Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign 2019 3rd round pick Ronnie Attard (D) To 2-year ELC (Could make his NHL debut Saturday, April 2)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Does he count as a call-up? He was never assigned to the Phantoms.

EDIT: Cates/Attard. Not Hodgson.

Yes, Hodgson was officially their third call up.

Does Cates and/or Attard count as a call up if they were signed to an NHL contract and weren't with the Phantoms?

I do not believe Cates would be a call-up. Same for Attard.

Perhaps we’ll see. It’s a dumb rule anyway. Even if you gave teams unlimited recalls past the deadline I doubt they’d go from like 4 to 20 something.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Attard and Cates are 23 (in March and February, respectively).

They're at the age where the team wants to gauge how NHL ready they are, similar to Allison and Laczynski last spring, an AHL cameo and then the NHL.
In this case, going directly to the NHL avoids using a call-up.

Reactions: Hextallent63

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Probably offered to burn a year of the ELC to incite them to sign, at least Attard and probably Brink.
Cates has less leverage.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm not against seeing him in the NHL considering what they are running out there on the 3rd pair this year, and this is the cost of doing business with college players with leverage, but are they really not going to give Zamula any meaningful run this year? Zamula is a much better player and prospect and can play the right side if they have to keep the Sonk master in the lineup. It would have been nice to get him NHL experience to see what you have going into next year. And I know merit is not this organization's M.O., but he has outperformed York who is on the top pair at the moment. :dunno:

I'm no Attard expert but have seen a decent bit of him over the last 3 seasons to have an idea. He gives me Risto vibes, both good and bad. Do I project him to be a sub-replacement level player? I'm not going there, but despite his size and the stereotypes that come with it, he's much better going forward and playing in the offensive end, than going backwards and defending in his zone. Likes to play as a rover, but skating looks average-ish to me. Not sure the hockey sense is top notch either.

After looking like a non-prospect at a 17 and 18 year old, he has now put together four straight seasons of excellent production. I'm not one to bet against these types, but I do have some skepticism. Most of his offense comes from his shot. And while it truly looks like a plus tool, I'm not sure how that translates as a defenseman to the NHL level against NHL defenders and goalies. Passing is still king and he lags behind in that department. WMU didn't even trust him to "QB" the PP. They were content leaving him on PP2 much of the time and having him impersonate Ovy. I'm sure this will be another defenseman that gets PP time over Sanheim, but considering what he excels at, you are probably better off running a forward out there.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They are more likely to develop him into another Myers. They abhor skill and initiative. They seem to develop it out of players. They'll see Attard as a Big Grindy Dman and do all they can to make him into that stereotype.
You're a broken record of extreme negativity. Nobody likes to be around the person who complains 100% of the time.

Reactions: ugiswrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad