Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Cam York To Two Year Contract ($1.6M AAV)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting to see how the rest of the top 2019 first round picks have gone contract wise.

Four long term deals so far, and I assume Zegras will make it five. Turcotte seems like he's a bust.

1. Hughes - 8 x $8m started age 21
2. Kakko - 2 x $2.1m started age 21
3. Dach - 4 x $3.625m started age 21
4. Byram - 2 x $3.85m starting age 22
5. Turcotte - One year left on ELC (0 P in 12 NHL GP)

6. Seider - One year left on ELC (92 P in 164 GP)
7. Cozens - 7 x $7.1m starting age 22
8. Broberg - One year left on ELC (11 P in 69 NHL GP)
9. Zegras - ELC is done (139 P in 180 NHL GP)
10. Podkolzin - One year left on ELC (33 P in 118 NHL GP)

11. Soderstrom - One year left on ELC (11 P in 50 NHL GP)
12. Boldy - 7 x $7m starting age 22
13. Knight - 3 x $4.5m starting age 22
14. York - 2 x $1.6m
15. Caufield - 7 x $7.85m starting age 22

Have to think York didn’t want a long term deal, but I would have liked to over pay the next 2 years to likely get a deal on the years after.

Yikes that’s bad drafting. I didn’t realize Cozens put up a strong year but that’s terrible.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
I agree but do you think he will be hard to resign if he plays to his max potential after 2 years?
It might not be hard to resign him if he reaches his ceiling but it will cost significantly more. And to ignore that is the Chuck Fletcher Fallacy of thinking that small value losses don't add up to big problems.

Of course, York might have very well taken the position that anything other than a bridge was a non-starter and no one could really blame a player for refusing to sign on for 8 years of The Tortorella Experience

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Obviously I don't think that exact heat map is repeatable, but I do think it fits my general impressions of York's game both positively and negatively.
Offensively, his strong suit seems to be as an in-zone connector. He's only fine in transition. He doesn't come forward particularly well. Or put another way, he doesn't really find his way into open ice between the circles. But he does make the right reads consistently. That's an interesting player because it's so far outside the norm even in a less extreme season.
I agree with you. My only stipulation with this is that the flyers mainly use their Dmen down low on the rush or at the tail-end of a cycle. I highly doubt the flyers would want to develop a system or game plan that utilizes their Dmen down low like this unless your name is Ristolainen. York's statistical error, if you were to use this to develop statistical projections would be through the roof because it's so far from the normal defenseman's profile. If York were to revert back to the mean with his current profile, he would be in the negative for his offensive heat map. Not that it's a bad thing necessarily, but the heavy weight of the high danger areas for his individual impact isn't really sustainable. I can't give any concrete proof of it other than my opinion. It's also heavily dependent upon usage. Flyers are bending themselves over a table every single time they say they need defensive defenseman. In todays NHL even the forwards have to be able to play defense. York can definitely be a facilitator, and I think he is good down low in that regard, but the flyers won't take advantage of that.... well, maybe if Noah Cates is on the ice playing wing so he can go back and take the D spot.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Guys, the player has a right to determine if they want a long term deal or not as well lol. It's not NHL 23 Franchise mode. If you are a player on this team as is, are you signing a long term deal right now? The salary cap is going to go up at some point, your value as a player is at the lowest it will be because of the rebuild, and because of the rebuild the team will be garbage. Players don't take discounts and help losing teams out on team friendly contracts for shit teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad