Flyers Set Goals for FA Period

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
As the Flyers prepare for Free Agency, the team made it clear that its first priority is to keep its own RFA, Scott Gomez and Mike Fisher. “We’ve told both players that they’re not going anywhere. We’re about $10,000,000 under the cap without those players so we have plenty of room to match potential offers, unless someone goes and offers $7million a year of course.â€

Besides signing their own free agents, the Flyers are expected to go after a defensive LW and a goaltender. “We expect Pascal Leclaire to be the number 1 goaltender and Johnson to be #2 but we’ll sniff around and see if there is a deal out there to be had but we’re not going to sacrifice future cap dollars for stop gap measures.â€

Asked about the team’s interest in Pavol Demitra, the GM explained that the Flyers are curious about the player. “We think he’s an exceptional player.†The GM did say that they were interest in several other players including, Jagr, Koivu and Kozlov but he felt they wouldn’t have the dollars after having to match offers for Scott Gomez and Mike Fisher.

"Its the new cap world, a world with budgets. Rich teams' won't be able to buy assets as they once did, now you have to be strategic with your money and think a few years out."

HFNHL Red Wings

As the Flyers prepare for Free Agency, the team made it clear that its first priority is to keep its own RFA, Scott Gomez and Mike Fisher. “We’ve told both players that they’re not going anywhere. We’re about $10,000,000 under the cap without those players so we have plenty of room to match potential offers, unless someone goes and offers $7million a year of course.”

Besides signing their own free agents, the Flyers are expected to go after a defensive LW and a goaltender. “We expect Pascal Leclaire to be the number 1 goaltender and Johnson to be #2 but we’ll sniff around and see if there is a deal out there to be had but we’re not going to sacrifice future cap dollars for stop gap measures.”

Asked about the team’s interest in Pavol Demitra, the GM explained that the Flyers are curious about the player. “We think he’s an exceptional player.” The GM did say that they were interest in several other players including, Jagr, Koivu and Kozlov but he felt they wouldn’t have the dollars after having to match offers for Scott Gomez and Mike Fisher.

"Its the new cap world, a world with budgets. Rich teams' won't be able to buy assets as they once did, now you have to be strategic with your money and think a few years out."

Me thinks this may be a very savvy strategy ... announce that you will match any offers to convince GM's not to bother bidding up your players and then resign them for only a 10% raise?
I'm still very interested in Fisher ;)

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Fa

Me thinks this may be a very savvy strategy ... announce that you will match any offers to convince GM's not to bother bidding up your players and then resign them for only a 10% raise?
I'm still very interested in Fisher ;)

Not sure if its' savy but I will match all offers for either Fisher or Gomez. One of the main reasons I traded Whitney was to open up cap space. Plus those of you who have asked about Fisher in the trade market know that he was pretty much untouchable. But the new CBA has created a new competitive environment for RFA and I'm certain a few of us will make offers other GM's won't be happy with because it affects other salaries. It should be an interesting FA period.

Flyers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad