locates the puck well. Goes all out for the save and gets superb extension getting to the puck. Brings size and was dominant at the college level. Sometimes relies too heavily on his instincts and athleticism, and can get caught out of position. Occasionally goes into his butterfly too quickly. Has a quick glove hand but can seem awkward at times with it. Must show he can be more consistent overall.

Type of player: Athletic, depth goaltender.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It really doesn't matter. Just means he'll be getting his full salary regardless
That's one way you can use the checkbook - sign AHL types to NHL contracts, you have to pay money but they don't count against the Cap when you send them down (and who cares whether they clear waivers!).

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I mean, Tim Thomas came out of nowhere a few seasons later than that and then retired early after dominating for a few seasons. Osgood played (not well) until he was almost 50. A zamboni driver beat the Leafs and did okay in an emergency situation.

The dude has great stats in the AHL and has both had barely any NHL shot and has performed just as great in the times he's been up. At the very least it's not unrealistic he's potentially a capable NHL backup. It is odd that he hasn't been given any real shot yet.
Osgood played in the NHL until he was 38 and only played 34 games across his last 2 seasons...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It also discourages teams from from plucking him off waivers unless someone absolutely needs a goaltender in a pinch.
Exactly. One-ways are one tool rich clubs can use to scare away waiver poachers.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Exactly. One-ways are one tool rich clubs can use to scare away waiver poachers.
Yeah, they don’t want to get stuck paying a guy if no one claims him back. But someone who needs bodies to finish the season will think differently. I’d think they will do due diligence signing more goalies though to AHL deals with all the trouble they had last year

Reactions: Larry44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad